Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 CRV EXL has suffered from it’s share of dead batteries. I was aware of the parking/hand brake electric drain problem early on and had the TSB applied as soon as it became available. Then 18 months into ownership my battery died 4 times and was replaced by a new more powerful 100 month warranty battery. Now within a week of 36 months of ownership the new battery died. A few days after having it jumped by Honda Roadside Assistance I took it to my dealer to have it checked. Of course it passed with flying colors. Now to the point of this thread.

I asked what would happen if the 100 month battery died after my original 36 months new car warranty was over. I was told that I would have to pay full price for the replacement. I asked about my Honda Care Extended Warranty and I was told that batteries are not part of the coverage and are considered wear items.

So if you got a free battery under your new car warranty, the replacement cost is on you after 36 months of car ownership. Even if it had been replaced a few days earlier.

BTW: He also mentioned that the 2020 CRV batteries are completely different, cost considerably more and are AGM.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I’d just go to my local Wally World, or tractor supply, or wherever, and put in a new non- Honda a related battery, and forget about it and move on. Life’s too short. 😉. But that’s just me...

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’d just go to my local Wally World, or tractor supply, or wherever, and put in a new non- Honda a related battery, and forget about it and move on. Life’s too short. 😉. But that’s just me...
Me too.
18 months of battery life is just ridiculous.

I'm just letting people know Honda's policy.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
This isn't Honda's policy, it everybody's policy. You didn't pay for the second battery, only the first one with its 36 month warranty. If you buy a battery at Autozone, Walmart, who ever and the battery dies within the warranty period they replace the battery for no cost. But the replacement battery's warranty runs out when the first battery's warranty expires. You didn't pay for the second battery.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've said this before and I will say it again. For all of the electronic craziness going on in these modern vehicles, why in the world would Honda place a match-boxed size battery under the hood?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
My 2017 CRV EXL has suffered from it’s share of dead batteries. I was aware of the parking/hand brake electric drain problem early on and had the TSB applied as soon as it became available. Then 18 months into ownership my battery died 4 times and was replaced by a new more powerful 100 month warranty battery. Now within a week of 36 months of ownership the new battery died. A few days after having it jumped by Honda Roadside Assistance I took it to my dealer to have it checked. Of course it passed with flying colors. Now to the point of this thread.

I asked what would happen if the 100 month battery died after my original 36 months new car warranty was over. I was told that I would have to pay full price for the replacement. I asked about my Honda Care Extended Warranty and I was told that batteries are not part of the coverage and are considered wear items.

So if you got a free battery under your new car warranty, the replacement cost is on you after 36 months of car ownership. Even if it had been replaced a few days earlier.
I know this is frustrating for you.... but.....

This is NOT new news. Been known discussed a number of times in the forum here, known for a long time, and is well documented by Honda's warranty documentation.

By the way.. that 100 month Honda warranty.. if you read it.. it is I believe 4 years replacement and a pro-rate after that. You always have to read the actual warranty.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I've said this before and I will say it again. For all of the electronic craziness going on in these modern vehicles, why in the world would Honda place a match-boxed size battery under the hood?
Even when Honda moves to a larger battery, such as the H5 they are now putting in the Accords... it only gives you about 20% more CCA and reserve capacity. The 51R is a smaller battery... but not that much smaller really. Put another way.. physical size of a battery directly relates to it's CCA, and reserve capcity. If you can put a larger battery in place of the 51R.. you still are not getting a battery with anywhere near double the capacity.

These modern vehicles simply put more demand on batteries. Further, a lot of owners think these flooded cell batteries are maintenance free. They ARE NOT. If you don't do routine checks of CCA, and top up the electolyte levels.. your battery WILL fail prematurely in these newer vehicles.. no matter what size battery it may be. And if you ever let a battery get discharged.. it is damaged and will also fail prematurely. Flooded cell vehicle batteries do not do well when discharged below 12.2 vdc for extended periods of time. They sulfate and that kills the plates.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Even when Honda moves to a larger battery, such as the H5 they are now putting in the Accords... it only gives you about 20% more CCA and reserve capacity. The 51R is a smaller battery... but not that much smaller really. Put another way.. physical size of a battery directly relates to it's CCA, and reserve capcity. If you can put a larger battery in place of the 51R.. you still are not getting a battery with anywhere near double the capacity.

These modern vehicles simply put more demand on batteries. Further, a lot of owners think these flooded cell batteries are maintenance free. They ARE NOT. If you don't do routine checks of CCA, and top up the electolyte levels.. your battery WILL fail prematurely in these newer vehicles.. no matter what size battery it may be. And if you ever let a battery get discharged.. it is damaged and will also fail prematurely. Flooded cell vehicle batteries do not do well when discharged below 12.2 vdc for extended periods of time. They sulfate and that kills the plates.
Dual batter or back-up battery system a better plan, perhaps?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Dual batter or back-up battery system a better plan, perhaps?
Not unless you also upgrade the charging system.

Rather then going to a larger battery........

Honestly.. all I do is run a health check on my battery once a month, and twice a year I check the electrolyte levels and top them up with a little distilled water if any cells are low. I also put the battery on a smart trickle charger once a month as well to saturate the charge level on it, which insures the plates stay clean and unsulfated.

Almost 3 years old now, and my battery tests as good as the day I drove my CRV home.

Once I see the CCA start to drop below 450 (on a 410 rated 51R, which currently tests at 495 CCA), I will replace it as a precaution as I know it is on it's way out.

As a short trip in town driver mostly.. I also drive with my headlights on, as this prevents the dual charging system from dropping to low charge state when the battery is fully charged. This prevents any bleed off discharge when the charging system is in low mode (12.4-12.5 VDC).

A properly working gen5 CRV will take a month sitting unstarted to fully discharge a 51R battery (~35-50ma normal low power parasitic), so if I go on a long vacation, I leave it on a smart trickle charger to keep it well above 12.4 vdc.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have to charge the battery on my present car in the winter at least once a month due to the fact I make lots of short trips in the summer its fine
I am hoping when I get my new hybrid in the next couple of weeks that will be something I no longer have to do

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
100 month battery hmmm????? so you are saying you got at least a 8-10 year battery?

So Honda got a $300.00 battery 48 month Pannasonic 330Amp crank power (EXAMPLE)

Your bat goes in 24 month (2 years) time you are not going to get $150.00 Pro rated? It be to simple to replace it for free.

so I can just imagine when the hybred cells go that one lil cell between the 500 there go and they say Yea a bad cell we got to replace all 500, at $2,650.00 not covered.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know this is frustrating for you.... but.....

This is NOT new news. Been known discussed a number of times in the forum here, known for a long time, and is well documented by Honda's warranty documentation.

By the way.. that 100 month Honda warranty.. if you read it.. it is I believe 4 years replacement and a pro-rate after that. You always have to read the actual warranty.
Actually there is nothing frustrating about it. Batteries are too inexpensive to fret over.

This was news to me. I’ve had may new cars and purchased many replacement batteries over the last 60 years of car ownership and this is the first time that I have had a battery fail while it was under warranty. Of course this may have been more than luck. Wise decisions like buying only notoriously reliable cars like those made in England, France, Sweden, Germany and very early Japanese sports cars may have had a hand in my battery success.

I’m sure the 100 months are mostly pro-rate months. I have never bothered with whatever pro-rate months were left. I would rather start fresh with a different brand and a new 48 month full warranty.
There are 2 things I would never buy from a car dealership, tires and a battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2019 with 5000 miles and on its second replacement battery. Interesting that they have increased the capacity after all these years. Will the new battery fit in my 2019 so I will know what to ask for the next time it dies?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a 2019 with 5000 miles and on its second replacement battery. Interesting that they have increased the capacity after all these years. Will the new battery fit in my 2019 so I will know what to ask for the next time it dies?
There are many threads on increasing the battery size, very simple project.

·
Registered
112 Posts
01 Ford Ranger 4.0L v6 OEM Motorcraft battery went 12 1/2 years before totally crapping out. Upstate NY, 48,000 short trip miles. I did put it on a tender from time to time and add water.... never had a battery that good but in my 52 years never had one go before 4 years..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just buy a new good brand 24F battery and a battery tray from a honda odessy van then install the oem batt holddown will work. Oem CRV batts are way too small. I converted our 2014 a little over 5 yrs ago and just replaced the battery recently with a new one. These auto mfgr engineers have taken leave of "good sense" in the last few yrs. That small batt is worthless.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Same here

BTW: He also mentioned that the 2020 CRV batteries are completely different, cost considerably more and are AGM.

**2017 CRV EX-L with Nav Turbo. Same here with a 2017 CRV bought new. I am on my 3rd HONDA battery. This 3rd battery has lasted so far. The 2nd "100 month warranty battery" was replaced under CAR warranty with only a few months left on the CAR warranty. When the 2nd battery died I also ran into having to pay full price for a DEFECTIVE HONDA battery. It goes to show how little faith Honda really has that their Honda batteries are well made. That policy is in writing from Honda somewhere.

The first battery went out and caused all sorts of issues. It took 2 weekends of flatbedding to the dealership to get the problems resolved, including some type of fuse block that had to be replaced. The dealership charged me $155 for the fuse block issue & said it was caused by, as I recall, a Ground to Fault issue. They could not tell me specifically what caused the problem but said it was something like an incorrect battery jump. (Even though they could not tell me specifically what caused the fuse block issue, it was my fault.) All I had done was to park the vehicle at the house; come back out to start it and the issues began. Honda America did eventually give me a customer courtesy card for $150, which made me feel better but did not cover the inconvenience of 2 weekends of flatbedding a new car to the dealership--over the weekend of course they did not touch the car until the weekday.

The 2nd battery went out with no warning. I drove up to the restaurant, parked it and it would not start when I came out. Wrecker driver gave a battery jump & I drove it to the dealership where it died in the parking lot after I turned it off. Diagnosis: Bad battery cell. That was about 13 months on a "100 month battery warranty not honored" because it was replaced under the original CAR warranty.

It is fair to say that Honda does NOT stand behind the quality of its accessories. (Don't even start me on the fuel in oil turbo issue which China made Honda recall and fix about 350,000 of them in China but which Honda only obliquely admitted after some considerable stalling time in the US by extending the car warranty by one year.)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts