Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just bought my 2011 Honda CRV 3 days ago and it drives super smooth and I didn't notice any noise until after I bought the car. When I drive over a bump or rough part of the road there is a rattle/ clank noise which seems to be coming from the underneath front end of the car I think in the middle. I had my mobile mechanic come out and he said the struts, and everything checked out ok. But it's pretty loud and sounds like something is loose or something. Has anyone had this problem?

·
2,277 Posts
Welcome to the forum! One of the most common causes of this issue is that the metal heat shield on the catalytic converter (part of the exhaust system) can corrode at the attachment points and come loose, causing a rattle. You could have your mechanic check it to see if it is loose, or check it yourself. But you must be extremely careful to do it only when engine is cold. The cat reaches extremely high temperatures (which is why it requires the heat shield) and will burn you badly if you touch it while hot. A qualified shop can weld or possibly clamp it back in place. It is illegal to remove it due to the fire hazard. It's also very expensive to replace with a new one.

Other causes could include the splash shields underneath the engine area and in the wheel wells. These plastic shields are held in place by plastic push-lock nuts, which can fall out and leave the flat shield loose. If one of these is not the culprit, I would have the mechanic drive the car and track down the source of the problem. If the struts are good it could be another suspension or steering component loose, which is unsafe. If it turns out it's coming from the engine, that definitely needs to get isolated and fixed before it gets worse and costs big money.

Keep us posted on how this goes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts