Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently negotiating for a 2020 Honda Touring CRV FWD in the D/FW, Texas area. In the offer so far, the dealer has offered me a protection and value package. The only reason I know that these “packages” are included in the price of the car is because I took a picture of the quote, which they claimed they couldn’t give me. I inquired further and requested a line-by-line itemization of all that is included in each package and was told the following-

Protection Package - $799
- Splash guards -$305
- Wheel locks - $197
- Trunk tray - $297

Value Package - $598
- Nitrogen protection- $299
-Kahu - $299

Kahu is supposed to be some kind of GPS tracking system that they are promo as an easy way to find your car in a parking lot, etc. However, I have done some research and like most “add ons” is nothing but a profit maker for the dealership. I already know that I will be rejecting this.

Still trying to get clarification on the “nitrogen protection.”

I want the items in the protection package, but like most dealer add-on, the price of these seems overinflated.

Thoughts on any of this?

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,470 Posts
All overpriced and tell them you’ll walk if they dont remove it.
the protection package is about $300 MAYBE for those parts

value package you can have nitrofill done at costco for $20, just pull up before they open and ask the worker to do your tires and slip him a $20

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also, separately from the “packages,” the quote includes the following:

Window tint - $299
Door edge guards - $299
Pin stripes - $199

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They want to put nitrogen in your tires, it was a fad with little real value, and you’ll never know if they actually put nitrogen in them.

With the other items listed it appears they’re working overtime to jack up the price.

Go elsewhere, I wouldn’t trust them.
They just told me that the tires are already filled with nitrogen, but that the “nitrogen protection” package includes free refills on the nitrogen.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,470 Posts
They just told me that the tires are already filled with nitrogen, but that the “nitrogen protection” package includes free refills on the nitrogen.
so when i got mine it had locks, nitrofill and something else for $700

i told them to suck it out they ended up taking it off but i was ready to leave.

also tint should be $100 for fromt windows to match the rest

oem door edge guards are under $100 and literally go on in 10 seconds

pin stripes... i’m 39 not 79 so i can’t help u there.. i’d find another dealer.
i went to 3 in central nj and did t care who or how far i had to go for the best deal!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I’d tell them I would deduct the amount required to remove the pin stripes.

So they expect you to drive back to their location every time your tires need to be inflated.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,470 Posts
I’d tell them I would deduct the amount required to remove the pin stripes.

So they expect you to drive back to their location every time your tires need to be inflated.
nitrofill signs u up for reminders.they will text u every month to check or go to dealer to check.
smart way for them to trick customers that dont know how to properly maintain a car into rogue maintenance!

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I have not seen a single post in this thread stating the air all of us breathe is almost 80% nitrogen anyway. It was taught in 7th grade earth science. Is a vacuum pulled on a tire, to remove the 80% of nitrogen that’s already in there, so 100% nitrogen can be added?

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,905 Posts
The dealer is trying very hard to add about $1500+ in markups on the vehicle... for things that literally cost them at most a few hundred dollars. There is not much profit margin on the retail price for dealers.. so they try to get it other ways.

Watch out for them to try to offer you a HondaCare extended warranty for $5K too. :eek:

There is a Honda dealer in my area that pulls this kind of crap.. and I refuse to ever set foot on their lot. Plenty of other more ethical Honda dealers around here to choose from. I honestly don't know how they can continue to do this and stay in business selling new vehicles, because they get terible reviews online about this sort of thing.. and consumers around here are Yelp addicted on literally everything they buy.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
"The dealer is trying very hard to add about $1500+ in markups"

.....more like $3K+ here. Who in their right mind would put blue/black plastic over simulated wood. Duh.

That's why my signature says "unmolested by the dealership". I asked the salesman to call me when the next transport rolled in.......2 days later got what we wanted before the dealership had time to molest it.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Kahu is supposed to be some kind of GPS tracking system that they are promo as an easy way to find your car in a parking lot, etc.
Hmmm...checked their website, and Kahu is a gps device, but it's for dealers to locate the vehicle, not for the new owner.

·
Registered
27 Posts
All overpriced and tell them you’ll walk if they dont remove it.
the protection package is about $300 MAYBE for those parts

value package you can have nitrofill done at costco for $20, just pull up before they open and ask the worker to do your tires and slip him a $20
Attention: spending $$ on Nitrogen for your tires is just plain dumb!! As a former tech/advisor I once fell for that when I bought new tires for my 1st generation CRV. The air around us is what 80% nitrogen and it's free. No benefit for you at all. Save your money...

·
Registered
6 Posts
ch
I am currently negotiating for a 2020 Honda Touring CRV FWD in the D/FW, Texas area. In the offer so far, the dealer has offered me a protection and value package. The only reason I know that these “packages” are included in the price of the car is because I took a picture of the quote, which they claimed they couldn’t give me. I inquired further and requested a line-by-line itemization of all that is included in each package and was told the following-

- Splash guards -$305
- Wheel locks - $197
- Trunk tray - $297

Value Package - $598
-Kahu - $299

Kahu is supposed to be some kind of GPS tracking system that they are promo as an easy way to find your car in a parking lot, etc. However, I have done some research and like most “add ons” is nothing but a profit maker for the dealership. I already know that I will be rejecting this.

I want the items in the protection package, but like most dealer add-on, the price of these seems overinflated.

Thoughts on any of this?
Check online at Honda Accessories & Maintenance Parts: Genuine OEM Honda Accessories and you will find the above splash guards and truck trays and other things at greatly reduced prices. Simply show this to your dealer and tell him this is what they are worth to you. If he won't match the price, tell him to keep the splash guard mats, etc. As for the nitrogen and other "Protection Package" items, just say "no!". I had the dealer remove a "GPS" that was supposed to help police find my CR-V quicker if it were ever stolen. Simply told him I didn't want it. Dealer put it on so dealer could take it off. Tinted windows, you can find local shops to put this on for half (or less) of Honda's price. Find out local prices first and then tell dealer that is all tinted windows is worth to you. Just tell them to take off all of this stuff or you won't buy the vehicle!! Be prepared to stand up and start walking out. Dealers don't like customers walking out. Many years ago, I had negotiated a price on a Pontiac (told you it was many years ago) and when I went to pick up the vehicle which was sitting right outside, the salesman started talking that they had missed something earlier and the price had to go up a few hundred dollars. I stood up and very loudly said that we had a deal. And then I started walking out of the dealership very loudly explaining to all the other customers that this dealership was trying to raise the price after a deal was made and that I was going down to a dealership down the road to buy the Buick version this car. Salesman disappeared and a "manager" quickly got me into a private office apologizing profusely that this was a mistake and naturally I was going to get the car for the agreed price. And this Pontiac turned out to be a very good vehicle for our family.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The dealer is trying very hard to add about $1500+ in markups on the vehicle... for things that literally cost them at most a few hundred dollars. There is not much profit margin on the retail price for dealers.. so they try to get it other ways.

Watch out for them to try to offer you a HondaCare extended warranty for $5K too. :eek:

There is a Honda dealer in my area that pulls this kind of crap.. and I refuse to ever set foot on their lot. Plenty of other more ethical Honda dealers around here to choose from. I honestly don't know how they can continue to do this and stay in business selling new vehicles, because they get terible reviews online about this sort of thing.. and consumers around here are Yelp addicted on literally everything they buy.
Agree.Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have wheel locks and think they were like $60 from honda. I bought a trunk tray for $70 that says CRV on it from EBay. I bought OEM splash guards for my other vehicle on eBay for $50.
The more I read on nitrogen the more I felt it was a waste. You are going to sign off on the GPS and the small print on the bottom should say you can cancel and get your money back. They might say if you cancel on the spot they will raise the price. Do it later.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am a chemical engineer for an oil company. Nitrogen is a waste of money when compared to a shop air system and aluminum wheels. If you have steel wheels and you use a hand pump in your garage, you may get some slight rusting on the inside of your wheels because the water from the saturated air will not evaporate. Dry air that you get from a shop air system is more than good enough for your car.

·
Registered
15 Posts

- Splash guards -$305
- Wheel locks - $197
- Trunk tray - $297

Value Package - $598
-Kahu - $299

Thoughts on any of this?
Any package or add on from the dealer can be had for less elsewhere. Look around before you commit.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts