Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,511 Posts
So now we can upgrade without going to dealer.
The needed firmware is only available to Honda Dealers.... through their internal Honda access via PC.

Also.. firmware updates can be a bit dicey (things can go wrong) ... so best not to try to do them at home even if you managed to get a copy of the file.

This will very likely change with the next gen CRV.... given that the newest generation Accords allow headunit firmware updates at home via wireless. The Accord benefits from being a newer generation release (2018) compared to the current generation CRV. I love the new Head Units in the current generation Accords... and wish we had them in the current generation CRV. It's all about design cycle timing though.. I so I get why we don't have it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just spent 5 min to download everything. But the question is Do I need this upgrade if I had no problems?
No. You should not apply updates without a reason in a vehicle.

ALSO... you should not apply this update yourself. Any Honda dealer in the US will do this work for free and warrant the results.

EVEN if you feel SUPER-confidant you can, don't.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
That's a tiny update; I guess it just flips some misplaced bit... if only Mitsubishi/Honda would make the latest F/W for the whole unit easily avail. I can live without WiFi updating (and I can totally understand why they don't do it; it's a bleep!-ing security nightmare to lock down properly), but simple USB updates don't seem to be too much to ask. (Bonus points if we could update everything from USB, not just entertainment, using the entertainment unit as a CAN/J2534 gateway.)

If you suffer from the "screen won't dim" problem, the only way to get the fix is to go to the dealer, have them order a new unit from Honda/Mitsubishi, and then Mitsubishi will cancel the order and send a USB stick (with a complete FW package) to the dealer if they successfully notice what problem the dealer is ordering the unit for.

·
Registered
116 Posts
That's a tiny update; I guess it just flips some misplaced bit... if only Mitsubishi/Honda would make the latest F/W for the whole unit easily avail. I can live without WiFi updating (and I can totally understand why they don't do it; it's a bleep!-ing security nightmare to lock down properly), but simple USB updates don't seem to be too much to ask. (Bonus points if we could update everything from USB, not just entertainment, using the entertainment unit as a CAN/J2534 gateway.)

If you suffer from the "screen won't dim" problem, the only way to get the fix is to go to the dealer, have them order a new unit from Honda/Mitsubishi, and then Mitsubishi will cancel the order and send a USB stick (with a complete FW package) to the dealer if they successfully notice what problem the dealer is ordering the unit for.
That's what is surprising. These are fairly modern HU's yet they didn't build in the ability to easily update via USB. My 2011 Jeep GC had an outdated even at the time head unit and to update the F/W you just went to a website, downloaded a file, and when you ran it, it created a jump drive that plugged into the USB port to install the update. My mom even got a USB stick in the mail on two different cars, a 12 Ford Edge and a 14 Jeep GC. I just wish it was easier to update because there seems to be multiple little quarks in the system from the factory that some minor F/W updates should be able to fix without having to waste the dealer's time.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.