Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that both my Honda Pilot and CRV are hard on tires and they seem to were prematurely....

I have has them aligned, balanced and rotated per tire specifications, and both Continental (junk), and Michelin (they lasted the longest...) seem to wear prematurely.

Several mechanics have told me that Honda AWD vehicles tend to do this and Honda will not take any responsibility for this?

Is this true and has anyone else had a similar experience?

Michael

·
Everything in Moderation
7,636 Posts
Moved to TIRES AND WHEELS subforum.:eek:

Michael, you fail to mention if you had any abnormal issues like uneven wear, feathering, or noise. Or even what you consider to be premature wear.

Granted the OEM tires don't last the longest, but tires these days are picked for low rolling resistance and low noise, whether AWD or not. In my experience, folks often complain about OEM tires across many brands.

Remember, AWD/4WD includes extra weight and drivetrain resistance, which is why MPG ratings are lower. Don't ever try to save tire money by buying a Wrangler!

I have 163K miles on my AWD V, purchased new.

The original Bridgestone Dueler tires lasted ~45K miles with a five-tire rotation.

The next set were Yokohamas...lasted 55K (four tire rotation).

My present set are Kuhmos, they are not yet worn out but are getting close so I'll estimate 65K.

By contrast, our '07 Fit and previous '99 Acura easily get 80K out of a set of tires.

OTOH,

My RWD overpowered sports car gets 25K out of tires, for some reason the rear tires burn up quick, but you don't see me complaining! :rolleyes: :cool:

·
Registered
895 Posts
When you buy new tires make sure they are in the right weight range. Most tire manufacturer websites will have a table with all the ratings for their tires. Tires with harder tread ratings will wear slower, but you give up some grip with the harder tread. Soft tread wears faster, but have much better grip.

When I bought my 2000 4WD the tires were already worn out. When I replaced them I put General Grabber AT2 all terrains on it. I try to rotate them every oil change and I think I have near 40k miles on them right now and there is still plenty of tread left. I figure I should get around 75k out of them before I have to replace them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts