Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I'm 16 y/o boy from Norway, currently working on my first car project. On a 1st gen 1999 Honda CR-V.
Here's a photo of my car and not sure what mods i would want. What i have done is getting a new battery ( High Quality ), Added Radiator Fluid and filled up on gasoline.
Going to do service to it soon. We think it got a problem with Ignition Coil due to it Misfiring when hot, and want's to stall when reversing and when going out on the clutch you are feeling it's trying to stall.
It got 184k km on it. There are a few corrosion spot's on the exterior and rear bumper have to get changed out with new lights ( due to a small crash ).
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Automotive fog light

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Nice looking V! Glad to have you aboard! Check the spark plug & the wires 1st before condemning the ignition coil. Also don't forget to adjust the valve lash. Especially pay attention to the exhaust valves. This gen is notorious of burning the exhaust valve. Use only NGK or Denso on these vehicles. Check also the Ignition Cap & ignition rotor. Especially the rotor. The rotor is held on by a Set screw. Be careful not to strip it. When turning over the ignition rotor, be sure you do it manually or place back the cap to prevent the Ignition system from shorting out. It could also be the Igniter that's dying. When misfiring check the color of the spark that the system is producing. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Do you have maintenance records from the previous owners?
And otto888man pretty much covered it all!

The valve lash in the 1997 thru 2001 CR-Vs have to be adjusted every year. A misfire can be caused by valves that are not adjusted correctly.

Also, what type of radiator fluid did you use? Was it labeled as being 'silicate free'?

You might also consider changing the transmission fluid and rear differential fluid.

The rear differential needs a special fluid from Honda called Dual Pump Fluid II. Nothing else will work correctly in the rear differential.

If it's a manual transmission you can just drain out the old fluid and fill it back up with the new fluid.
If it's an automatic transmission then draining the fluid will only get about 1/3 of the fluid out. So you have to drain and fill it, then drive it for a few miles, then drain and fill it again, drive it again, then drain and fill it the last time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, it's a manual. I'm going to check the Radiator fluid tomorrow. If the weather is great, i might do some testing with the valves and the misfiring. My stepdad which is helping me ( has knowledge with cars for a long time ) said he's considering the coil, due to it misfires most when it's hot. I'm going to mention this to him. I got maintenance record but not sure how much info is there. It's been standing for a few years before i got it now. The old battery was "exploded" so i bought a quality one. Are there any part's that i should check since it's been standing for a few years ( 2-4 years ). I still got 2 years on me, just a question does the 1999 have OBD2 and where's it for European Models. Just seen the 2+4 diagnosis port.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
The US 1999 CR-V does have an OBD2 port, but I don't know about the European model.

On the US models it's on the passenger side of the center console.
If you lean your head down into the passenger footwell and look to the driver's side you'll see it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The misfire when hot leads me to believe valve lash is bad, do this first, as it’s “free” then move to the coil if the problem persists. As the motor warms up it is allowing the valve(s) to stay open all the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.