Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , Lookiung for some assistance please , just purchased a 1999 CRV petrol manual , issue i have is when trying to start it seems to fire and then looses ignition lights , can do this a few times before finally firing up , and it can be either hot or cold, same issue, once running its okay, engine turns over okay , no issues with either starter or battery , thought it might be the ignition switch after reading up there was a issue with some? any advise would be very welcome.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Kenny, 1st welcome to the forum, glad to have you. Do you have any idea when the fuel filter was last changed ? It's on the firewall beside the battery. I got a hunch it's clogged up and only letting a small amount of fuel through. JMHO, good luck, and as a side note, don't touch the gas pedal when starting.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
First of all welcome to the forum! Looks like you are on the right track. When this occurs try to wiggle the key, see if you can make the ignition lights come back. If you can, the electrical part of the ign switch is loosing contact & going bad. Let us know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for replies, odometer reading 135666, however I'm sure it's more to do with ignition switch, as mentioned if I wiggle the key the ignition lights tend to either stay off or back on , there's no real pattern to it, I have sent an email to Honda UK as I understand from further investigation there was a recall for this fault, cheers Ken

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, I have managed to find a knack to getting this started first time, once key is in ignition I have got to push down on the key whilst turning it start, works every time , thought I would share in case anyone else has a similar issue
Thanks again Ken

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
car is now cutting out out whilst while driving now , losing power sterring brakes etc , time to change the switch i guess as quite a danger on the road , quite dissapointed with Honda UK as they have been no help at all , when enguiring about recall my reply was simply not covered? i thought recall wee always open no matter how old the vehicle? anyway time to change switch

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
When was the last time you had a tune up? Have you checked the spark plugs, cap & rotor? But it could well be a worn out ignition switch. Let us know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it the ignition switch, I loose all dash lights, battery, oil engine etc, if I wiggle the keys in ignition I can eventually get the lights back , start and drive away until the next episode
Cheers

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I would suggest to check all of the battery terminals & including body ground going to the battery. Have you also replaced the gas filter?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
problem sorted , replaced ignition switch, starts and drives great now, no cutting out , lights on dash all present and correct

thanks for all advise , regards Ken

1 - 11 of 11 Posts