Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Given the Govt announcement yesterday that it would ban from 2035 all petrol (gas), diesel and hybrid cars, that effectively renders the marginal selling CR-V Hybrid and future models of this type to a pointless exercise?

Now that the UK is not part of the EU, and thus automakers selling here will not be punishable for EU polluting rules, could Honda conceivably relegate or even drop this model just after one generation?

I think its highly likely that if this ban doesnt move farther out, the inclusion of banning hybrids will mean that their residuals will plumment even faster than petrol/diesel cars that are still legally sold on 31 Dec 2034....

Just my two pennies worth....

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
This is 15 years away. I think any forward thinking person would tell you the CR-V should be fully electric by then. The bigger question is what level of autonomy will we have in 15 years. Hopefully it will be almost fully autonomous by then.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reason I raise this is because of how slow Honda in the UK has been in terms of introducing a Hybrid 4x4.

Toyota here have had their RAV4 in Hybrid guise for a decade or more - I dont doubt that in 15 years time, CR-V propulsive technology will have moved on, but it begs the question whether the Hybrid today makes any sense in the UK given its hefty sticker price when new.

The dynamics in the US are very different, where I have opined before that the CR-V Hybrid will sell well and with healthy numbers too. Cant say the same about the UK....

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts

Given the Govt announcement yesterday that it would ban from 2035 all petrol (gas), diesel and hybrid cars, that effectively renders the marginal selling CR-V Hybrid and future models of this type to a pointless exercise?

Now that the UK is not part of the EU, and thus automakers selling here will not be punishable for EU polluting rules, could Honda conceivably relegate or even drop this model just after one generation?

I think its highly likely that if this ban doesnt move farther out, the inclusion of banning hybrids will mean that their residuals will plumment even faster than petrol/diesel cars that are still legally sold on 31 Dec 2034....

Just my two pennies worth....
Wouldn't this be for any new vehicle sales, not existing vehicles on the road? I can't believe everyone in the UK wakes up one morning in 15 years and their vehicle is not just obsolete, but illegal.

In point of fact... it could very well be if UK does move forward with this (and there is no certainty that they would.. because politics and special interests)... I see this as actually holding up the value of older vehicles, particularly hybrids (due to fuel costs) ... because just like some owners still prefer non-modern era vehicles without all the electronic systems... it is likely people who do not want to be forced to go full electric will make use of the used car market to meet their needs.

As for Honda... Honda will end of life fuel burning vehicle production well before 2035. Their publicly published product roadmap takes them out of fuel burning engines, even hybrids I believe, by 2030.

·
Super Moderator
7,554 Posts
The reason I raise this is because of how slow Honda in the UK has been in terms of introducing a Hybrid 4x4.

Toyota here have had their RAV4 in Hybrid guise for a decade or more - I dont doubt that in 15 years time, CR-V propulsive technology will have moved on, but it begs the question whether the Hybrid today makes any sense in the UK given its hefty sticker price when new.

The dynamics in the US are very different, where I have opined before that the CR-V Hybrid will sell well and with healthy numbers too. Cant say the same about the UK....
Your CRV hybrids are not available in AWD? I bet that changes soon, because in the US.. they are only offering AWD in 2020 from what I have read so far.... most likely because of how they implemented the drive system.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As for Honda... Honda will end of life fuel burning vehicle production well before 2035. Their publicly published product roadmap takes them out of fuel burning engines, even hybrids I believe, by 2030.
...which to me begs the question of why bother with Hybrid tech when it will be cast out in a decade or less. Makes no sense, especially for Honda in the UK, where its market presence is limited indeed.

Your CRV hybrids are not available in AWD? I bet that changes soon, because in the US.. they are only offering AWD in 2020 from what I have read so far.... most likely because of how they implemented the drive system.
CR-V Hybrid in the UK is available as 2WD and AWD (y)

·
Registered
213 Posts
...in the US.. they are only offering AWD in 2020 from what I have read so far.... most likely because of how they implemented the drive system.
Maybe also because U.S. demand favors AWD... IIRC, only 30% of U.S. CRV's are 2WD.

And initial U.S. demand will likely outstrip supply. So, why offer the 2WD when they'll sell every one of the more expensive AWD version?

Likewise, I expect the U.S. Hybrid CRV product mix will skew towards the more expensive EX-L and Touring models.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Hybrid SR Crystal Red Metallic
413 Posts
Honda in the UK is a backwater manufacturer. The number of CRVs sold in this market must be miniscule to virtually every other manufacturer and it wouldn't surprise me if they withdrew some models as they did with the Accord. The market is flooded with similar specced mid size SUVs of which many on the face of it are more attractive than any model Honda sells currently. I can't remember the last time Honda ran an advertising campaign for its SUVs unlike other mainstream players.

To me it's not why are they introducing the Hybrid CRV model to the Uk it's more like why are they introducing any new CRV models to the UK.

I need to add that I bought mine because it's a great car and I'm still very happy that I chose the hybrid model.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Honda in the UK is a backwater manufacturer. The number of CRVs sold in this market must be miniscule to virtually every other manufacturer and it wouldn't surprise me if they withdrew some models as they did with the Accord. The market is flooded with similar specced mid size SUVs of which many on the face of it are more attractive than any model Honda sells currently. I can't remember the last time Honda ran an advertising campaign for its SUVs unlike other mainstream players.

To me it's not why are they introducing the Hybrid CRV model to the Uk it's more like why are they introducing any new CRV models to the UK.

I need to add that I bought mine because it's a great car and I'm still very happy that I chose the hybrid model.
Nail on the head sir.

Absolutely NOTHING wrong at all with the CR-V Hybrid - a point I should emphasise. It is a great machine and I'd pick it all day long over rival offerings.

But you're right - just as Honda dropped the Accord, its amazing that the CR-V still has any presence in the UK line up given how expensive it is and how few people purchase them - instead opting for German junk like the Tiguan, X3, Q5 and even Korean rivals like the Sportage, Tuscon and Santa Fe or Sorento.

While the 2035 ban, assuming it stays, will not prevent petrol stations to be out of business overnight, i do question the logic of Honda to bring the "Hybrid" experience to a small UK market, especially when by its own admission, Hybrid tech will be sidelined as a propulsion unit going forward.

Very odd and strange....

·
Super Moderator
7,554 Posts

Kind of answered your own question there in my view. :) You can't be the only vehicle shopper of similar mind.

As for Honda philosophy as to why they stay in a market..... Honda takes a different approach in my observation compared to other Japanese producers. As long as they are profitable in a market, or consider the market to be a profitable growth market.. they persist. Just watching them persist and continue with the Acura line in the US.. which has struggled in recent years... is an ample example of Honda philosophy in action. Is their philosophy right or wrong here?.... don't know.. time will tell, and since they own the philosophy.. it really is up top them.

I cannot comment objectively on the UK or broader EU market. For North America though..here is one example: Compact and midsize sedans are a declining (some would say dying) market in the US... in favor of a range of CUVs/SUVs. Double digit declines year over year in national sales totals in the last several years in fact. Some manufacturers, such as Ford, have simply forfeited the sedan markets entirely in the US. Honda... they went another route --> upping their game in terms of design, features, and appeal to owners. [Mind you, Honda does miss sometimes with the market (more so in the Civic line than the Accord line)]. However.. their most recent generation of both Civic and Accord are strongly bucking national sales trends of compact and midsize declines in sales. Both models are pretty close to holding traditional national sales volumes for Honda, or even modest growth... while the market segments continue to decline at double digits each year. So.. some producers are losing a lot of market share here.. and Honda is holding their sales levels.. and hence increasing their market share in these segments.

Every producer of consumer vehicles in a very competitive market does their own market and design analysis and decides where to compete and with what. Honda appears to take more of a long view in their analysis from my observation. Example: staying active and competitive in smaller markets... to keep their brand alive for the coming wave of largely electric vehicles. It is very hard to re-enter a market once you have abandoned it... because of brand recognition and persistence, or absence of.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have just ordered the new hybrid EX which is AWD
for the last two years I have been test driving hybrids and none were really right
you can hear a prius comming by the tyre noise due to the hardness of the rubber which makes for better mpg
Honda take a different approach to the drivetrain and also use normal tyres
We all buy cars for different reason

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^ Dunno about you @CRV4575 - but i am equally excited to see your car as you are!

Any update on build or delivery date(s) yet?

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Damn that leap year! LOL

Be sure they demonstrate all its features to you properly - I didnt do that.

Took me three days to work out how to retract the Heads Up Display - all because I couldnt be arsed to look through the manual, but I got there in the end! Ha!

Reactions: CRV4575

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LOL

I have the gym for that!

Makes you feel a bit sad for the poor folks that have to write all that stuff!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts