Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2015 CRV (SE model) and am quite unhappy with the "Honda Driving experience". In addition to the vibration issue (vibration at idle is terrible, looks like the fix is not available in Canada yet), another issue is the excessive wind/road noise. The ride is bumpy and noisy. The wind noise is the one you hear when the window is not fully closed. The audio is subpar (may be because it is not quiet inside due to the road noise?) . Looks like some serious insulation issue? With audio at 1/4th level (i.e 10/40 volume) and the windows fully closed, the sound can be clearly heard outside as if the window is half open. My dealership is like, “yeah it is normal, live with it”. Any suggestions, recommendations to reduce the noise by sound proofing? I can not really identify the source of the noise coming from. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Seriously, did you test drive your car before you bought it?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2015 CRV (SE model) and am quite unhappy with the "Honda Driving experience". In addition to the vibration issue (vibration at idle is terrible, looks like the fix is not available in Canada yet), another issue is the excessive wind/road noise. The ride is bumpy and noisy. The wind noise is the one you hear when the window is not fully closed. The audio is subpar (may be because it is not quiet inside due to the road noise?) . Looks like some serious insulation issue? With audio at 1/4th level (i.e 10/40 volume) and the windows fully closed, the sound can be clearly heard outside as if the window is half open. My dealership is like, “yeah it is normal, live with it”. Any suggestions, recommendations to reduce the noise by sound proofing? I can not really identify the source of the noise coming from. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks
What brand of tires did they use ? Is it Dunlop? It will also depend on the tires you are using. I notice if its a cheap brand it will be more noisier than the others. One way to reduce road noise is to Rustproof it. I did mine & it lessen the road noise dramatically. Let us know.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Usually the Continentals many older models they were equipped were much quieter. However Dunlop is a great tire maker. On motorcycles I've preferred Dunloo to Pirelli rubber. However every tire is different so who knows. It also comes from what you are used to. I have had quiet cars like a GMC Envoy, Buick Regal and Jeep Gran Cherokee. The wife's 2013 V is significantly louder than all 3 of these cars.

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Usually the Continentals many older models they were equipped were much quieter. However Dunlop is a great tire maker. On motorcycles I've preferred Dunloo to Pirelli rubber. However every tire is different so who knows. It also comes from what you are used to. I have had quiet cars like a GMC Envoy, Buick Regal and Jeep Gran Cherokee. The wife's 2013 V is significantly louder than all 3 of these cars.

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!
I agree with you. I have seen many Dunlop made tires for passenger vehicles that is loud & hard as a rock. But in the Motorcycle tires they might be different quality. Plus those Dunlop I am talking about are OEM installed when they are new. You are also right, it could be where are they manufactured.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks folks for your comments. The tire that came with the CRV is ContiCrossContact LX. I'm not sure if the noise is because of the tires. I just changed the tire couple of days ago (Michelin x-Ice winter tire) and the issue is still there.

The test drive was with a different model (CRV EX, mine is SE model). I should admit that the test drive was not long enough, tried 15mins and didn't notice much. I was mainly focusing on the vibration issue and getting to know the controls etc. I never thought of the road/wind noise and bumpy ride at that time. Anyway I didn't feel the vibration when I was test driving 15 mins.

I mentioned about the fix reported in Canada by some owners to my dealership. They said they haven't heard anything official yet, but admitted that few others also have reported the vibration issue. I think it is a matter of time before the fix becomes available to everyone (in Canada).

Back to the road/wind noise, any suggestion to sound proof or reduce the noise? As for rustproofing, my CRV has the electronic rust proofing module installed already.

·
Registered
633 Posts
if it were me..I would be far more aggressive..the info u need about the fix is right here on this site...others took that info and clued in their dealer...

·
Registered
229 Posts
You put on winter tires and are surprised it did not get better ??
Did you not take a good test drive, the noise could just be coarse pavement. Our '15 Touring is so much quite than the '14 LX we had.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You put on winter tires and are surprised it did not get better ??
Did you not take a good test drive, the noise could just be coarse pavement. Our '15 Touring is so much quite than the '14 LX we had.
After putting the winter tires on, I didn't get a chance to go for a long ride. As you said, it could be the road conditions that cause the bumpy ride, at least to some extent.

My disappoint is that I was driving another vehicle that was 10 years old and cost me roughly 2/3 of Honda CRV. Although it had mechanical issues now and then, the ride was smooth and quiet. My Honda being 10 years newer and costly compared to my old vehicle, I was expecting a better experience. The wind noise and road noise kill the driving experience. Lesson learned, take time, test drive properly, research etc.

I still need to live with this "experience" 2-3 years before I can change the vehicle to avoid steep loss. Any suggestions to reduce the wind/road noise?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello,

Thanks
Bumpy and noisy compared to what? The CRV is a moderately priced crossover SUV and not a luxury sedan. The CRV wheelbase is shorter than the Accord sedan which would make the ride more choppy. I don't think very many people actually take their CRVs off road but the suspension is designed to be stiffer than on a sedan.

My wife's 2015 EX has absolutely no wind noise and rides very nicely for an SUV. When my Accord was being repaired the Acura dealer loaned me a 2015 RDX which drove exactly like my wife's CRV and didn't seem to be worth the extra money to have an Acura badge. Take the car to another dealer's service department and have them ride with you and diagnose the problem. If the dealer can't fix the problem call the toll free number in your warranty book and complain directly to customer service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm convinced that Hondas suck when it comes to road noise. My 20011 EX CRV is terrible and my 2007 Ridgeline is bad as well, not as bad as the CRV, but still way too noisy. Good Tires helped a little with the Ridge, but I think Honda just doesn't insulate their cars very well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
IMG_0340.jpg

I put rain vents on my 2014 CRV cause of the bad wind noise, it has lessen the wind noise I think by 75%, there still is some noise but it's tolerable. The one's I got are the one's that Honda makes there about $140, but they do make other brands cheaper like from weather tech for I think $99. A plus with the rain vents is you can have your window open slightly to let some fresh air in when it's raining and also leave your windows cracked so on really hot days it keeps it slightly cooler. I think rain vents are a win win for multiple reasons! As for the road noise I have change to Michelin Latitude Touring HP Tires ($230 each) they have decreased the road noise and smooth the ride by 25%. I am much happy with the CRV with the tire change and the rain vents.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts