1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
84 Posts
I hope not! I think the CVT with the 1.5T is almost a perfect combo. Honda can move on from the 9 speed auto disaster in the higher level Pilot's. At least the 10 speed is an in house unit.

·
Super Moderator
3,201 Posts
Not going to happen. It's designed for the J35 family and future engines with similar torque output.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found it to be an interesting article. Hope you are on target 'rocky' and that 10-speed is destined for the larger vehicles. The CVT is a great fit with Honda's 4 cylinder engines. I like the way they perform together. For me the smooth transition is much better than previous automatics. Why so many get hung up on the 'shifting' and believe they need to feel it is really just a habit. I'll take the smooth continuous CVT.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Why so many get hung up on the 'shifting' and believe they need to feel it is really just a habit. I'll take the smooth continuous CVT.
I can't tell what gear my 2016 CRV is in, unless I either watch Rev counter closely for the changes or I switch to using the paddles, it is that smooth.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I can't tell what gear my 2016 CRV is in, unless I either watch Rev counter closely for the changes or I switch to using the paddles, it is that smooth.
You can't tell what gear it is in because it doesn't have any. It's a belt and the pulleys change size based on the needed power. It doesn't change gears but the pulleys simply change sizes gradually based on the need for power.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
And your use of the paddles is just telling the transmission to set the pulleys at some predetermined ratio to make it 'feel' like it has gears.

·
Registered
548 Posts
You can't tell what gear it is in because it doesn't have any. It's a belt and the pulleys change size based on the needed power. It doesn't change gears but the pulleys simply change sizes gradually based on the need for power.
I didn't know A/T's had belts and pulleys, that news to me. :eek:
Are you sure you are not thinking of a CVT?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts