Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys!

In the last week or so, I have noticed that the CR-V 2019 has been leaking what it seems to be water from the left side under the passenger seat feet, under the chassis. I'm barely using it given that we are in lockdown. I've put a small bucket underneath and I can tell that It's not a big amount, but still it keeps doing it. I haven't been using the A/C, which I understand can cause some leaking due to condensation so I'm a bit worried. Also, when we drive the car, we can smell some sort of chemical smell. Not sure if that's related or not.

Have you ever heard or come across this before?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,882 Posts
Hi guys!
I haven't been using the A/C, which I understand can cause some leaking due to condensation so I'm a bit worried. Also, when we drive the car, we can smell some sort of chemical smell. Not sure if that's related or not.

Have you ever heard or come across this before?
What you are describing IS the drain water from the AC. Totally normal. Modern Hondas all have notable puddles under them from the AC drain port. Some owners freak out about it until they understand the source. :)

You may think you are not using the AC... but if you have your climate control system running in auto mode.. it can and will make use of the AC on it's own as part of cabin climate control... most commonly when the climate system believes it needs to blow cooled air on your inside front windshield to remove any fogging. And if you are using climate control in manual mode and have the window defogger setting active.. it will use the AC as part of the process.

As for "some sort of chemical smell" you will need to be much more specific about the smell. That said....a 2019 is still pretty new... and new cars do give off all kinds of chemical smells both inside the cabin and outside the vehicle pretty routinely.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I’m assuming since it’s a 19 it’s still under warranty, what did the dealer say?

As others said though, dripping water under any car can be normal, a chemical smell not so much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I contacted the dealer and they told me to check the pollen filter. I did that, and to my surprise I found that what I think it's a rat has been chewing all the filter and nesting there.
The dealer said they can't do anything till the lockdown is lifted but I rang a garage and they are having a look tomorrow. I'm afraid that the rodent might damaged something else.
Really unlucky.

·
Registered
491 Posts
If debris got into the fan blades you'd hear a racket when the fan runs. If it sounds ok, a new cabin filter is all you need after vacuuming out the debris.
The rodents get in by climbing up the two 1.25 inch dia. drain ducts that lead down to the road from the air intake cowling below the windshield. As noted in other threads, Honda neglected to install a screen in the 4" x 6" air duct leading from the cowling space down to the cabin filter. Remove the cowling cover and use silicone caulking to attach a non-rusting wire screen over the duct.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts