Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What happened suddenly to the quality of Honda batteries. My wife's 2013 CRV battery died without warning a few years ago. I didn't think much about it. Just one of those things. We were able to get a new one at Sears on a Sunday. I have for some time just switched out batteries after 3 years just so we don't have to deal with this. Her battery at the time was 2 years old. Yesterday, Thanksgiving Day, my 2.5 yo battery on my 2014 battery died without warning. I took it over to Townsend Honda in Tuscaloosa where I found a line of people waiting. They weren't open! Without warning they decided to close for 3 days! Whoever heard of such. Black Friday is a business day. They also decided to close on Saturday. So I went to Pep Boys and got a Champion battery. Cost an arm and a leg but I was in no position to be choosey. This is my 3rd battery in 5 years! Now I will switch batteries every 2 years!

When did batteries get so worthless. I never had batteries die until the past decade for anything other than leaving the lights on.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Most people dont know how to properly test a battery, fill/maintain a battery and will replace it numerous times without trying to source why the car is draining them.... faulty wiring, parasitic draw, recall, etc

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I've purchased two new Honda batteries this year--one for my CR-V, the other for the Civic. Their price was about the same as better batteries at the local auto parts stores, yet the warranty is far better--I get three years full warranty, with an additional five pro-rated. So I figure if these crap out at two years old, I can go in and swap the batteries and get them replaced for free.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
What happened suddenly to the quality of Honda batteries. My wife's 2013 CRV battery died without warning a few years ago. I didn't think much about it. Just one of those things. We were able to get a new one at Sears on a Sunday. I have for some time just switched out batteries after 3 years just so we don't have to deal with this. Her battery at the time was 2 years old. Yesterday, Thanksgiving Day, my 2.5 yo battery on my 2014 battery died without warning. I took it over to Townsend Honda in Tuscaloosa where I found a line of people waiting. They weren't open! Without warning they decided to close for 3 days! Whoever heard of such. Black Friday is a business day. They also decided to close on Saturday. So I went to Pep Boys and got a Champion battery. Cost an arm and a leg but I was in no position to be choosey. This is my 3rd battery in 5 years! Now I will switch batteries every 2 years!

When did batteries get so worthless. I never had batteries die until the past decade for anything other than leaving the lights on.
Walmart MAXX Everstart batteries are highly rated, cost $119, 3-year free replacement, 5-year prorated, and they are open 24/7 everywhere.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Honda batteries fall in the same statistic slots as others, some are bad, some are great. I have just replaced my Honda Civic's tiny battery last week which finally failed after 12 years of use. My HR-V's original battery only lasted for a year and a half. My 3rd gen's battery was good at 9 years in. My Gen4 is now over 5 years old, we'll see when the weather goes bad.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Honda does not make batteries. There are actually only three battery makers in North America. Honda gets their private label units under contract, and I would imagine the maker might change from time to time or location. Nevertheless, battery quality has gone down in recent years. Like everything else, planned obsolescence is built in, and more so now than ever. It's just like tire quality, which has also recently declined. And warranties have also been lowered. I can remember buying batteries that had a 78-month warranty and could and would outlast it, but no more. Even the best batteries no longer last much beyond 3 years, which is also now the standard warranty period. Here, in the high summer heat, I am lucky to get a battery to last more than one summer, two at most.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I usually get a AAA battery when needed. They check charging system before replacing battery 3 year 100% warranty and prorated 5 years. Batteries seem good to me. Usually higher amperage than Honda ones. Sometimes a dead battery can't be jumped. Best part is they come to me.
Did AAA with the 2014 I used to own. My 2018 hasn't needed one yet. 2 years old now.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Honda batteries fall in the same statistic slots as others, some are bad, some are great.
My '97 CR-V came from the factory with a Panasonic battery, and that battery lasted a good long time. I wish they offered those in the US.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For whatever reasons, battery is really hit and miss. Regardless, I will definitely buy from Costco. Besides the price is excellent, they have the full warranty return policy. I had a battery died after two years but within the warranty period, they swap the dead battery for a brand new one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2014 had a pathetic small battery from the factory which would get low voltage during colder weather, almost no backup voltage in it, we upgraded to a larger batt and its been great for 5+ yrs now. I think I replaced woth a 24F. No problems since. It barely fits but does.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Had three Honda's and one Acura (Honda #4 I guess..) since 1981. Battery in the Acura failed prematurely but others lasted at least three years and more, however in year 4 I saw a drop in some cells ability to retain full charge. I never expected batteries to last more than about 4 years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 89 Accord went 11 years with its battery and then I sold the car. My 2000 CRV went 10 years before the battery just up and failed. I replaced the battery in our 2001 Civic after 12 years but proactively. Our 2010 CRV went 6 years but it was accidentally drained dead once by my wife. Replaced it with a Costco battery that only really lasted just under 3 years but yay to Costco warranties.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2012 CRV EX-L. I’ve had it for years, purchased new and have had battery issues from the first year on. I discovered that I CANNOT leave the lights on auto without having a dead or near dead battery the next day. I’ve told my dealership for years and even though they replaced something which could be causing this years ago it’s still an issue. Bottom line, it’s the best car I’ve ever owned as long as I don’t use the auto light feature 😂

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've been lucky with my other cars. Still on the original batteries for my 2013 Audi and 2014 Odyssey. Even better my 2004 Volvo is only on it's 2nd battery! With that said, I too have heard that I shouldn't count on a long life for my 2018 CRV's battery. If true I definitely will not buy an OEM battery when it comes time to replace it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Simply put, batteries do not last as long anymore. The issue is not the battery, it's enormous drain coming from all the electronics used on modern vehicles. My Nissan p/u sucked batteries dry within 3 years, same with my wife's Civic.Listening to the radio with the engine off makes a battery die faster. So does having doors open with the doom lights on when the engine is off. And I am chuckling at the tiny 9V sized battery that is in the engine compartment of my '19 CRV.

I buy replacement batteries at big chain auto parts stores and they get prorated if/when they die before the three year warranty is up.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
1) Honda does not make batteries, they buy them from a few of the remaining large suppliers, who simply follow the Honda specification and slap a Honda part number on them. From my observation.. most Honda batteries are produced by Johnson Controls (the 800 lb gorilla in the battery business in the US).

2) Batteries are electromechanical time bombs that begin to die the day you activate the electrolyte. Electrical time bombs in that they begin to slowly loose capacity as soon as they are used. Mechanical time bombs because the plates are physical and are subject to vibration and stress induced damage.

3) most owners have no clue how to monitor and maintain their battery, nor a desire to do so. Contrary to popular belief, they are not maintenance free. Prudent owners seasonally pull the rectangular caps and check the fluid levels, and top up with a little distilled water if need be. Prudent owners will perform a periodic check on the batteries health using any of a number of low cost battery testing devices, or to to the local auto store and have them do a health check for them. Because of this... some owners batteries die a needlessly premature death.

4) if you do mostly short trip driving in town.. your battery never gets topped up by the charging system... and as such.. will slowly over time lose charge to a level that may still start the vehicle... but will also begin the deadly cycle of sulfation. Flooded cell car batteries need to be fully charged periodically, and never allowed to go below 12.2 VDC or they begin to sulfate the plates.

5) The flooded cell batteries used for motor vehicles is hundred year old technology, with only limited improvments in manufacturing and reliability in the modern era. And modern vehicles put more demand on them then older generation vehicles too. They are also the least reliable component in a modern motor vehicle... so you should treat them accordingly --> keep a close eye on them, and maintain them if you want maximum useful life out of one.

There are other factors as well.. but the above are the key points.. behind why the average battery today goes belly up early and often for some owners.

This topic comes up so often, I'm thinking I should do a full right up post on the subject and ask if the mods are willing to sticky it at the top of the forum. :)

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Simply put, batteries do not last as long anymore. The issue is not the battery, it's enormous drain coming from all the electronics used on modern vehicles. My Nissan p/u sucked batteries dry within 3 years, same with my wife's Civic.Listening to the radio with the engine off makes a battery die faster. So does having doors open with the doom lights on when the engine is off. And I am chuckling at the tiny 9V sized battery that is in the engine compartment of my '19 CRV.

I buy replacement batteries at big chain auto parts stores and they get prorated if/when they die before the three year warranty is up.
Yep.. though sometimes a battey simply has a defect in a plate that cripples one cell.. the high demand of modern vehicles does put the bat to the battery in terms of life expectancy.

Even going out to your vehicle to get something out of it, or put something else into it will create a notable short term drain on the battery. A gen5 CRV for example, when you open the drivers door, it wakes up from sleep mode and will drain amps of current from the battery until it goes back into sleep mode. Just opening and closing the door one time will drain as much capacity from the vehicle as if it was sleeping for 48 hours (in sleep mode a gen5 pulls about 35-50 ma of parasitic current). Which is why I always open the rear door to put something in or take something out.. because that does not force a wake up from sleep, only a a modest 30 second drain from the cabin lights. I have a smart battery monitor on my battery and it's data log shows waking up from sleep will pull enough current to bleed the battery voltage down by 0.3-0.4 vdc for the duration of the wake cycle, and when it goes back to sleep the battery will typically recover most of that active voltage drop IF it has a good charge level on it (ie: above 50%).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yep.. though sometimes a battey simply has a defect in a plate that cripples one cell.. the high demand of modern vehicles does put the bat to the battery in terms of life expectancy.

Even going out to your vehicle to get something out of it, or put something else into it will create a notable short term drain on the battery. A gen5 CRV for example, when you open the drivers door, it wakes up from sleep mode and will drain amps of current from the battery until it goes back into sleep mode. Just opening and closing the door one time will drain as much capacity from the vehicle as if it was sleeping for 48 hours (in sleep mode a gen5 pulls about 35-50 ma of parasitic current). I have a smart battery monitor on my battery and it's data log shows waking up from sleep will pull enough current to bleed the battery voltage down by 0.3-0.4 vdc for the duration of the wake cycle, and when it goes back to sleep the battery will typically recover most of that active voltage drop IF it has a good charge level on it (ie: above 50%).
Yikes! I'd hate to be a car battery!

·
Registered
5 Posts

It might be a relatively unknown habit that results in killing the battery. If you use a cell phone charger plugged in all the time it messes with the battery charge...some type of "phantom" drain on it. I learned an expensive lesson and now only charge when needed and unplug the charger totally from car otherwise.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts