Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
I just bought my Honda CRV 2020 last week. I think a lot of members here do have the same year CRV. If you have a problem your CRV 2020 ,please share and how did you deal with it. I would love to hear. 😊❤

Lets start with my first bad experience which I do not like about my CRV is the warm up issue. I start my car 10 mins before drive and the heating meter is still at the bottom. It seems like HONDA does not fix this issue for 2020 and I am worried about Oil Dilution problem coming this winter.

Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
finalized deal yesterday afternoon ; today is my first 13 km commute to work in my gen 5 2020 .its minus 7 celcius so I'll use remote start for a 5-7 minute warm up then away we go .......

·
Registered
164 Posts
Lets start with my first bad experience which I do not like about my CRV is the warm up issue. I start my car 10 mins before drive and the heating meter is still at the bottom. It seems like HONDA does not fix this issue for 2020 and I am worried about Oil Dilution problem coming this winter.
There is no issue here. With a remote start, the CRV engine will begin to warm up, but not reach operating temperature until driven. If you continue to idle past 10 minutes continuously you WILL experience some OD. Just remote start for about 5min, put gear in S mode and drive this way for a couple of Km if you want to speed things up when it's really cold. You will have warm air blowing into your cabin in no time at all. Place gear back in D and enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hi guys
I just bought my Honda CRV 2020 last week. I think a lot of members here do have the same year CRV. If you have a problem your CRV 2020 ,please share and how did you deal with it. I would love to hear. 😊❤

Thanks
Allowing your V to warm up/idle for that long is only hurting the fuel economy. Give it one, maybe two minutes max and then drive it. It won't fully warm up until it's moving.

This is totally normal for the Gen 5.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Have had my 2020 since December. My only issue is the calibration of the interior temperature control is off by over 3 degrees C.
ie when I set it at 17 degrees C (63 degrees F), the interior temperature is at least 20 degrees C (68 degrees F). Kind of annoying as my other vehicles have always been right on. Will eventually have the dealer look at it, maybe a sensor can be replaced?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Allowing your V to warm up/idle for that long is only hurting the fuel economy. Give it one, maybe two minutes max and then drive it. It won't fully warm up until it's moving.

This is totally normal for the Gen 5.
Here in the UK, the advice is this:

Start up, drive off. No wait times needed.

Saying that, over winter, the CR-V was warm and toasty within minutes. The joys of an ICE!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Hi guys

Thanks
This is a clear case of owner expectations not being in sync with how normal operation works.

1) the temperature gauge is in no way linear, so do not treat it like it is. You will not see the first tick mark on the temp gauge until the engine has reached ~140 degrees F (plenty warm). You will have warm cabin heat before the first tick mark even shows. Each tick mark after that represents ~ 5 degrees increase until the gauge reaches normal drive temp (just under the half way mark) and represents about 175 degrees F. Once the engine as full running temperature.. the gauge literally will not move further up the tick marks, even as the engine temp approches 200 F ... unless/until the engine advances to an over temp condition (which is pretty well impossible for this engine, unless something with the cooling system is broken). The gauge is more of a three point temperature indicator, not a linear gauge. The data here has all been confirmed by owners on this site by monitoring actual engine temperature with an OBDII reader.

2) This engine is extremely efficient thermally, and idles at extremely low fuel injection levels. As such.. the engine will not reach full and normal operating temperature sitting idle, unless it is literally 100 degrees ambient outside. But again, keep in mind number 1 above.

Since the 2019s, and I think even some 2018s, all the updates to the ECU and cabin heating issues in earlier production models are applied at the factory. And with the rollout of those updates, either in the field, or at the factory before shipment... the incidence of cold engines and poor cabin heating has largely been resolved.

Now, a question for you... where are you located that you feel the need to put your CRV through a 10 minute warmup cycle in late spring? The best practice with this engine, even in cold weather is to just get in, start it, and drive away. Warming up the engine for 10 minutes simply burns fuel for no real benefit. The only time to run a warm up cycle would be in a cold weather location in winter.. so you have cabin heat before you drive. Even then.. the best practice is to install a block heater in very cold weather conditions and simply come out to a warm engine when you want to drive. You can use the built in warm up feature in lieu of a block heater.... but again.. not the best practice for this engine... just the most convenient perhaps.

·
Registered
73 Posts
finalized deal yesterday afternoon ; today is my first 13 km commute to work in my gen 5 2020 .its minus 7 celcius so I'll use remote start for a 5-7 minute warm up then away we go .......
so , no problemo this morning . nice and toasty and the temp gauge was in the middle of the cold/hot range within a few kilometers of 80 kmph speed .I checked the oil before leaving the dealership for an initial reference point (right at F) and I'll check it at some point in coming weeks .

that might be the last cold spring morning we get here in northern ontario for awhile thats below 0 celcius

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
so , no problemo this morning . nice and toasty and the temp gauge was in the middle of the cold/hot range within a few kilometers of 80 kmph speed .I checked the oil before leaving the dealership for an initial reference point (right at F) and I'll check it at some point in coming weeks .

that might be the last cold spring morning we get here in northern ontario for awhile thats below 0 celcius

Got it. Canada. :)

The best practice in Canada for this engine, and apparently many other brands, is to install a block heater for those long extremely cold winter months. There have been several active threads about this in the forum here. Of course they are seasonal and tend to go quiet in warmer months. :)

A couple of past threads to get you started are:

Block Heater

Anyway... between now and next fall, give it some thought and see if a block heater might be a better cold weather approach for you since you live in northern Ontario. (y)

With regard to oil level monitoring, my suggestion is always check it when you refuel.... you know.. the old school check under the hood thing all of us old gummers were raised to do. :) Keep a little notebook or index card to record your readings. Always.. Always read under the same parked conditions as much as possible (ie: level surface, engine warm, wait 3 minutes after stopping engine, which is the Honda recommendation).

Most of all... enjoy your shiny new CRV!! :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Block heaters are a must in my part of Canada so no worries there .never owned a vehicle without one .my general rule on plugging it in is minus 15 celcius or colder . Maybe with this sensitive engine I’ll change to minus 10

·
Registered
212 Posts
Got it. Canada. :)

The best practice in Canada for this engine, and apparently many other brands, is to install a block heater for those long extremely cold winter months. There have been several active threads about this in the forum here. Of course they are seasonal and tend to go quiet in warmer months. :)

A couple of past threads to get you started are:

Block Heater

Anyway... between now and next fall, give it some thought and see if a block heater might be a better cold weather approach for you since you live in northern Ontario. (y)

With regard to oil level monitoring, my suggestion is always check it when you refuel.... you know.. the old school check under the hood thing all of us old gummers were raised to do. :) Keep a little notebook or index card to record your readings. Always.. Always read under the same parked conditions as much as possible (ie: level surface, engine warm, wait 3 minutes after stopping engine, which is the Honda recommendation).

Most of all... enjoy your shiny new CRV!! :D
Block heaters are a must in my part of Canada so no worries there .never owned a vehicle without one .my general rule on plugging it in is minus 15 celcius or colder . Maybe with this sensitive engine I’ll change to minus 10
I was in Huntsville in January, 2 nights at the Best Western..-20 with lower windchill. Nice to use remote start from the room as we left. Had to brush snow off, maybe 8 minutes till we started driving but getting heat already and as soon as we had driven a few minutes, nice and warm. I believe they have gotten rid of any issues associated with heating, fuel dilution etc on the 2020 models...I am fortunate in southern Ontario (Brampton) to not need a block heater, park in a garage but nice to see the CRV performing nicely in those cool temps when left outside without needing the block heater. Yes If I lived up there, would definitely have a block heater.
Looks like we are all in for a nice warmup this weekend after the -3 stuff tonight!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was plugging mine in whenever it got below -5C, and sometimes as high as 0C. Just for the comfort of having warm air blow on my face just two blocks down the road :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
We have a 2018 EX-L, live in NJ, and frankly laugh at the folks with heat problems. Car is toasty and warm all winter!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
We have a 2018 EX-L, live in NJ, and frankly laugh at the folks with heat problems. Car is toasty and warm all winter!
Believe it or not.. there are some CRVs in the field that DO experience issues with cabin heating and abnormal oil rise.

I would not be throwing shade at owners who do actually have an issue.. because while the owner community and Honda appear to have turned the corner for the most part on this... there are still some owners reporting issues.. and they deserve to be respected, even if you disagree with what they post.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Real nice. Do you also laugh at people broken down on the side of the road, because your vehicle is still running?
I do - especially if they said person is unfortunate enough to have squandered income/money on some overpriced trash hailing from Germany.....

.....looking at you VW, Audi, BMW, Merc, Porsche and other such pseudo-premium brands. Ditto the trash made by Range Rover/Land Rover!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts