Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just worked on my Honda CRV RD1 cooling system fitted new head gasket, overhauled radiator after not driving it for about a year. I also found that radiator thermostat was removed by someone working on it previously. Cooling fans are NOT WORKING after I just did a test drive even temperature gauge goes 1/3 high. But both fans come ON when I bypass fan switch. I also tested fan switch by boiling in pan and had the test light comes on when water boils. I believe the radiator fan switch is faulty with low voltage flowing through. Anyone to confirm this before I buy a new switch please?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Do the fans come on when you turn the AC on?
Did you install a new thermostat?
Does the heater put out good heat?
Did you jumper the radiator fan switch at the switch connector or somewhere else?
Remove and replug that fan switch connector several times to make sure it is making a good connection.

The radiator fan switch may not be getting hot enough to close. If you buy an OBD-II reader or borrow one, you may find that the coolant is not hot enough. If it is, buy a new fan switch.
I believe that the fan switch is supposed to close somewhere around 195F +_ 5 degrees.
On the older models, I believe it only turned on the radiator fan and not the condenser fan.

So, it sounds like the wiring is good since it works when jumpered.
Yes the yr and model need to be posted, as 'kloker' asked for.

Buffalo4

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds like a problem I had. I blew two radiators because of a sensor. There is two sensors actually. In my Haynes manual it’s called Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECT) One is right below the distributor. And the other one which was my problem is below that, and kinda to the left. Here is two pictures of them. I hope this helps you. I ordered mine from rock auto.

·
Registered
'98 EX AWD
348 Posts
Sounds like a problem I had. I blew two radiators because of a sensor. There is two sensors actually. In my Haynes manual it’s called Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECT) One is right below the distributor.
The single wire sensor directly below the distributor, goes right to the IPC temperature gauge. Just an FYI.

·
Premium Member
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,206 Posts
The fans will typically not go on until the gauge is 1/2 way up. If your gauge is only 1/3 of the way from the bottom, the engine way not be hot enough to need the fans.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts