Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec

Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
Sort of amazing that such a mainstream high volume car like Honda/CRV is so far behind in this regard. Get with the times Honda..
adding a feature to a car that sells in hundreds of thousands of units isnt cheap.

thats why you see low volume competitors wit cool gadgets.

the hood loves shiny stuff that doesnt last lol

Registered
Most of the technology/hardware is already in the car. And being a high volume car means any additional develolment cost is spread over a large number of vehicles. The additional cost per vehicle would likely be pretty low. However as pointed out, pennies do count in mainstream vehicles.

The functions that exist in the Hondalink app are pretty useless for the consumer. If I want to know the oil life I don't need to do it remotely. It seems to be there as a sales channel for Honda for instance to have people schedule maintenance more easily.

I tried Hondalink for a few minutes. After finding the bugs and seeing the lack of functionally I deleted it. The majority of the reviews on the PlayStore are one star reviews which should be an embarrassment for Honda.

Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
Sort of amazing that such a mainstream high volume car like Honda/CRV is so far behind in this regard. Get with the times Honda..
Design cycle timing is why, in my view.

Evidence.... the newer generation Hondas (Accord, Odyessy, etc) do have full HondaLink features available. The gen5 CRV design predates them, and is likely why it only has a gimped implementation of HondaLink (same was true for earlier generations of some other Honda models).

Thing is.. last time I checked, these features all require a paid monthly subscription (true for most, if not all, brands) after some free trial period. The length of the trial period does vary by brand.

Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
Most of the technology/hardware is already in the car. And being a high volume car means any additional develolment cost is spread over a large number of vehicles. The additional cost per vehicle would likely be pretty low. However as pointed out, pennies do count in mainstream vehicles.

The functions that exist in the Hondalink app are pretty useless for the consumer. If I want to know the oil life I don't need to do it remotely. It seems to be there as a sales channel for Honda for instance to have people schedule maintenance more easily.

I tried Hondalink for a few minutes. After finding the bugs and seeing the lack of functionally I deleted it. The majority of the reviews on the PlayStore are one star reviews which should be an embarrassment for Honda.
The unstated cost though is literally any change to an existing model in production carries a disruptive overhead cost in the production lines, which is why most manufacturers only make changes once or twice between new design releases.

In addition... I doubt the hardware is actually there in the gen5 CRVs for the advanced HondaLink features. Honda earns money off of HondaLink subscriptions so they certainly have motive to "activate" said features if they do already exist.

Registered
The link above doesn't have information for the new CRV Hybrid. Does it have these features?

With all of engineering changes made in the hybrid if the issue is the timing of the development cycle you would have thought Honda might have included it in the hybrid.

Seems to me that it would be more of a software issue (pure guess on my part since I have no inside knowledge). The connection to Hondalink is there (e.g. for oil level). The ability to remote start (via remote) is there so for instance to add the ability to remote start via the app would seem like its connecting the dots via software. Given the poor quality of the Hondalink app even for the basic functions it has now, maybe Honda needs to ramp up its software development capability.

Registered
2020 CR-V Touring 2WD
Arrive at your vehicle with the engine warmed up and the interior set to a comfortable temperature"

Haha. Not with a CRV!
I believe my CRV has that. Enabled through the fob, not Hondalink. (2020 Touring)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts