Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Honda Dealership Told Me Not To Ever Changed Power Steering Fluid

22841 25
Hello Fellow CRV Friends,

I went to a local Honda dealership yesterday to get my power steering fluid changed out. I have 122,000 miles on my 2007 CRV and it has not ever been changed. The manager in charge of the service area suggested that I just leave it alone because Honda has no recommendations unless there is a power steering leak. I was genuinely surprised. Since I didn't know what else to say, I left the dealership.

I took a white paper towel and rolled it up and just put the edge of it in the PS fluid. It came out a dark brown color on the paper towel. I have no idea if thiis brown is normal. I am taken aback and just not sure how to proceed. Can anyone tell me what their experience has been with changing out the power steering fluid?

Thank you for your replies.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1,135 Posts
Maybe his logic was that the car is 12 yrs old and has missed the routine 2/3 yr changes its recommended to have & he didnt wanna be responsible for touching(and something else going wrong) it now.

Manual says 24 months or 30k

· Registered
2007 EX-L Front Wheel Drive with Navigation.
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe his logic was that the car is 12 yrs old and has missed the routine 2/3 yr changes its recommended to have & he didnt wanna be responsible for touching(and something else going wrong) it now.

Manual says 24 months or 30k
I have the 2007 manual and I have searched it from cover to cover plus the area on changing fluids and nothing is mentioned about power steering fluid needing to be changed. I bought the car at 63,000 miles and asked my mechanic about the all of the fluids. And I had every fluid changed and he told me that the power steering fluid was fine and not to worry about it. And at 1000,000 miles he told me it was still fine. This is very confusing because my last vehicle was a 1977 Chevrolet Nova and it was easy to figure out when to change the PS fluid.

I am going to go to another garage and get it changed out. I feel like I am in the twilight zone with this situation.

Thank you for your reply.

· Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD sold
4,164 Posts
Get a bottle of Honda ps fluid, a turkey Baster and you can empty the reservoir yourself.

· Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,660 Posts
That Honda service writer is a salesman, not a mechanic, and he has no idea without looking it up, which it sounds like he was not willing to do. Any reputable shop can bleed and flush new ps fluid in, or you can do it yourself. And never go to a stealership for anything but a recall or warranty issue.

· Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
14,564 Posts
Get a bottle of Honda ps fluid, a turkey Baster and you can empty the reservoir yourself.
I've replaced my PS fluid using this method. (You can also use an old pump sprayer from a plastic bottle to remove the old stuff, if you don't have a sacrificial turkey baster) I used TWO little 12oz bottles of PS fluid.

You just need to empty and refill until the new stuff is installed, takes about 4 sessions. (Make sure you use genuine Honda PS fluid, it seems to be one of those 'special' blends.)

· Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I've replaced my PS fluid using this method. (You can also use an old pump sprayer from a plastic bottle to remove the old stuff, if you don't have a sacrificial turkey baster) I used TWO little 12oz bottles of PS fluid.

You just need to empty and refill until the new stuff is installed, takes about 4 sessions. (Make sure you use genuine Honda PS fluid, it seems to be one of those 'special' blends.)

Thank you!

· Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
You all have convinced me to do it myself with a turkey baster. I have watched a few tutorials and I am now confident I can get it right.

Thanks for your replies! Great board for questions and answers!

· Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD sold
4,164 Posts
Honda PS fluid is so cheap it's all I use. I've taken to doing a single reservoir empty and refill every 30k on my Pilot. My 16CRV having electric steering has no need.

Reactions: Epona

· Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That Honda service writer is a salesman, not a mechanic, and he has no idea without looking it up, which it sounds like he was not willing to do. Any reputable shop can bleed and flush new ps fluid in, or you can do it yourself. And never go to a stealership for anything but a recall or warranty issue.
Larry, if anything you would think they would want to get the business and change it out. They just don't want to deal with such a small amount of maintenance? Strange! My mechanic and his garage have folded and now I am a little down. Was with him for years so I am just now feeling my way around for my maintenance needs.

· Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,660 Posts
Larry, if anything you would think they would want to get the business and change it out. They just don't want to deal with such a small amount of maintenance? Strange! My mechanic and his garage have folded and now I am a little down. Was with him for years so I am just now feeling my way around for my maintenance needs.
I know, right? Ouch on your mechanic! I'd be done in without mine. P.S. - Like brake fluid, do NOT get this stuff on your paint, it might eat it up. Thoroughly clean any spills or splashes or other contamination off painted surfaces.

· Registered
517 Posts
If you don't want to change all of at once for fear of shocking the system,
use the turkey baster method and replace the fluid in the fill tank.
Run around for a couple of weeks and do it again.
Gradually refreshing and replacing the old fluid.
New fluid will be better than leaving the old fluid in there
not to mention the cost of a worn and leaking rack and pinion unit.

· Registered
517 Posts
You all have convinced me to do it myself with a turkey baster. I have watched a few tutorials and I am now confident I can get it right.

Thanks for your replies! Great board for questions and answers!
It's very easy to do. I empty my tank and refill to the Full mark,
after the refill, start the car and turn the wheels all the way to the
left and right--this is called lock to lock--then check fluid level again.
I usually wait a week and repeat the process.
Last year I did mine 7 or 8 times but that's just me.
I only use Honda Fluids.

· Registered
4 Posts
Hello Fellow CRV Friends,

I went to a local Honda dealership yesterday to get my power steering fluid changed out. I have 122,000 miles on my 2007 CRV and it has not ever been changed. The manager in charge of the service area suggested that I just leave it alone because Honda has no recommendations unless there is a power steering leak. I was genuinely surprised. Since I didn't know what else to say, I left the dealership.

I took a white paper towel and rolled it up and just put the edge of it in the PS fluid. It came out a dark brown color on the paper towel. I have no idea if thiis brown is normal. I am taken aback and just not sure how to proceed. Can anyone tell me what their experience has been with changing out the power steering fluid?

Thank you for your replies.
i have never heard of it but i would change it with original honda power steering fluid. there is no harm at all.

· Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just to report back here: I purchased 4 bottles of genuine Honda power steering fluid and used a turkey baster to pull out the blackish brown fluid out of the reservoir. I put in the new fluid and each time I turned on the engine and turned my wheel each time all the way to the left and all the way to the right just as I observed on the youtube tutorials. By the 4th bottle the fluid was turning an amber yellow color. I have a picture of the before and after white paper towels, one that is dark brown and one that is now yellow. Plus the black fluid that I collected out of the reservoir.

One garage told me it would cost $ 160.00 to $ 180.00 to have it changed out. 4 bottles @ $4.35 = $17.40 whewww....a lot cheaper.

It feels so good to know I can do this myself. Thank you all for your encouragement!

Attachments

· Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I belong to a Facebook site that is for 3rd generation CRV's since mine is a 2007. There is an individual there who has 130,000 miles and has only changed out his oil and none of his other fluids. And a couple of other people who have not ever changed out their power steering fluid even over 100,000 miles.

It would just stand to reason that the grime collected over time changes that amber color to dark brown and cannot be helping the car. I just find it strange that Honda says it isn't important enough to change out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.