Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am hoping someone will be able to help me fix a problem I have with a Honda CR-V from 2005 that I bought 2 months ago... It was running fine until one day it suddenly went in limp mode when I was in second gear. The management light came on and it kept going into limp mode in first and second gear. Since then, it has been doing this regularly and the engine management light is on most of the time, dissapearing for a day or two and coming back up together with the limp mode. 2 fault codes have been found which both correspond to "glow plug circuit malfunction". I ended up going to the closest Honda dealer (kidlington by Oxford, UK) who checked the glow plugs and said there were no issues with any of them. THey suggested it could be the relay and changed it. £230 later (+£60 from an electric engineer who initially checked the fault codes before I went to Honda), and 1 day after the new relay, management light is back on and limp mode is back, more than ever. :mad: This is so frustrating. Honda said it could be the relay of an "electric fault". It's obviously not the relay but what garanti I have that they will not charge over and over for fixes that dont fix anything??

Has anyone ever had this issue with a Honda CR-V diesel? Anything you could recommand?
I love my new car but am not going to spend thousands on it after just 2 months... And I thought a Honda would be reliable...

Oh and the Honda guys also told me my break pads, disks and Osr calipers needed changing, as one pad was 90% worn and the calipers were sticking. Could this be linked to the management light and limp mode in any way??

Many thanks for any advice!
S

·
Banned
806 Posts
Is the car hard to start? Glow plugs are there to just help start the vehicle, especially when it is cold. What your describing makes no sense to me. I don't have a diesel CRV, but I do have a full size truck that is a diesel. And have driven a number of diesels at work. I would find another dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. The car starts perfectly. Appearently glow plugs in new cars are not just there to start the cars off, as it keeps "spaking" even after the engine has been initiated. I have read this online a few times. However on this occasion, I think the fault code is not indicating the issue at all which is very frustrating. What's the point of having fault codes if they dont even lead to the right issues!?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update. So car has been back to the Honda dealer, who now say it is the engine wiring harness that needs to be changed as there are issues with the wiring connections, and have quoted £1,600 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just bought the damn car for £3,500 two months ago. I am really pissed off. The fuel efficiency has become pretty bad since all that has started, as the check engine light is on most of the time and the car regularly goes into limp mode. Anyone has had a similar story??
I will never NEVER buy Honda EVER AGAIN!

·
Banned
806 Posts
I would question if you just don't have a bad connection somewhere in the system. If it were me I would go thru and check and clean all connections. Is it the same dealer that you took it to initially that told you it was your relay and changed it out for you that is telling you that you need a wiring harness? With you buying the car used did the previous owner butcher the wiring in some way?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I am looking for help with a similar problem. I have a 2005 Honda CR-V 2.2 ctdi and am getting a recurrent fault code P1384 glow plug circuit malfunction. I have changed the relay and also the glow plugs. All wiring is fine. It still throws out the same fault. It seems like there is a problem between ecu and glow plug relay? Any help greatly appreciated it's driving me mad

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi anybody had any joy solving this problem? Mine is doing the same and driving me mad?
Similar problem here. I have power at the output of the relay but none at the plugs. Is there a connector that has been pulled out. The problem appeared first time it was started after a clutch change.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fix

Ok I have fixed mine. After lots of investigation I found that there was no connection between the relay and the plugs. All four of them. It must be a plug out somewhere as all 4 are oc. I ran new wiring between the relay and the plugs and it's a fix. The wiring was very difficult to trace but the original wiring did not take the direct route but seemed to go to the bulkhead first and then joined the other wiring going to the top of the engine. I did not investigate further as I needed the car working and decided the quick fix was to rewire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, late reply! Yes, it was the same dealer that changed the relay for nothing that later told me that it might be the wiring harness that woudl need changing. They could not be certain that it would fix the issue though!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks gayhalo for sharing your fix. I will call my normal garage tomorrow (not the dealer!) to see if they can check the connections between relay and plugs on mine. I would have thought that the Honda dealer which changed the relay, would have also checked that the connections between the relay and plugs are ok though? I have absolutely no trust in the Honda dealers. If I manage to fix it, I will post back. It has been doing the crazy limp mode since I posted early 2016 and my disel consumption has been ridiculous. I can sometimes see the needle going down, even for small trips. Yesterday Oxford to Cardiff return used half my tank. It's ridiculous!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts