Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Interesting indeed, particularly these statements:

Honda splashed out incentives to sell down the outgoing generation of the CR-V.

Warranty costs climbed as the company recalled the CR-V to fix an engine problem.

Honda profits were down 40%. Can you imagine what they would have been if they had issued a comprehensive fix?

·
Registered
434 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Interestingly, here locally, San Marcos Honda is offering a free lifetime engine warranty with new CR-Vs. This is over and above the standard warranty. They are running tv commercials with the announcement.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Interestingly, here locally, San Marcos Honda is offering a free lifetime engine warranty with new CR-Vs. This is over and above the standard warranty. They are running tv commercials with the announcement.
Many times these dealer warranties require you to do all your maintenance at the dealership.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Interesting indeed, particularly these statements:

Honda splashed out incentives to sell down the outgoing generation of the CR-V.

Warranty costs climbed as the company recalled the CR-V to fix an engine problem.

Honda profits were down 40%. Can you imagine what they would have been if they had issued a comprehensive fix?
Yep. Honda uses discounts to move them out and the band-aid fix might be all they could afford. Honda tried to play the 'loss leader' game where you promote your top product to gain market share while accepting losses. It's hard times for Honda. Probably time for another leadership change at Honda.

Hopefully this thread isn't too negative. :Darn:

·
Registered
988 Posts
Of course it's all in the fine print. Lifetime is whatever they define, maybe only 7 years. Maybe gen 5 crv reliability concerns are finally getting some traction.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Just a guess, but one reason I figured why Honda will not do a even a simple SW update is perhaps financial. Perhaps not too far off. But, I will be even willing to pay for the "fix", if Honda will just offer it.
Honda's excuse for limiting the fix to 21 states was because of parts not being available. Now that there is a new/modified fix that does not include parts they have no excuse in "warm" states like Wyoming and Colorado. I wonder if they will now provide the fix to all 50 states or will $s and bean counters prevail.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Honda's excuse for limiting the fix to 21 states was because of parts not being available. Now that there is a new/modified fix that does not include parts they have no excuse in "warm" states like Wyoming and Colorado. I wonder if they will now provide the fix to all 50 states or will $s and bean counters prevail.
The way things are going they may have to call back all the cars they put the new hvac unit in and replace it with the original units. The part manufacturer probably got a frantic call to turn off the assembly line. Lol

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Based on recent industry trends, and the numbers so far, I would say it would behoove Honda to seriously reconsider their stance on these issues, because, if there is anything they cannot afford, whether it be in hindsight or otherwise, it's to lose their stellar reputation for quality, which is the one thing they've built their empire on. If they continue as they are now, then they are following in the footsteps of American carmakers, who have, at this point, been forced to abandon making cars at all, mostly, after letting quality become "job last." Honda has a golden opportunity to reap a huge bounty here, if they step up. But they don't seem to see that, based on results right now. If all this badness comes back to bite them, it will be after it's too late, so they need to turn it around now while they still can. The snowball is rolling.

I can only go by what I see, what I know, what I sense. Right now, I would not buy a new Honda if I won the lottery. The apparent risk is just too high. IMO now would be a good time for them to bootstrap themselves back up out of this pothole before it becomes a well of despair. That sounds bleak, because it is. I think they are taking a calculated risk that may turn out to be a miscalculated one. I hope not. Come on, Honda! You need your loyal ranks of owners. Right now they are falling away in droves. Offering a new Honda that is the least of all evils is better than nothing, but it does not bode well for the future as a sales tactic, eh?

That said, I love my '07. It is a solid, reliable car that is delivering a consistently excellent result for me, so far. Every Honda owner should be able to feel that way. I hope they can get back to a point where it is "job one" for them. I know they can do it. I have that much faith.

·
Registered
988 Posts
It isn't just quality, there is little demand for new cars these days including Japanese built cars. Pickups and SUVs are still in demand and especially true for American sourced vehicles.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I don't think anyone, including the OP of the thread has read Honda's publicly available financial report as to WHY Honda's profits are down 40%. They just like to post the headline. Hint, it's nothing to due to the OD issue, even though I'm sure that's what the OP wants to believe. I suggest going through the financial statement and making your own conclusions.

BTW, here's a report that stated profits were UP 40% for the quarter ending (Oct 2018). It's easy to pick and choose headlines to post.

https://www.autonews.com/article/20...it-surges-40-on-more-profitable-mix-cost-cuts

·
Registered
434 Posts
"Warranty costs climbed as the company recalled the CR-V to fix an engine problem."
https://www.autonews.com/automakers...tumbles-40-higher-incentives-weaker-sales-mix

"Quality expenses that also helped bring down profits for the latest quarter were not directly related to the massive global recall of Takata air bags that hurt Honda in past years, the company said."
https://finance.yahoo.com/m/b4aa24db...-drops-on.html

And here is the official Honda Press Release. No mention of Takata or Airbags there.
https://global.honda/newsroom/news/2019/c190201eng.html

·
Registered
673 Posts
"Warranty costs climbed as the company recalled the CR-V to fix an engine problem."
https://www.autonews.com/automakers...tumbles-40-higher-incentives-weaker-sales-mix

"Quality expenses that also helped bring down profits for the latest quarter were not directly related to the massive global recall of Takata air bags that hurt Honda in past years, the company said."
https://finance.yahoo.com/m/b4aa24db...-drops-on.html

And here is the official Honda Press Release. No mention of Takata or Airbags there.
https://global.honda/newsroom/news/2019/c190201eng.html
Yup, doesn’t take a brain surgeon to figure out doing thousands and thousands of recalls, and free oil changes, and dealing with all the added waste oil , is not helping their bottom line.

·
Registered
434 Posts

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,679 Posts
... dealing with all the added waste oil , is not helping their bottom line.
The dealers are PAID for their waste oil, by third party oil recyclers...Honda America has no part of that, as far as I know.

·
Registered
673 Posts
... dealing with all the added waste oil , is not helping their bottom line.
The dealers are PAID for their waste oil, by third party oil recyclers...Honda America has no part of that, as far as I know.
Sure, but it still takes dealer time and money, to handle it prepare paperwork and get it in location for pickup. It’s not a money maker for them. Used filters are even worse

1 - 20 of 26 Posts