Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
The Mazda does not even look like an SUV (and also has OD issues). Test drove the RAV4 and was so disappointed.... So far very glad I got a 2019 CRV!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Test drove the RAV4 and was so disappointed.... So far very glad I got a 2019 CRV!
Not trying to do a thread slide but I was at Costco today and there was a RAV-4 parked outside the tire garage that had BOTH passenger tires flat...looking under the car it was clear that the inner sidewalls were ripped open. I've NO idea how they got there (unless they drove over something really bad on the way into the Costco parking lot).

Safe driving to everyone fellow CR-V'ers

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
TL;dw - what's Edmunds say? (I will watch it later, but maybe for folks like me who hit this thread and want a quick synopsis :) )
They chose the CR-V over the CX-5, then Rav4. It's actually a pretty informative review, once you get passed their personality quirks. You should watch it.

My wife drives the exact same 2019 CX-5 Signature, so this reminded me why we chose it over the competition. The number one reason, we don't need to comfortably haul around a bunch of stuff, or people. The CX-5 is a lot smaller than the other 2. A lot of you are younger and have kids to drive around, so the CR-V is a much better choice. The Rav4 has the pano roof. That's about all I feel it has over the other 2. :)

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
:):) FINALLY A COMPARISON VIDEO BY A COMPANY WITH A GOOD REPUTATION. :):)
I wonder why this took so long to happen! I have driven all three vehicles and IMHO they got it exactly right.
CR-V is the best of the three and the RAV 4 sucks because the gearbox and engine are just pitiful.
I like the CX5 for the power but I hate the CX5 because it's Mazda and my absolute worst car experience ever was with a Mazda. Also resale value on Mazdas are weak. Lastly is exactly what was posted above, it does not feel like a real SUV, it's just not built with those comfort and size specifications in mind.

Yay, Honda still on top in it's class for two straight years. Super happy with my purchase.

Rob

·
Registered
509 Posts
They chose the CR-V over the CX-5, then Rav4. It's actually a pretty informative review, once you get passed their personality quirks. You should watch it.

My wife drives the exact same 2019 CX-5 Signature, so this reminded me why we chose it over the competition. The number one reason, we don't need to comfortably haul around a bunch of stuff, or people. The CX-5 is a lot smaller than the other 2. A lot of you are younger and have kids to drive around, so the CR-V is a much better choice. The Rav4 has the pano roof. That's about all I feel it has over the other 2. :)
Haha. We liked the CX5 when we were shopping because we had had a Mazda for years.

However we chose the CRV because of the gas mileage and how much more room it had in the back.

Everyone has a "MUST" list and the CRV checked more boxes for us.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
However we chose the CRV because of the gas mileage and how much more room it had in the back.

Everyone has a "MUST" list and the CRV checked more boxes for us.
Exactly! (y)

You really can't go wrong with any of these. It's all about what checks more boxes, as you said. It's one of the reasons why when these "experts" give a recommendation, it's not all that meaningful. It's the detail they bring to the review that is.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Interesting that the Mazda's 2.5 turbo doesn't outperform the CR-V's 1.5 by all that much. You'd think with that much bigger an engine the performance gap would be far greater.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Interesting that the Mazda's 2.5 turbo doesn't outperform the CR-V's 1.5 by all that much. You'd think with that much bigger an engine the performance gap would be far greater.
Yea people get caught up in that in suvs. Honda is smart for the us because they shave the weight for us
No pano roof, no full size allow spare, no 3rd row like other countries were buyers like diff categories

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
It is pretty significant of a difference. The torque is amazing, almost like a diesel. Again, if it doesn't "check the box" for you, no biggie.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It is pretty significant of a difference. The torque is amazing, almost like a diesel. Again, if it doesn't "check the box" for you, no biggie.
Of course more torque with a liter more displacement but there's also the extra 350+ lbs the Mazda carries around. In a vehicle with considerably less cargo and rear seat space. The reason the Honda won this comparo is because it checks so many boxes at once.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Of course more torque with a liter more displacement but there's also the extra 350+ lbs the Mazda carries around. In a vehicle with considerably less cargo and rear seat space. The reason the Honda won this comparo is because it checks so many boxes at once.
Over 70% more torque (189 vs. 310 ft lbs). The extra 312 lbs of weight does not come close to negating that.

If you actually watch the video, you will see that the main reason the CR-V came out on top, was due to them placing priorities on needing more interior and storage space. Something a lot of people put value in.

They didn't talk about it, but the CR-V's MSRP is almost exactly $4k less than the other 2. It's kind of odd, since they mentioned the cap being $38k at the beginning. I could see that pushing it over the top here, as well.

Here's my take on the 3 top boxes each check in the class:

CR-V Touring - Fuel mileage, rear seat/cargo space and resale value.

CX-5 Signature - Performance/driving dynamics, interior quality and exterior looks.

Rav4 Adventure - Dependability, off road-ability and has a pano roof.

I would be interested to hear what others on the forum think the top 3 check boxes each vehicle ticks.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I follow the Mazda forum too since we have a CX-5 and a CR-V. The amount of OD complaints comes no where close to the CR-V even taking into account the difference in car sales.
Hard to say really what the actual incidence rate is for abnormal OD... for the CX-5, or even the CRV for that matter. Even in the case of the CRV.... reports through NHTSA and other complaint sites indicated issues in the high hundreds... and if we assume that only 5-10% of owners with a problem every report it online... that is still a very small number of total vehicles compared to total sales in the field.

What is consistent between the two however is that it is going to happen.. because of the DI technology, and is significantly aggravated by cold weather conditions and low engine temperatures on short trips. It is also consistent in terms of the advice given by both Mazda and Honda to owners. It is also consistent in how each has handled the issue (ie: an engine control update, and early oil changes for vehicles with abnormally high oil levels. Note: just as in the case of Honda, Mazda advises that some oil dilution is normal, as are oil levels above maximum (within reason) ... though Mazda seems to push for oil changes at lower oil levels above maximum. What is also consistent is both Honda and Mazda Canada divisions have been more forthcoming and more responsive to implementing ECU updates to help address it.. probably because A) cold weather climates, B) Both companies sales volumes in Canada are about 10% of their US sales volumes.. so smaller market = more nimble customer support responses.

To Mazda's credit.. their advise instructions to owners is more complete (at least on paper) and if dealers are following the written guide lines with customers... customers should be more informed and less panic prone.

Bottom line... all these modern DI engines will dilute oil with fuel, and if driven in normal parameters of the average driver and driving conditions... the fuel get's scavenged out during normal warm engine operation. Some engines may appear to dilute more, and some engines appear to be more tolerant of fuel buildup in the oil as well. For example: Honda has an amazing level of oil rise allowed by design (roughly one inch above the max line) in their 1.5T before the systems begin to report actual combustion issues with the vehicle.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Over 70% more torque (189 vs. 310 ft lbs). The extra 312 lbs of weight does not come close to negating that.

If you actually watch the video, you will see that the main reason the CR-V came out on top, was due to them placing priorities on needing more interior and storage space. Something a lot of people put value in.

They didn't talk about it, but the CR-V's MSRP is almost exactly $4k less than the other 2. It's kind of odd, since they mentioned the cap being $38k at the beginning. I could see that pushing it over the top here, as well.

Here's my take on the 3 top boxes each check in the class:

CR-V Touring - Fuel mileage, rear seat/cargo space and resale value.

CX-5 Signature - Performance/driving dynamics, interior quality and exterior looks.

Rav4 Adventure - Dependability, off road-ability and has a pano roof.

I would be interested to hear what others on the forum think the top 3 check boxes each vehicle ticks.
For me it was:

1) interior space, comfort, and design (which the gen5 CRV is a winner even against prior gen CRVs)

2) Cargo capacity, and flat floor from front to back if needed. (Again, Gen5 CRV is the winner).

3) Economics.... best price points for trim levels, fuel economy, strong resale value.. even 10 years down the road. (Honda simply does this all better then the competition in the compact SUV segment).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts