Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tailgate is not closing automatically after a car wash. Honda dealer said the sensor in the door is damaged. It opens using the key, button in the car and the handle in the gate. But not closing.
I have to do it manually. Should I believe what Honda says and spend 250 $ to replace it?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,804 Posts
Is there a Honda Customer Service number you can call in your country? (Tell the dealer you intend to do this...in the USA that often 'incentives' them to do the correct thing.)

How could a car wash damage the sensor? If the car wash could have done it, put in a claim...although I've never heard of this happening.

Reactions: HondaCRVSL

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
My tailgate is not closing automatically after a car wash. Honda dealer said the sensor in the door is damaged. It opens using the key, button in the car and the handle in the gate. But not closing.
I have to do it manually. Should I believe what Honda says and spend 250 $ to replace it?
"damage" is a very vague term.. and lacking of any context....so hard to really comment... other than to say....

....be honest about it.. if it truly is physically damaged, that is not Honda's problem, it is you the owners problem. If it is simply defective, not attributable to any externally induced damage, then the warranty should cover the cost to repair.

I honestly cannot see how simply running a vehicle through a car wash would in any way damage any of the controls for the rear tail gate open/close... unless there is a broken weather seal of some kind. So it actually sounds to me like there must be more to this story.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,780 Posts
My tailgate is not closing automatically after a car wash.
Thats your problem right there.

Car washes are the work of satan.

Baffles me why the F people use them and then whine when something gets busted. Honda could charge you $4000 if they wanted. They didnt tell you to use a car wash. Thats your choice.

Sadly, this is a case of put up or shut up. I have very little, if any, symapthy for people who use car washes and then who moan about resultant damage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a Honda Customer Service number you can call in your country? (Tell the dealer you intend to do this...in the USA that often 'incentives' them to do the correct thing.)

How could a car wash damage the sensor? If the car wash could have done it, put in a claim...although I've never heard of this happening.
One of the sensors fixed on the sides of the tailgate showed a small scratch in rubberized outer surface. Not a deep one. Honda Service center in Sri Lanka just suspect that is the reason. They want to replace it and further check.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"damage" is a very vague term.. and lacking of any context....so hard to really comment... other than to say....

....be honest about it.. if it truly is physically damaged, that is not Honda's problem, it is you the owners problem. If it is simply defective, not attributable to any externally induced damage, then the warranty should cover the cost to repair.

I honestly cannot see how simply running a vehicle through a car wash would in any way damage any of the controls for the rear tail gate open/close... unless there is a broken weather seal of some kind. So it actually sounds to me like there must be more to this story.
I don’t say the physical damage happened at the wash but this problem occurred just after washing. I suspected this happened due to water, but later Honda Service center showed me a small scratch in the sensor with a rubber coating on the sides of the tailgate. Thinking of go ahead with the replacement, but wonder whether this will solve the issue.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,804 Posts
If I was paying for a new sensor, I'd try to buff the scratch out of that sensor 'lens' first! Is it plastic? Or really rubber?

You have nothing to lose.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,195 Posts
What sensor in the tailgate are you talking about, can you provide a photo?

PS, there are two pinch sensor cables that run down the left and right sides along the edges of the tailgate. They look more like a seal than a sensor, but if they get crushed or damged it will prevent the tailgate from closing

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What sensor in the tailgate are you talking about, can you provide a photo?

PS, there are two pinch sensor cables that run down the left and right sides along the edges of the tailgate. They look more like a seal than a sensor, but if they get crushed or damged it will prevent the tailgate from closing
Yes. Exactly the part you said. Part 19 in the diagram. A small scratch in the rubber.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
That great, did you end up having to pay for it because Honda considered it physically damaged and not their fault?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
For those who like to play with their vehicle, if you close the tailgate and lightly press anywhere along the rubber strip with your finger it will reverse direction. It's really sensitive.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thats your problem right there.

Car washes are the work of satan.

Baffles me why the F people use them and then whine when something gets busted. Honda could charge you $4000 if they wanted. They didnt tell you to use a car wash. Thats your choice.

Sadly, this is a case of put up or shut up. I have very little, if any, symapthy for people who use car washes and then who moan about resultant damage.
There are communities in some states that don't allow soapy car washing water to flow into storm drains, leaving the only option to go to an automatic car wash. That doesn't even include some states which are in drought that discourage or outright ban home car washing all together. Some folks live in apartments that do not allow car washing.

Besides, this isn't about car washing, it was the only event the op could think of that might have caused this. His concern is the diagnosis and the expense if they are wrong. It has been my experience dealerships replacing parts guarantee a fix. If it were me, I would request the damaged or defective part be given to me after repair. The scratches do not look like car wash damage because they would be hidden from any moving brushes or parts.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
For those who like to play with their vehicle, if you close the tailgate and lightly press anywhere along the rubber strip with your finger it will reverse direction. It's really sensitive.
Necessary as well.. .. lest an owner, or worse their small child, somehow ends up with a hand or arm in there as the gate closes.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,780 Posts
There are communities in some states that don't allow soapy car washing water to flow into storm drains, leaving the only option to go to an automatic car wash. That doesn't even include some states which are in drought that discourage or outright ban home car washing all together. Some folks live in apartments that do not allow car washing.
That is seriously grim. Thankfully we dont have that stupidity in the UK except for when hosepipe bans periodically appear - and even then most people tend to ignore it anyway.

Besides, this isn't about car washing,
Well it is - based off the OP's statement, the tailgate issue was AFTER using said car wash - leaving the presupposition that the tailgate was fine before he used the car wash. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi everyone in the thread,

you can ignore the car washing issue now. I mentioned it thinking some water infiltrate into some parts.
Thanks for letting me know about the function of the pinch sensor. I have no option but to replace it - any other options?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That great, did you end up having to pay for it because Honda considered it physically damaged and not their fault?
It’s not their fault I think. This was imported to Sri Lanka from Australia a month ago. Tailgate was working at that time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Watch out! The dealers are rip-off professionals. I think they go to college to learn the craft. Had one just tell me the TPM light on my dash came on because one of my tires is a different speed rating than the other three, not by much I might add, and because there was a slight tread wear amount difference in the tires because of being bought at slightly different times, the TPM light will always come on – unless I buy a new set a tires. But here’s the deal! They would sell me a new set a tires and throw in a free alignment As well as do a few of the maintenance issues due at 55,000 to 60,000 miles . I didn’t walk away, I ran.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi all,

thanks all for responding so far. Surprise....today all of a sudden my tailgate started to work normally . But the bad thing was that after opening and closing normally for several times, again it does not close sometimes. Now I think the issue is with the pinch sensor!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts