Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yo all, got a Honda CRV and battery going flat in about 4 days. Hooked up AMP meter to test circuit AMP draw and initially reads 0.3AMP then after 2 seconds goes down to 0.16AMP. Is this normal range for a 2008 CRV? (Probably not related but when I take out 3 (Backup) fuse, the draw goes down to almost nothing)

Would love to hear from you pros. Thanks

TP

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,195 Posts
No, 160 mA load is not normal. It should be less than 30 mA. On my gen 4 it's closer to 14 mA and gen 5 about 27 mA. Do you have an aftermarket security system installed in your vehicle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Thanks for the reply. My CRV seems to be a gen 3 (2006–2012). I have no aftermarket equipment installed. Only OEM Tow Bar that I had installed when bought brand new.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Definently drawing 0.16Amp and seems to be Under bonnet fuse 3 (Backup). I tried pulling out the underdash fuses except for the front wiper and still drawing 0.16Amp. Anyone know what the issue may be?

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
Yep.. you have an abnormal parasitic for sure at that current draw.

I am a big fan of this particular youtube video on how best to find the circuit path in a vehicle that is the culprit of a parasitic draw.

Sometimes in an older vehicle like yours... it can be as simple as a bad diode in the alternator.. and you could get that tested and validated/eliminated at most local auto parts stores at no charge. There are also low cost battery testers now days that also can check for a diode leak as well for the do-it-yourself owner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the video. That's a very interesting video. I'll get my alternator tested first, then I'll test for voltage drops and if not ill just get it paid to get done professionally

Will let you know how it goes ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys, I suspect there to be a component on the B-CAN keeping the system awake. I am trying to short a B-CAN communication wire to ground to test if its capable of sleeping.

Can anyone please show me the easiest wire to ground to complete this test.

Appreciated

1 - 8 of 8 Posts