Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

First post here for me.

Our 2006 CR-V has 265,000 miles and in the last several months, it started to randomly crank slowly. Sometime it crank fine but sometime like this morning, it was really slow to crank but it eventually started.

I was at my technician shop and i had dropped the car the night before (To make sure that my technician would witness the problem). This morning, he connected his computer on the battery posts to conduct a battery and charging test (To prove or eliminate a batter/charging issue). Before starting the car the voltages was 12.9v which is fine for a car that was parked overnight. When he tried to start the car, it took 2 times and both times was really slow to crank but on the second try, the engine started. It is like if there was no power in the battery, like not enough CCA to crank the engine. Then, he let the engine run for about 1 minute because he had to take some measurement at idle speed, at 2,000 rpm and both with and without the accessories.

Then, he shut down the engine and tried again to start and it cranked normally. It was not slow to crank at all, it was normal. It did that 3 times back to back and the crank speed was fine. It was not slow anymore.

From his computer who was connected to the battery all the time of the test, the report said that the voltage, amps and alternator had numbers within specs.

Let's pretend that his computer was faulty and the battery had an issue, IMO, there is no way that running an engine for 1 minutes would have recharged the battery in a way that the engine would crank normally...

My technician is aiming at the starter and claiming that the starter is degrading and it needs to be replaced. He quoted me 475$ with labor for a Honda Recon unit.

Anyone here had a similar experience with their Hondas?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

P.S. I live in Florida so cold is not the issue.

Thank you.

Serge.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I agree - starter !! If you live near the ocean, the salt air may well have corroded the guts just enough to draw excessive juice. 500 for a starter seems high, but I have no idea what it should cost. No one has said anything so maybe it's ballpark. Good luck. Craig

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem with cranking

Hi,

First post here for me.

Our 2006 CR-V has 265,000 miles and in the last several months, it started to randomly crank slowly. Sometime it crank fine but sometime like this morning, it was really slow to crank but it eventually started.

I was at my technician shop and i had dropped the car the night before (To make sure that my technician would witness the problem). This morning, he connected his computer on the battery posts to conduct a battery and charging test (To prove or eliminate a batter/charging issue). Before starting the car the voltages was 12.9v which is fine for a car that was parked overnight. When he tried to start the car, it took 2 times and both times was really slow to crank but on the second try, the engine started. It is like if there was no power in the battery, like not enough CCA to crank the engine. Then, he let the engine run for about 1 minute because he had to take some measurement at idle speed, at 2,000 rpm and both with and without the accessories.

Then, he shut down the engine and tried again to start and it cranked normally. It was not slow to crank at all, it was normal. It did that 3 times back to back and the crank speed was fine. It was not slow anymore.

From his computer who was connected to the battery all the time of the test, the report said that the voltage, amps and alternator had numbers within specs.

Let's pretend that his computer was faulty and the battery had an issue, IMO, there is no way that running an engine for 1 minutes would have recharged the battery in a way that the engine would crank normally...

My technician is aiming at the starter and claiming that the starter is degrading and it needs to be replaced. He quoted me 475$ with labor for a Honda Recon unit.

Anyone here had a similar experience with their Hondas?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

P.S. I live in Florida so cold is not the issue.

Thank you.

Serge.
Hi Serge,

I'm having the same problem. 2006 honda crv with 160k miles. Did you end up replacing your starter and did that solve the problem? I'm hoping there's a less expensive solution. Thanks

·
Registered
895 Posts
Check all of your battery connections and the connections on the starter. If they get corroded or loose it will do the same thing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you don't mind buying used you can look at that as an option. Used ones typically go between $50 and $150, and 30 minutes to 1 hour of labour depending where it is done.

I typically always buy used starters and alternators and never had issues with them.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
How old is the battery? Sometimes batteries play tricks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just replaced my starter in the crv, it was cranking slow in colder weather for a while. Then it would not, or would barely crank in cold weather. Got to the point it didn't have to be very cold out and it would barely turn over, sometimes it wouldn't.
Replaced the starter and its like new now. Its a little involved but its a big money saver. Here's a video that'll help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just went through something similar on my 2004 about 4 months ago. Ended up replacing the starter and haven't had any issues since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts