Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2020 CRV Sport
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the Honda hitch require cutting a hole in the splash cover under the vehicle. It seems most aftermarket hitches require the splash cover to be cut open. What add ons can I expect the dealer to try and upsell me on. Are any worth going for, thanks again

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
1,071 Posts
I installed a hitch receiver in my Gen 5 a week or so ago. I chose the hidden body style and yes, I did need to cut a small section of the road noise shield out to make room for the unit but where it comes through, it covers the section I cut out so it's a very clean fit. I also had to cut away a small portion of the bumper cover.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Honda hitch is 1.25 inch And is a very neat install with a small cut on the underside of the bumper and a small hole for the wiring harness. You can easily fit with a 1 7/8 inch or a 2 inch ball that will fit rental trailers. I mainly use it for my bike rack..have a nice 2 bike thule rack. Had a 1.25 inch hitch on my previous vehicle and it worked fine the few times I towed a trailer. No problem with rental trailers. Biggest difference with the 1.25 inch vs 2 inch may be the tongue weight. The Honda hitch is rated at 150 pounds tongue weight. Adapters are available if by chance you want to fit a 2 inch bike rack.
Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Automotive tire Car
Bumper Vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior Car

·
Registered
2020 CRV Sport
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for these replies, I just cut a deal on a 2020 Sport. Dealer wanted $1400.00 for them to install towing package. All I want is a bike rack, I have no intention of towing anything. I hope to find an aftermarket rack and get in installed.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Thanks for these replies, I just cut a deal on a 2020 Sport. Dealer wanted $1400.00 for them to install towing package. All I want is a bike rack, I have no intention of towing anything. I hope to find an aftermarket rack and get in installed.
I had negotiated a discount, paid $1260. CAD including the wiring. There is a cheaper option without the wiring but this would come in handy should you ever want to tow a trailer. Aftermarket units are cheaper but tend to hang below the bumper and I tend to keep my cars a long time (ie well over 10 years If I like the vehicle) so cost per year works out cheap enough.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I had negotiated a discount, paid $1260. CAD including the wiring. There is a cheaper option without the wiring but this would come in handy should you ever want to tow a trailer. Aftermarket units are cheaper but tend to hang below the bumper and I tend to keep my cars a long time (ie well over 10 years If I like the vehicle) so cost per year works out cheap enough.

YOU are NOT helping the OP.

The OP does not even need a wiring harness (I understand your caring for the OP's resale value).

P.S. Thanks for the photos. Looks like they butchered your bumper...

The OP can go to UHaul and have a hitch installed for $300.

FWIW: I'm installing a new hitch on our '18 Touring this summer. Have to relocate the 'kick-opener.' and do a lot of other work to have a 7-pin plug installed. You got ROBBED.

Just my humble opinion...

·
Registered
497 Posts
YOU are NOT helping the OP.

The OP does not even need a wiring harness (I understand your caring for the OP's resale value).

P.S. Thanks for the photos. Looks like they butchered your bumper...

The OP can go to UHaul and have a hitch installed for $300.

FWIW: I'm installing a new hitch on our '18 Touring this summer. Have to relocate the 'kick-opener.' and do a lot of other work to have a 7-pin plug installed. You got ROBBED.

Just my humble opinion...
My opinion and choice....the oem install is neat and I don’t have lots of crap hanging underneath the car. To put into perspective consider also things cost more in Canada and removing our 13% tax this works out to $810. US. Cost includes relocation of kick sensor and I would always recommend the install of the wiring harness to give an option of pulling a trailer . The cut under the bumper is not visible unless you climb under the car :) . I would never trust uhaul (at least in Canada) to do an install based on the condition of many of their trucks and trailers up here.

·
Registered
274 Posts
You can get the Curt hitch and have it installed for $200-250 CAD which is the same as the oem that is hidden but 2" ($150 if you install it) and get the wiring harness that is plug and play for $63. And you even paid more even you negotiated compared to the advertised price of the towing package + tax ($1174) on dealer's website lol

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X705F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 CRV Sport
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good to know Nuke, I pick up my vehicle next week. I too keep my vehicles forever, my Odyssey was new to me 19yrs ago and it is still going at 490k. I will talk to the dealer about a hitch next week. Any other accessories you would recommend that I should consider?

·
Registered
497 Posts
You can get the Curt hitch and have it installed for $200-250 CAD which is the same as the oem that is hidden but 2" ($150 if you install it) and get the wiring harness that is plug and play for $63. And you even paid more even you negotiated compared to the advertised price of the towing package + tax ($1174) on dealer's website lol

Look again, $1472 CAD for trailer pack for touring, this includes ball and assembly wiring harness and relocating kick sensor. There is quite a bit of disassembly needed for the Honda hitch and I personally would not trust aftermarket with this but I like the end result

·
Registered
497 Posts
Good to know Nuke, I pick up my vehicle next week. I too keep my vehicles forever, my Odyssey was new to me 19yrs ago and it is still going at 490k. I will talk to the dealer about a hitch next week. Any other accessories you would recommend that I should consider?
My TSX at over 13 years old is also going strong with original oem rubber mats and carpet mats.
You can likely negotiate 15-20% discount on any accessories, maybe more these days.
I like the hi-wall rubber mats and trunk mat and I suspect they would last longer than the weatherguard ones. Nice the way they are one piece in the back, especially with 3 small granddaughters Back there! Only drawback is the area under the accelerator pedal will accumulate some dirt and salt, same as in my TSX but a quick vacuum or hot water on a rag in the case of the salt cleans things up quickly. Wheel locks are cheaper at the parts desk as they charge for installation. I also picked up a touch up stick at the parts desk although have not needed this since December..tend to be very selective where I park.
You should really like this car but be sure to thoroughly read the online manual to get full benefit.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Look again, $1472 CAD for trailer pack for touring, this includes ball and assembly wiring harness and relocating kick sensor. There is quite a bit of disassembly needed for the Honda hitch and I personally would not trust aftermarket with this but I like the end result
I am in GTA. I am just wondering the price you said negotiated for the towing package with installation because it was higher compared to Honda's dealer like Sisley's advertised price with tax.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
497 Posts
I am in GTA. I am just wondering the price you said negotiated for the towing package with installation because it was higher compared to Honda's dealer like Sisley's advertised price with tax. Eg.. EX-L..$1080.60, touring

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
I am GTA as well (Brampton), dealership was Performance Honda.
Check the website For Honda Canada...different pricing for touring vs others due mainly to the harness for the repositioned kick sensor which is only needed for the touring....$1472.60, towing package 1 for the touring.
For the EX-L and other trims the MSRP is $1080.60. for towing package 1.
Sounds like your dealer could have made an error if they intended to quote you MSRP touring or maybe they gave a discount..these days I suspect there will be bigger discounts than last December.
My price paid was for a negotiated percent discount Below MSRP for any accessories I was adding.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Putting this on here to help people over the next twenty years. $300 to $400 will get you an installed 2” hidden hitch at an aftermarket place with electrical for some possibility of towing a small trailer (can’t predict when you might need this). The class three receiver works well with the Yakima Full Tilt bike rack we use for a family of three. 90” skybox for skiing. Full Yakima for one key system. Hope this helps.
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Family car Asphalt
Automotive exterior Vehicle Auto part Luxury vehicle Car
Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Tire Automotive tire

·
Registered
274 Posts
Putting this on here to help people over the next twenty years. $300 to $400 will get you an installed 2” hidden hitch at an aftermarket place with electrical for some possibility of towing a small trailer (can’t predict when you might need this). The class three receiver works well with the Yakima Full Tilt bike rack we use for a family of three. 90” skybox for skiing. Full Yakima for one key system. Hope this helps. View attachment 139273 View attachment 139274 View attachment 139275 View attachment 139276
Link for the crossbar? Thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
Here's a video comparison of Curt, Drawtite, and e-trailer for the 2019 CRV:

And scroll down that link! Lots of great written info. Plus, there are detailed installation videos for all 3 hitches.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.