Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have a CR-V Model equipped with Navigation, do you prefer the installed Navi or do you prefer using Apple Maps through Car Play? I'm looking at a CR-V for my parents and trying to decide if purchasing a trim level with Navi is worth it, or if individuals are finding Apple Maps does a great job. Any thoughts/feedback is welcome and appreciated.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've used both and they both do a great job, although I would say getting a vehicle with CarPlay would make it more futureproof as the app lives on your phone and not in the head unit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
For a little context; I'm 73, have a 2017 CR-V Touring, an iPhone 7 Plus and do not have an unlimited data plan.
I prefer the Honda Navi because the display is much easier to see, doesn't require that I plug my phone into the USB socket when I want to use GPS(less fuss the better) and there is no per minute charge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've used both and they both do a great job, although I would say getting a vehicle with CarPlay would make it more futureproof as the app lives on your phone and not in the head unit.
Oh CarPlay is a definite. I was just trying to figure out if it was worth the extra cash for the factory navigation. I didn't even think about the fact that Apple Maps will constantly be updated vs a factory nav that can get out of date fairly quickly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I slightly prefer the built-in Navigation, although I use both. The built-in Navigation uses the whole screen to display the map, except when turning. Apple maps always has the next turn or directions on the left side, so obscures part of the map all the time. Also with the built-in Navi, the next direction is also displayed just below the speedometer, which is nice. Apple maps can't do that. Another thing is that the built-in Navi displays the speed limit, but Apple maps doesn't. However, I think in iOS 11 that Apple maps will get that feature. A nice feature of Apple maps is that you can get directions to a store, business, address, etc. via eyes-free Siri, which is nice.

Bottom-line, I paid the extra money for the built-in Navi because there are times when I will have no cell signal, but will need my navigation.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
We don't do Apple....for anything, but that is another story. We do have Google maps on our phones which we sometimes use. However for day-to-day use I like my Honda Nav. But understand that I have been using Garmin GPS's for longer than I can remember both in the air, on the water, and in my vehicles. So I am very much use to them and love that I can seamlessly transition to this nav system in my new Touring. Garmin has the most popular GPS's in the marketplace and there must be a reason. I have used Tom-Tom (my most least liked unit), Magellan (OK, but not a Garmin) and of course lots of Gamin Nuvi's. So, for some of us it was a welcome relief to see Honda go with Garmin.

But, is it better than using your phone? Many of us don't have unlimited data. Some of us go places where there is no phone service. And, some of us like the way the Honda system just fits right in with the other controls and enjoy the ease of use of it. Each person must decide for themselves if it is worth it. Look at the responses here and you see that some will swear their phone is the way to go while others love the Honda system.

Oh, and you do get five years free updates that you can do yourself at home with the Honda system. And, if you are using the built in nav your wife (or whomever is sitting in that other seat) can get on their phone and look things up while you are using the on-board system. We like that.....

·
Registered
308 Posts
Garmin built in Nav assuming they drive in a big city or travel. It's always there, has voice commands that do work (but you have to learn them) and it has a very good graphical interface EXACTLY like Garmin's other systems. The highway interchange and road sign graphics are great and show which lane to be in at any given time. Turn by turn in the speedometer display is a big plus as well.

It probably is too much money, it would be nice if you could get it on an EX at a more reasonable price. I know we paid several thousand more over an EX primarily to get integrated NAV.

The trick is to set it up with their Home location and common locations such as doctor's office, etc as needed. My wife has a few places she always can use help with and it's WAY safer for her than watching a small phone screen while driving.

Manually entering locations is easy and makes sense in most normal situations. If your parents have ever gotten lost or turned around in a big city or a back road, the ability to easily route to Home can at least get them to an interstate quickly. Bottom line, it's always there, manual destination entry is very easy and the ability to get out of a strange place quickly is priceless. To say nothing of avoiding accidents by not playing with a phone while driving.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm not part of the 12% Apple crowd either, but prefer Google's WAZE over the other choices. The built in nav is sloooow and lacks most features that Waze has. Waze also works with Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, and can be used by Apple users. You'll get notified of weather, pot holes, road kill, broken down vehicles, traffic cams, construction, delays in speed, accidents, red light automated cameras, police activity, etc. Street names are spoken and you can search for destinations by name or address, easily, with your voice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I much prefer Apple Maps over the built in maps.

The maps themselves tend to be higher fidelity with more street detail. The Honda maps look pixelated.

Apple Maps will automatically suggest destinations based on your patterns and time of day. When I plug my phone in in the morning it shows me the fastest route to work and a projected ETA. Same when going home, without having to do anything except plug in the phone and tap on the maps icon.

Also the Apple Maps dark UI mode at night looks nice as well.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I see this discussion on car forums as well as motorcycle forums. Its always the same. Apple fans are Apple fans. (and Apple share holders love that...). The phone vrs. actual GPS unit is on-going with lines drawn in the sand. Both sides argue their points. I use both, but not while driving. I don't have a big data plan and I go places where there is zero cell coverage and no, I don't want to download the maps in advance...why bother when my trusty Garmin doesn't have to do that.

Yes, ALL vehicle factory installed nav systems cost too much. If you don't want to pay for them either up your data plan or just buy a stand alone GPS for the car. I have a nice 7" Nuvi that I can talk to and which can link to my phone if I want. But my new CR-V is a touring and I love my nav even if it did "cost too much". But guess what. When I go to see that car in a few years....its worth more. And I got five years worth of free updates to the system.

Go with whatever suits your tastes and wallet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Waze

I'm not part of the 12% Apple crowd either, but prefer Google's WAZE over the other choices. The built in nav is sloooow and lacks most features that Waze has. Waze also works with Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, and can be used by Apple users. You'll get notified of weather, pot holes, road kill, broken down vehicles, traffic cams, construction, delays in speed, accidents, red light automated cameras, police activity, etc. Street names are spoken and you can search for destinations by name or address, easily, with your voice.
Are you sure that Waze works with Apple Carplay? I have the 2017 Crv EX which I just purchased last week and I was told that only Apple Maps works through Carplay by the dealer. I have been away for the past 6 days, so I really didn't get a chance to experiment with it yet.
Apple Maps does work great, but I do prefer Waze if it works.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Are you sure that Waze works with Apple Carplay? I have the 2017 Crv EX which I just purchased last week and I was told that only Apple Maps works through Carplay by the dealer. I have been away for the past 6 days, so I really didn't get a chance to experiment with it yet.
Apple Maps does work great, but I do prefer Waze if it works.
It should be out of Beta now for both platforms

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
I like waze too and it would be super if there was a way to import this app into the touch screen without a lot of hacks .

·
Registered
430 Posts
It should be out of Beta now for both platforms

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yes, Waze for Android auto is available as a beta, but apple controls the car play environment and will not allow any Google apps including Waze.

The only way to run Waze on car play is through a jailbroken iPhone through apps like ngxplay. http://www.easonwu.org/?lang=en

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought an EX-L without Navigation as I didn't feel that the Garmin system was worth the price jump. At present, Apple does not allow access to third party mapping/navigation apps through the Carplay interface. (There is a workaround, posted above, but it requires jailbreaking one's device.) If I had the option, I'd prefer to use Google Maps. So far, though, I have been more than satisfied with Apple Maps for my navigation needs.

·
Registered
308 Posts
(There is a workaround, posted above, but it requires jailbreaking one's device.) If I had the option, I'd prefer to use Google Maps.
I wonder if an Iphone user could setup a wifi hotspot that feeds a surplus Android phone without service? Then plug in the Android phone running Android Auto to get Google maps or beta Waze?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I wonder if an Iphone user could setup a wifi hotspot that feeds a surplus Android phone without service? Then plug in the Android phone running Android Auto to get Google maps or beta Waze?
Yes, as long as the surplus Android phone is running Android 5.0 (lollipop) or better.

Downside:. Won't receive calls or text messages through Android auto or the headunit (the headunit is only allowed one Bluetooth connection to the Android phone)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 38 Posts