Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any Honda mechanics on this forum?

I mean no disrespect, but I have heard so many different "things" from Honda owners and I'd like to hear from an ASE mechanic.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I'm a life long ASE Tech. Not specifically Honda expert but that's all we own, know then rather well except for the newest stuff.

What are you needing?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm a life long ASE Tech. Not specifically Honda expert but that's all we own, know then rather well except for the newest stuff.

What are you needing?

What are your thoughts regarding turbo GDI engines and the problems they face such as oil dilution? Thanks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 2009 Honda CRV had a transmission service at my local Honda dealer.
it was just a drain and fill.
The vehicle had 94,700 miles on it and has been well cared for.

I thought the transmission service was at 100,000 mile---but was told that the computer determines when it needs to be serviced.
The dealer said that the BIG transmission service (3 drain & fills) is done at 100K.

1st question---between the 3 drain & fills, is the car driven or shifted through the gears?
2nd question--Is the 3rd time for the drain & fill kept in the transmission, or is that drained out and the trans filled a 4th time?

I was told at the dealer that I need brake pads IMMEDIATELY.
Someone told me that there should have been a warning light come on ----but another someone told me that only the newer cars have brake pad sensdors.

3rd question---Is there a brake pad sensor on these cars?

4th question---What components are included in a "water pump package"

I looked on a Honda parts page and saw that there are 2 timing belts and 2 tensioners---

5th question---why are there 2 timing belts?

This will do for now---More to come later....

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts

I thought the transmission service was at 100,000 mile---but was told that the computer determines when it needs to be serviced.
The dealer said that the BIG transmission service (3 drain & fills) is done at 100K.

1st question---between the 3 drain & fills, is the car driven or shifted through the gears? Yes. Drive about 100 miles between drain and re-fills.
2nd question--Is the 3rd time for the drain & fill kept in the transmission, or is that drained out and the trans filled a 4th time? No, the 4th fill would be what stays in there.

Someone told me that there should have been a warning light come on ----but another someone told me that only the newer cars have brake pad sensdors.

3rd question---Is there a brake pad sensor on these cars?As far as I know there is no sensor. You need to look for yourself or trust what the dealer is telling you.

4th question---What components are included in a "water pump package" Never heard of this

I looked on a Honda parts page and saw that there are 2 timing belts and 2 tensioners---

5th question---why are there 2 timing belts? Your vehicle has a timing chain not a timing belt, so no need to change that unless your V is throwing a code. You have a serpentine belt that should be replaced around 100K miles. IMO there is no need to replace the tensioner unless it's making noise.

This will do for now---More to come later....

Thank you very much.
I replied to your questions in red. Tigris will chime in later on I'm sure and give his thoughts.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,072 Posts
What has been done besides oil changes that can be verified, so far? Remember, most services have a TIME as well as MILEAGE interval. The MM only does mileage for services other than oil changes.
There should have been an MM code for transmission service (single drain & fill) every 30K miles. Diff fluid too, if your V is AWD.

---between the 3 drain & fills, is the car driven or shifted through the gears?
The 3X D&F is only needed if you are having issues (because the fluid changes weren't done), or if a non-Honda shop has used the wrong ATF. The 3X procedure calls for a short drive between each change, using the trans in all modes (reverse, overdrive, etc).
--Is the 3rd time for the drain & fill kept in the transmission, or is that drained out and the trans filled a 4th time?
'3 time's the charm'. That will replace ~ 95% of the ATF.

A 4th D&F is past the point of diminishing returns.
Someone told me that there should have been a warning light come on ----but another someone told me that only the newer cars have brake pad sensors.

3rd question---Is there a brake pad sensor on these cars?
No electrical sensor to replace as in some cars. The wear indicator is a 'squealer' clip that is supposed to make noise when the pads get less than 1 mm thick, so if you hear squealing, make a brake appt.

Sometimes (if the brake fluid hasn't been replaced at the recommended 3 year interval) the fluid level will drop and that will illuminate the BRAKE warning.
4th question---What components are included in a "water pump package"
There is NO official 'water pump package' recommended by Honda. That type of thing is often recommended for engines with a timing belt because of the labor necessary for the timing belt change. Our '06 is on the OEM water pump at 185K miles.

The North American K-engine uses a timing chain. If your oil has been changed on time it should last more than 200K miles, maybe longer.

why are there 2 timing belts?
Some V6s and V8s have two timing belts, one for each bank of cylinders. But as I said, the Honda K series engine uses a chain.

Let us know if you have any more questions, and please provide the additional info requested. Not all ASE techs know the nuances of every brand...:eek:

EDIT: Obviously Coastie types faster than I do, LOL.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Holy crap that's a list

Yes at around 100k a 3x drain and fill is done, the third one stays in. This is NOT necessary if a single drain and fill is done around every 15k miles.

BUT NEVER EVER try to go that long without servicing the transmission. Fastest way to kill any automatic. Should never exceed 30k, less is required for severe use (towing or constant heavy loads etc). For hondas a drain and fill every other year if not every year is best to maximise life (mine has 223k on it for a supposedly junk version of the transmissions hehe. Problem is mostly owners not the transmissions)

Vehicle doesnt require being driven when done in a proper shop. the vehicle is off the ground so they can simply put in gear and cycle through the gears a few times, shut off and do the next drain/fill

Brake pad sensors, LOL ya those dont exist except on very new higher end vehicles. Newest CRVs may have them I do not now.

Like any vehicle NEVER EVER rely on dash lights to tell you when you need service. Things like brakes should be checked every oil change or at least once a year.

If they say you need them now DONT WAIT. There is a reason they say immediately. because if pads get too low your repair cost just tripled easily do to needing new rotors.

No such thing as a water pump package. If the water pump goes out, the pump itself is change and engine refilled with coolant. Unless pump has locked up and damaged the serpentine belt that is it. Pump with gasket and coolant.

At your mileage however replacing the thermostat is probably a good idea. Do it before it fails. It's not a repair part, it's a routine maintenance part because it controls the most critical system for the engine and transmission. Keeping them cool.

NO CRV MADE FROM 2002 till at least 2015 uses a timing belt. The K series engines are timing chain.

I recommend replacing MAIN CHAIN AND TENSIONER (just those 2 items unless there is other issues with the timing chain system) at 125-150k. Contrary to what people say, timing chains NEVER LAST THE LIFE OF AN ENGINE. Those that assume that trash engines long before their useable life is actually over because if the chain fails the engine repair bill just skyrocketed vs just a chain replacement.

Tensioner you always replace with chain. Gears are not required UNLESS the chain is badly worn (noticed when changing)

The secondary chain is for the balance shafts in the oil pan. Likely never need replaced for the life of the engine because there is no variable loading (cams)and is 1/10 the length.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What are all the items that should be done at the 100,000 mile service?

Is a valve adjustment part of that service?

I was told that a water pump package is part of that service---what items are included in the "package"?

What are there 2 timing chains?

Thanks for all the help...

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
nothing out of the ordinary. Oil change, trans fluid change, diff fluid change, pretty much change all the fluids.

You'll have to explain the water pump package because nothing exists anywhere with that regarding maintenance. There is a coolant flush that should be done but that has nothing to do with the water pump. Just drain and fill.

The timing chains were explained in my previous post.

Pretty much NONE of this is Honda specific, more or less the same for every vehicle out there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all that info---The local Honda dealer called it a water pump package---water pump, gaskets, coolant, serpentine belt, 2 timing chains and tensioners.

They also said I should do a rack & pinion replacement at 105K because it had a slight leak---
What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
you CANNOT be taking that to a Honda dealer or it is not a 2009. Because no mechanic in their right mind would be trying to sell you that for a 2009 unless they think you are completely stupid and flush with money.

The timing system and water pump have nothing to do with each other. No reason to touch the water pump to do a timing chain or timing chain to do a water pump on a ANY CRV FROM 2002 TILL NOW.

If they are doing A TIMING BELT, which there is only 1 and that is on CRVS 2001 OR OLDER and that involves a new water pump.

The power steering rack leak needing replaced on a Honda again is another thing of that's NOT A DEALERSHIP or they are trying to screw you. IF its leaking and not just normal residue then they can just change the seal that's leaking and done.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,072 Posts
Regards the rack & pinion leak:

Have them clean up the leaky area. Could be a loose fitting or funky hose.

If it remains SLIGHT, just live with it. Our '99 Acura had a R&P fluid loss over its 185K mile life...required monitoring of the PS fluid and topping up occasionally.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts