Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi CRV owners,

I have a Honda CRV, year 2000 with 142K miles. The car was running fine before I got the check engine light issues. Took it to Pepboys to check the codes. They recommended Tuneup, Replacement of wires - Spark Plug and Oxygen Sensor. Did the tuneup and the replacement of wires. Did NOT do the oxygen sensor replacement as the price they quoted was very high.

Took it to Meineke and they looked into the codes and said no need to replace oxygen sensor (just recommneded) but to do an engine valve cleanup. Did that and also changed the battery. Light was still on. They recommneded changing the distributor as they said the car bibrates when stopping (true).

Took it to Honda dealership to see what they have to say. They looked into the codes and said P0300 and P0304. Nothing to do with the distributor. But they are not sure why there is no compression on cylinder 4. To tear down they are asking me $500 to diagnose the issue.

I looked into the KBB value of this car and it's worth possible $5500. The Honday dealership esitimate is minimum $1200 to fix ths issue. So I am contemplating if it's worth proceeding with the repair.

Can you advise me on what this issue might be...who is telling the right thing? This way I can make the right call. Appreciate youe help.

Thanks

·
Registered
713 Posts
When was the last time you had the valves adjusted?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I honeslty do not remember doing this. Is this done as a part of normal routine 30K, 60K, 90K, 120K maintenance? I did not specifically ask or was told to do this.

Can you tell what is the likely repair amt for this type of work and will it fix my issue? Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Harish...

I just joined the forum and I can tell you that I get the same indicator. My buddy is a mechanic that read the code for that....it's nothing more than the O2 sensor. Strictly an emissions thing....no need to do anything with it at all until inspection time. You won't pass inspection with that code present.

There are 2 of them actually...probably run you $100 to replace each one (parts and labor). Do yourself a favor, find a good reputable repair shop nearby and get to know your mechanic. NEVER NEVER NEVER go to Pep Boys.

As for me, I'm basically cheap and just have my buddy reset the code at inspection time. The light goes off and all is good...until a bout 5 miles after I leave the shop then it comes back on...but the car passed inspection by then. lol.

·
MECP Audio Expert
2,076 Posts
Harish...

I just joined the forum and I can tell you that I get the same indicator. My buddy is a mechanic that read the code for that....it's nothing more than the O2 sensor. Strictly an emissions thing....no need to do anything with it at all until inspection time. You won't pass inspection with that code present.

There are 2 of them actually...probably run you $100 to replace each one (parts and labor). Do yourself a favor, find a good reputable repair shop nearby and get to know your mechanic. NEVER NEVER NEVER go to Pep Boys.

As for me, I'm basically cheap and just have my buddy reset the code at inspection time. The light goes off and all is good...until a bout 5 miles after I leave the shop then it comes back on...but the car passed inspection by then. lol.
ok, 1. you are wrong
2. being lazy and resetting the code is retarded. Fix the problem. If your "mechanic" is smart, it only costs $5 if it's a bad cat.

for the op, if the valves were not adjusted, you have a burnt valve, as the dealer said. I would have done a leakdown AND compression test instead of tearing the head off, to see if it is the valves or the rings. Honda will tell you to get a new head. To be honest for the price they are going to charge you for everything, you can get a new engine and put it in the crv for cheaper. If it is just the head you could also just put on a new one, like a vtec head, but thats prob more trouble than it sounds like it's worth for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check Engine Light

My 1998 CRV has it's check engine light on - the rear O2 sensor is the problem. The part has been quoted at $250.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts