Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, we thought we would be safe with our new CRV purchase. Unlike used cars we didnt think we had to worry about checking to much out on the vehicle, after all, its a NEW vehicle... We were wrong.

After being led to believe we could get black interior in a green CRV we were delivered a green CRV with grey interior. Thats got nothing to do with the CRV though, just dealership misrepresentation. There were a couple other things that were promised and not delivered but thats not the point of this post.

This is our first NEW car purchase and overall we like the CRV, it has a lot less rattles and other strange noises than our 97 CRV does. We can now take long trips with confidence! I've read a lot about the lack of power, the poor fuel economy, and insufficient lighting but We've never found any of those things to be an issue. We even drove in in some rain and didn't have the water splash back onto the windshield like some other people, we did find the high wiper speed a little slow though. We are overall happy with the way the vehicle performs, we have not had it in snow or trails yet but if its anything like our 1997, we won't have any issues.

I did find the build quality left lots to be desired. When we went to pick it up I noticed the hatch was to far to the right and the front right headlight was almost touching the fender. They said it was all within "tolerance". We told them that we didnt pay $42000 for a vehicle we could "tolerate" and asked them to fix it all (along with the dent on the front fender) before we took it off the lot. We got a call the next day saying it was fixed only to find that they did nothing to it. We complained again and into the body shop it went. They did a great job at aligning the hatch and headlight so we took it. We had stuff to do on the weekend and the vehicle was already three days late so the insurance was off our 1997. I followed the CRV home in my car and noticed that the left side was noticeably lower than the right side. When we got it home I had a better look at the front right headlight and noticed that the hood is now sitting higher on one side than the other! I called the dealership about the left side being lower and was told we could bring it in to have it looked at. They said that someone else had a similar issue and Honda decided it was within "tolerance". After driving the vehicle for a few days we also noticed that the center console is further from the dash on the right side than the left side, the vent plate on the right side of the radio was sticking out and tighter to the radio than the left vent cover (I pushed it in so its flush with the radio but I'm not sure about the clearance on the right of the radio for when I install an aftermarket stereo), the right side a-piller plastic trim doesnt even come close to matching up with the dash... there are probably other things I'm forgetting but thats already a big list. Not to mention I think the climate control may not be working properly and the factory stereo is missing half the sounds that should be there. The biggest issue right now though is getting the left side level with the right side.

One thing we found strange was that all the other CRVs on the lot had no issues with the body panels but the green ones, it seems like all three green ones they had on the lot had the hatch to far to the right and the right headlight touching the fender.

I tried calling Honda Canada a few more times and was on hold twice for 32min, once for 12min and they answered my call the final time after almost 40min. I explained everything to the guy on the phone and after I was all done he calmly replied "so whats your question?". I almost lost it, I didnt call in with a question I called in with a concern. He also said that the vehicle is most likly within "tolerance".

We are making a date with the service department within the next week or two and will post the results. I hope Honda makes things right but I'm not really sure how they will do it, there are a lot of little things to fix before I'm happy.

It is a lot nicer than our 97, we do enjoy road trips and so far the fuel economy is way better than some people post. I'm not sure I'll buy another new honda though, I guess I'll wait and see what Honda does to make things right.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've a feeling that the dealer for some reason gave you a lemon.

I wouldn't have accepted the CR-V on the conditions it was for that price. I would've asked for another.

Another theory, would be that it had an accident while being test driven and was repaired, that could explain the rear hatch and the lights.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've a feeling that the dealer for some reason gave you a lemon.

I wouldn't have accepted the CR-V on the conditions it was for that price. I would've asked for another.

Another theory, would be that it had an accident while being test driven and was repaired, that could explain the rear hatch and the lights.
but he said it was the same on just the green CRVs

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
yes, they had two other green CRV's there. One was their demo, it wasn't bad but the hatch was also off. They brought out another green one and offered it to us instead of ours but ours already had the adjustment done to the hatch and headlight so it looked better than the new one they brought out. I didn't get a chance to check the interior panels of the one they brought out because I didnt see those problems until I drove it. I also didnt see if the other green one was unlevel because I noticed that on the way home from the dealership.

I never thought of it being being bent, I just figured the panels were put on wrong. If the dealership cant help me out I may pay for a collision safety so I can make sure all measurements are what they should be.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honda says that everything is within tolerable acceptance values. The vehicle is about 1/2" lower on the right side. They tried to make the body panels fit properly again but messed them up even more. they said that the climate control was working properly. We are not happy and are going to take it into the body shop in the next couple weeks to have them look at it. How is the vehicle lower on the left than the right? How can this be tolerable?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts