Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this little nugget of information today. I've pasted the link but I'm not sure it's accessible unless in UK.

I've copied the main body of the text from the article so I'm sure you get the gist. Hopefully the reintroduction of more physical controls on future models.

Honda has done what no other car maker is doing, and returned to analogue controls for some functions on the new Honda Jazz.

While most manufacturers are moving to touchscreen controls, identifying smartphone use as their inspiration - most recently seen in Audi’s latest A3 - Honda has decided to reintroduce heating and air conditioning controls via a dial rather than touchscreen, as in the previous-generation Jazz.

Jazz project leader Takeki Tanaka explained: “The reason is quite simple - we wanted to minimise driver disruption for operation, in particular, for the heater and air conditioning.
“We changed it from touchscreen to dial operation, as we received customer feedback that it was difficult to operate intuitively. You had to look at the screen to change the heater seating, therefore, we changed it so one can operate it without looking, giving more confidence while driving.”

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
dam thought they just get rid of it all and throw your smartphone in. they are just as big as the Interface.

·
Registered
298 Posts
What is taking these car companies so long to have virtual screens in our line of sight as we drive? Connected to our phones via bluetooth. No more cables, no more touch screens, no more knobs, and no more buttons,...

...Just voice command operated. As simple as that.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
They brought back knobs for the radio/display on the 10th generation Accord over here.
And not just the knobs... they put back in real select buttons for all the main menus on the head unit, no more touch screen for volume, tune/scroll, menu select buttons.

A good move, as the Accord head unit is outstanding.

Given how much heat Honda has received in recent years on their head unit designs going all touch screen, it shows that they have listened to owners and critics.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Found this little nugget of information today. I've pasted the link but I'm not sure it's accessible unless in UK.

I've copied the main body of the text from the article so I'm sure you get the gist. Hopefully the reintroduction of more physical controls on future models.

Honda has done what no other car maker is doing, and returned to analogue controls for some functions on the new Honda Jazz.

While most manufacturers are moving to touchscreen controls, identifying smartphone use as their inspiration - most recently seen in Audi’s latest A3 - Honda has decided to reintroduce heating and air conditioning controls via a dial rather than touchscreen, as in the previous-generation Jazz.

Jazz project leader Takeki Tanaka explained: “The reason is quite simple - we wanted to minimise driver disruption for operation, in particular, for the heater and air conditioning.
“We changed it from touchscreen to dial operation, as we received customer feedback that it was difficult to operate intuitively. You had to look at the screen to change the heater seating, therefore, we changed it so one can operate it without looking, giving more confidence while driving.”
I am glad they have abandoned the industry move to all touch screen controls for everything.

Look closely at the photo of the dash on the Jazz. Note that there is no actual head unit, but rather a tack-mount slot on the center of the dash for a tablet. Honda in their Japan market new vehicle roll outs appear to be moving away from head unit screens, and moving to owner supplied tablet or phone and a bluetooth interface to connect to all the vehicle systems and feature adjusts. If they prove successful with owners with this, expect to see in in the next few years in other markets as models are redesigned.

Could be in a few years... Hondas are a BYOHU (bring your own head unit). :ROFLMAO:

It does have the advantage of lengthening the useful life of a vehicle. No more ten year old head units in the used car market.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I bought a new Honda HRV a few months ago as a second commuter car for good gas mileage. I precisely bought the LX for this reason. It's a very basic vehicle, but one positive surprise was the interior quietness was very impressive (coming from a 16 CRV and an 08 Element).

·
Registered
103 Posts

I think that's smart to do. I recently drove a friend's Prius whose display defaults to the "power" screen showing either the charge/discharge/engine power flow or what the relative mpg is. To change the HVAC setting, you have to press the Climate button and then touch the screen to change mode, fan speed, etc. Really safe to do while driving down a winding road, no? After a few seconds, it reverts back to the "power" screen. To change the entertainment function, whether AM or FM or volume or station, etc. you press the Entertainment button and then pick what you want on the touchscreen. For some reason it's illegal to talk on your cellphone holding it up to your ear while driving yet changing selections on the touchscreen is much more distracting as your eyes are NOT on the road ahead. At least with the cellphone, you're looking where you're going even though it's only with one hand steering since the other is holding your phone to your ear. How is that worse than driving with one hand on the wheel and the other on the touchscreen with your eyes on the touchscreen instead of the road ahead? With knobs and buttons (like the old Fits, Civics, etc.) I can switch modes, stations, fan speed, etc. without having to take my eye off the road except for a fraction of a second to glance where my hand goes to what knob or button. For some reason, someone thought touchscreens were a "better idea". The only advantage of a touchscreen is if you have a LOT of functions and choices, you can go to multiple sub-menus without having to have 20 buttons and dials on the dash, but most vehicles don't have that many functions so the touchscreen is not really needed. Besides, if a touchscreen fails, you could lose most functions on many systems where if a switch or knob control fails, it usually only affects that one system (HVAC, radio, etc.)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sure technology will one day be robust enough to support a virtual intuitive interface between me and my cars ventilation fan.

Until then can we have our knobs back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The breakthrough discovery that manufacturers have made, after spending many years and billions of dollars on research, is our fingers have this thing that they have named the Sense of Touch™.
This allows drivers to know, with very little distraction from the task of driving, that their fingers are on these things called "buttons" (sorry for the technical jargon) that can be used for controlling functions in their cars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts