Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just worked on my Honda CRV RD1 cooling system fitted new head gasket, overhauled radiator after not driving it for about a year. I also found that radiator thermostat was removed by someone working on it previously. Cooling fans are NOT WORKING after I just did a test drive even temperature gauge goes 1/3 high. But both fans come ON when I bypass fan switch. I also tested fan switch by boiling in pan and had the test light comes on when water boils. I believe the radiator fan switch is faulty with low voltage flowing through. Anyone to confirm this before I buy a new switch please?

·
2,778 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Please state year, model, and location for further help.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Do the fans come on when you turn the AC on?
Did you install a new thermostat?
Does the heater put out good heat?
Did you jumper the radiator fan switch at the switch connector or somewhere else?
Remove and replug that fan switch connector several times to make sure it is making a good connection.

The radiator fan switch may not be getting hot enough to close. If you buy an OBD-II reader or borrow one, you may find that the coolant is not hot enough. If it is, buy a new fan switch.
I believe that the fan switch is supposed to close somewhere around 195F +_ 5 degrees.
On the older models, I believe it only turned on the radiator fan and not the condenser fan.

So, it sounds like the wiring is good since it works when jumpered.
Yes the yr and model need to be posted, as 'kloker' asked for.

Buffalo4

1 - 4 of 4 Posts