Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new here and would like to ask about my 2001 CR-V. Basically the issue is when I'm stuck in traffic with minimal movement, 30 into it my temperature gauge will suddenly spike up until the 3/4 mark and would go back down to the half mark. This happens when the fans turns on. This is more faster when I'm driving at traffic in nighttime when. When Im out of traffic this does not happen but once I get stuck again the same problem occurs but the gauge will always return back to the half mark and never overheated. This could be a sign of something so I hope you can help.

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Have you checked the basics. How is the level of the coolant in the radiator? Does the fans kick on all the time when it gets hot? You could have a bad thermostat. Was anything done before this happened? Don't let this go for a long time as too much heat on the engine is not good. What is the condition of the coolant in the radiator? I would suggest as a preventive maintenance replace the thermostat. Let me know.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My 1999 CRV was in downtown traffic in a sweltering day yesterday, so I was keeping an eye on the temperature gauge.

I could hear the electric fan buzz on about every 30 seconds at a traffic light, and the fan's on time was about 10 seconds. The temperature gauge never budged a hair.

There are 370 000 km on the old girl, but I have paid attention to its "systems" over the years.

·
Registered
772 Posts
My 1999 CRV was in downtown traffic in a sweltering day yesterday, so I was keeping an eye on the temperature gauge.

I could hear the electric fan buzz on about every 30 seconds at a traffic light, and the fan's on time was about 10 seconds. The temperature gauge never budged a hair.

There are 370 000 km on the old girl, but I have paid attention to its "systems" over the years.
Times two.........mine is @ 215,000 plus. Last year NEW timing belt,thermostat,radiator & coolant, gauge stays @ half way even in stop/go traffic with AC on. Good luck.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,625 Posts
Could also be an air pocket in the cooling system. (That is what Ottoman alluded to when he asked if "anything was done before this happened".) Be aware that sometimes the plastic reservoir looks OK but what you see is only residue from the coolant sticking to the sides of the plastic bottle.

Check the overflow bottle and rad pressure cap. If you continue to lose coolant, the radiator might have a crack...the plastic tanks are showing their age...

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Could also be an air pocket in the cooling system. (That is what Ottoman alluded to when he asked if "anything was done before this happened".) Be aware that sometimes the plastic reservoir looks OK but what you see is only residue from the coolant sticking to the sides of the plastic bottle.

Check the overflow bottle and rad pressure cap. If you continue to lose coolant, the radiator might have a crack...the plastic tanks are showing their age...
I agree with Carbuff. Check those things carefully as they are a bit hard to detect.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Want to share a trick I found out when my V 1st started showing signs of temperature gauge rising up out of NORMAL area. It would also do it @ 50/55 road driving which led me to think water was not moving through radiator as it should. One day on a short trip it started to rise and showed no sign of cooling down, so I thought lets try this, I turned on the HEATER and immediately the gauge started coming back to NORMAL. I knew then the radiator was time to replace it, since I was giving the coolant another route to really a small radiator(heater core). You can't make it run hot now even in 100 degree weather idling with AC on. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts