Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just had maintenance for my transmission. I ALWAYS ask them to use the specific Honda transmission fluid. I was later reviewing my invoice and it stated that Dexron III was used. I called the mechanic and he told me it was "Honda Dexron III" that he got from the dealer.

I can't find any internet mention of a Honda brand Dexron III. Am I being dupped?

My CRV is a 2000 with 155K miles and I live in San Diego.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
If you have your owners manual it will tell you what kind you're supposed to use. You can also go to the Honda owners website and download the manual for free.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Many have had great results with Amsoil, Valvoline Max/life Dex/Merc atf, and other synthetic atfs.

Honda only recommends their Honda Z-1 or their Honda DW-1 for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation CRV AT vehicles. In the 2000 CRV owner's manual (page 221) they state to only use Honda Z-1 and, in an emergency, you can use Dexron III but to 'flush' it with Honda Z-1 (do not use Z-1, but use Honda DW-1 or one of the others I mentioned) as soon as it is convenient. A flush is 4 drain and fills with driving (or doing the specific procedure while on a lift) in between drains and fills to thoroughly mix up the fluid. 4 drain and fills will take aprox 14 qts of atf. Some owners have had great luck with using Dexron III and the recommended dose of Lubegard Black, I think. :(

Z-1 is not recommended at all anymore, thankfully.
Buffalo4
PS: I have never heard of a Honda Dexron III.
How many qts were on the invoice?
I wouldn't chance it

·
Registered
75 Posts
There is no such thing as "Honda Dexron III". If your mechanic told you that, I would find a new mechanic because it is unacceptable for a professional mechanic to not know such a basic fact about Honda fluids.

Dexron is a GM standard for ATF.

Honda's current ATF for all non-CVT automatic transmissions is ATF-DW1. Prior to that, it was ATF-Z1.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts