Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being active here for albeit just a short time, I've seen a lot of the members say they're long time Honda people. I am too, having bought my first Honda Accord back in 1980 (Hatchback, 5-spd, base model). That car only went to the dealer (1) one time, and that was early on for squeaking rear brakes. While it didn't even have A/C, it never had any engine problems in the 99k miles we had that car. Our second Honda Accord was a 1983 4-dr 5-spd which went 75k miles without a problem, although it did have a weird one now that I think of it. A plug wire boot had a tear in it and shorted out on the dip stick and caused that cylinder to run hot thus cooking the pre-combustion chamber seal causing it to go bad. It ended up fouling that plug with oil really bad.
Our family out grew Honda's at that point and we left the fold so to speak for awhile. We came back when our kids started driving and their getting cars (couple of '98, '99 models), none of which had major problems. Oh, we did have an Odyssey in there for a while too.
I ended up with an '02 V-6 Accord sedan which went 150k miles before it started leaking trans oil from all the gaskets, not the rubber seals. The only time that car went to the dealer was for a cold air idle valve that went bad at 50k, and again at 100k. Never had a problem with the A/C or anything else to speak of.
So the point of this thread is, why are there all the problems associated with CR-V's?
Is it just that they're built to a price point and Honda has taken the cheapest route in building them, ie parts made by the lowest bidder?
I, for one, would not be a loyal Honda fan/owner if I'd had some of the problems I've seen written about here. Maybe living in the more benign environment of So Cal hasn't stressed our car's systems the way it does for those living in other parts of the country/world.
I'd like to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I had a 07 CRV, never went back to the dealer in 82k+ miles, it had an intermittent radio station change issue, that was it. Changed fluids, filters, and tires. Had a 92 GM SUV I bought new, by 6 years old the exhaust was replaced, brakes 2x, water pump and alternator. Have a 99 Dakota, just out of warranty I replaced a catalytic convertor (dealer), front wheel bearing and speed sensor.
My experience with Honda has been good.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
This is my first CR-V so can't speak for quality yet, but if it's anything like my previous 3 accords, I look forward to many years of trouble free enjoyment. With that said, is Honda cutting corners? I think these days all mfrs do to some extent in order to keep prices competitive.

I also feel Honda still takes their product very seriously and has been one of the most consistent mfrs in the category they're. Time will tell how their vehicles hold up compared to prior generations.

Reactions: Epona

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I agree that could be a potential problem. I'm a classic/muscle car kind of guy. They were easier to work on back in those days with no fancy high tech computers running the show.

Today, they make it so difficult to work on your own car the way they cram all this stuff into the engine compartment. In my wife's car you can't even see the engine because it's covered in this shroud of protection :D

Which makes it even more important these days to get a brand of vehicle that has a history of reliability.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Perhaps in some instances but 25+ years of Honda's for our family without any issues doesn't indicate decline. To us at least...

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe it's just that here, on the forum, we only get the people who are having a problem and are looking for answers. I guess when you consider how many CR-V's Honda sells it's really a small percentage.
I'm not complaining about the reliability we've gotten out of our Honda's. I consider the '02 I had to be one of the best built cars I've ever owned. I hope my '11 Accord and '13 CR-V are the same way.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
My '11 Accord was going strong when I traded it in for the CR-V. I'm confident that like my other Accords it would have lasted quite a while. My previous accords hit ~200,000 miles easily before I decided to get a newer model.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Other car makers would have you believe they are catching up to Honda, but that is still not the case.

I manage a fleet of vehicles and the things I have to bring back under warranty are mind boggling, great warranty or not!

I'm talking the Big 3, Toyota, and the worst of the bunch NISSAN. It's like Nissan's are built to break shortly after the warranty period ends.

This is why I can confidently say no car is perfect, but Honda is the closest!

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
1976 Accord Hatchback
1979 Prelude
1985 Accord Sedan
1993 Accord Sedan
2000 CR-V SE
2001 Accord Coupe EX-L V6
2013 CR-V EX-L w/Nav

I purchased all of these Honda vehicles new. Each one of them reached at least 100k miles before I sold them. The 2000 CR-V had 226k and all the vehicles had ZERO mechanical issues. Proper maintenance is the key to making any thing last but I just love Honda quality.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Maybe it's just that here, on the forum, we only get the people who are having a problem and are looking for answers. I guess when you consider how many CR-V's Honda sells it's really a small percentage.
I agree with this. In fact, considering the number of CR-V's sold, I am surprised not to see more problems.

I had a Subaru Forester before my '13 CR-V and there are a lot fewer Foresters sold (check out the numbers at www.goodcarbadcar.net). But, on the Forester forum there are a lot of people posting problems. I really expected to see many more problems reported here. Not a scientific comparison but it got my attention.

Consumer Reports ranks Honda below Subaru in their brand rankings but my personal experience gives me more confidence in Honda. Also, take a look at www.truedelta.com reliability numbers for the CR-V and for other Hondas compared to other vehicles. It shows that Hondas are pretty reliable.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
460 Posts
I wonder what was your oil consumption for the forester, also I know forester takes 0w-20, but don't those engines allow thicker oil like 10w-30 if you really wanted to in desert places?

As for Honda's this is the first. I am first gen american born in the family and we have had ONLY 3 cars. 2 Toyota's and this will be the first Honda. We might need another car in the future for another driver, since he got a new job somewhere, where the bus doesn't travel to much.. might be a used car since he has never driven. Got his license and only had 20 hours behind the wheel total...

Anyways...

We have had 2 Toyota's, the first was the 1989 Toyota Corolla DX. It was a FWD version carburated car with only 113,000 miles when we retired it. I got it from my mom in 2004 when she brought the RAV4 FWD base. The corolla had the rocker panel rust problem but it only had 60,000 miles on it for a 15 year old car.. In 2012 It had 113,000 miles. 98 HP 99 lbs of torque optional 3 speed auto!

Corolla history
5. Muffler pipes (new england weather kept rusting them out...)
2 Mufflers
3 Radiators
3 Timing belts
3 Water Pumps
4 Theromstats
1 Radiator hose(upper)
1 valve cover gasket
2 fuel filters
2 spark plug sets
2 distributor and wire sets
2 sets of brakes front and rear
8 car batteries
6 brake line patches in different spots........( yeah)
15 sets of wiper blades
5 different tire brands.
Oil changes every 3,500-4,000 miles (regular 5w-30, 10w-30 or 10w-40) with filters
(no cabin air filter)

2004 RAV4 (60,000 miles current)
1 set of brakes, front and back
1 set of tires + 1 tire replace due to a blow out with only 8K or so miles on it.
2 batteries
6 sets of wiper blades
2 rear wiper blades
8 cabin air filters
2 air filters
1 serpitine belt
1 o2 sensor, air/fuel sensor as well as the other 02 sensor. Change both at once)
3,000 mile oil change under the 5 year/ 50K mile warranty. Conventional (5w-30)
5,000 oil change after warranty (5w-30) conventional.(recently switched to full synthetic 5w-30 still will do 5,000 miles according to the owners manual) 5w-30 only

As for reliability... Remember cars today are complicated with computers.. Also all these safety standards means less overall quality of a car. The old cars had no crumple zones so people got hurt in accidents.. but the car could be fixed.. Now today cars are design to crumble in an accident to absorb energy so occupants are safer, at the sacrifice of the entire car.
Another is fuel economy, cars have to be light weight and meet certain "emission" as well as fuel economy standards... plastic everywhere! I remember my 89 corolla HAD a SOFT padded dash and sun visors. Everything is hard plastic now. by the way... the hell with airbags, if your not paying attention and crash and hurt yourself... your fault. STOP RELYING ON COMPUTERS TO FIX STUPID.

Also take into account for reliability.. Honda and Toyota HAD to prove themselves in the market place.. Remember american cars were big and roomy, they looked nice and had big V8 or Inline 6 engines.. Then gas prices went up and guess who came along with SIMPLE, BASIC, ECO-BOX that got 40-50 MPG with a stick shift.. They weren't cheap as dealers gouge customers for fuel economy.. also being basic and simple guess who had less problems.... yep the Japanese cars..

I was surprise to see my 89 corolla had more options then a 2002 accord... A parents friend of mine replaced a Saturn manual with a accord manual VP. The only option it had was A/C and CD player.. I thought to myself WTF, my 89 corolla had more options installed... 4 vs 2 speakers, 3 speed auto vs 5 speed manual, both had ac, optional power steering vs standard power steering. optional intermittent wipers vs standard. Hard dash..

In 2003 they replace the other Saturn with an Elantra, which was nicer on the inside and had plenty of standard options, but it was automatic. 2011 they replace the 2002 accord with a Kia rio. The only thing I had to say about the rio is... slow as my 89 corolla... also for 2011 NO traction control or stability control wtf only anti lock brakes..

The reason why I hate new cars and held out for so long
1. Everything is plastic.. No bumper, don't even know why they even try. (I got rear ended twice in my corolla.. same spot 5-8 MPH and the only damage was a license plate indentation.. easy to buff out!..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVLIvf7rsBg <- Bumper system I had with my 89 Corolla
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrkA54shLhg <- Bumpers the next year for cars.... even the guy from Hyundai admits to fuel economy reasons..

2. No passenger keyhole

3. Need to use remote to unlock or if you have an alarm it will blare if you use the key...(if you have the alarm)

4. NO trunk keyhole.

5. UNEVEN GAPS.. The more I stare at my CRV the more cheaply placed together some parts are... I can't tell if it was designed for style or NOT GLUED properly, the rear door for example where the door handle is.. the left side is more narrower then the right side... The weather strip on one of the windows wasn't even cut properly.. By the way THIS GOES FOR ALL NEW CARS not just Honda's

6. It took me 8 years to actually find a car with decent trunk size as a corolla and head room.. that is reasonably priced wtf.. I had to go to a small CUV to get decent trunk space without feeling cramp.

7. I hate new car slope design. You can't see the road as clear as older cars.

It is the real reason why I went with LX instead of EX. less things to go wrong! No sunroof for leak. We keep our cars for at least 20 years before replacing.. in case with the RAV4 almost 10 years old so time for all fluid changes regardless of mileage.

Here is my theory on cars reliability. The average owner LEASES vehicles, so they keep it for 2-3 years, before it is sold off to auction for used car dealer lot. Then offer for sale to the next guy with a warranty. The options are the second guy will sell the car after X years so a third owner keeps it until the tires fall out, the second owner keeps it for X amount of years before its traded in because bored of style or getting to old(to old now to resell) and get another car, the car is given to a relative, Or third possibility driver totals cars somewhere along the 3 owners.

Since the average car ownership is about 10-12 years, that is what they were built to last before all these problems, or the average car accident in which its consider totaled. The problem is when they bump into people like us. We buy our cars and we keep them until the wheel falls off which is 20 + years. Most people get bored with style or cars after X amount of years so they built it for those X years. People want features and don't care how long the car last as long as it is enough for them to get their hands on the new ones that come out.

Cars back in the days were designed for 15 year ownership. Today only 10-12 years. Even Hyundai 10 year/100,000 miles is a joke because most people will pass the 100,00 mile mark at year 7-8 years or so. Don't even think the 10 year warranty transfer to the new owner.. Also that means the dealership holds you hostage for 100,000 miles because to be in "good standing" with the warranty the dealership must track everything from oil changes to maintenance.

/end rant

·
Registered
637 Posts
I wonder what was your oil consumption for the forester, also I know forester takes 0w-20, but don't those engines allow thicker oil like 10w-30 if you really wanted to in desert places?
The last time I checked I was at about a quart every 1,500 miles. The spec is 1 quart every 1,200 miles (still within spec at that rate of consumption) and the OCI for normal conditions is every 7,500 miles.

When I asked the dealer if they would try a heavier weight oil they said no, only the 0W-20. So, I decided not to be stressing over it and traded it in.

The problem is probably the major complaint about that engine (FB25) and is effecting the 2014 Foresters also. Many owners are not happy and others drive around with a 5 gallon container of oil in the cargo area.

There was recently a TSB issued over a problem with the rings but not all model years are included and then you have to be out is spec (I think) for Subaru to do anything.

Of course, all auto makers have oil eaters but as far as I can tell, the CR-V isn't one of them. Fingers crossed!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
100 Posts

As for Honda's this is the first. I am first gen american born in the family and we have had ONLY 3 cars. 2 Toyota's and this will be the first Honda. We might need another car in the future for another driver, since he got a new job somewhere, where the bus doesn't travel to much.. might be a used car since he has never driven. Got his license and only had 20 hours behind the wheel total...

Anyways...

We have had 2 Toyota's, the first was the 1989 Toyota Corolla DX. It was a FWD version carburated car with only 113,000 miles when we retired it. I got it from my mom in 2004 when she brought the RAV4 FWD base. The corolla had the rocker panel rust problem but it only had 60,000 miles on it for a 15 year old car.. In 2012 It had 113,000 miles. 98 HP 99 lbs of torque optional 3 speed auto!

Corolla history
5. Muffler pipes (new england weather kept rusting them out...)
2 Mufflers
3 Radiators
3 Timing belts
3 Water Pumps
4 Theromstats
1 Radiator hose(upper)
1 valve cover gasket
2 fuel filters
2 spark plug sets
2 distributor and wire sets
2 sets of brakes front and rear
8 car batteries
6 brake line patches in different spots........( yeah)
15 sets of wiper blades
5 different tire brands.
Oil changes every 3,500-4,000 miles (regular 5w-30, 10w-30 or 10w-40) with filters
(no cabin air filter)

2004 RAV4 (60,000 miles current)
1 set of brakes, front and back
1 set of tires + 1 tire replace due to a blow out with only 8K or so miles on it.
2 batteries
6 sets of wiper blades
2 rear wiper blades
8 cabin air filters
2 air filters
1 serpitine belt
1 o2 sensor, air/fuel sensor as well as the other 02 sensor. Change both at once)
3,000 mile oil change under the 5 year/ 50K mile warranty. Conventional (5w-30)
5,000 oil change after warranty (5w-30) conventional.(recently switched to full synthetic 5w-30 still will do 5,000 miles according to the owners manual) 5w-30 only

As for reliability... Remember cars today are complicated with computers.. Also all these safety standards means less overall quality of a car. The old cars had no crumple zones so people got hurt in accidents.. but the car could be fixed.. Now today cars are design to crumble in an accident to absorb energy so occupants are safer, at the sacrifice of the entire car.
Another is fuel economy, cars have to be light weight and meet certain "emission" as well as fuel economy standards... plastic everywhere! I remember my 89 corolla HAD a SOFT padded dash and sun visors. Everything is hard plastic now. by the way... the hell with airbags, if your not paying attention and crash and hurt yourself... your fault. STOP RELYING ON COMPUTERS TO FIX STUPID.

Also take into account for reliability.. Honda and Toyota HAD to prove themselves in the market place.. Remember american cars were big and roomy, they looked nice and had big V8 or Inline 6 engines.. Then gas prices went up and guess who came along with SIMPLE, BASIC, ECO-BOX that got 40-50 MPG with a stick shift.. They weren't cheap as dealers gouge customers for fuel economy.. also being basic and simple guess who had less problems.... yep the Japanese cars..

I was surprise to see my 89 corolla had more options then a 2002 accord... A parents friend of mine replaced a Saturn manual with a accord manual VP. The only option it had was A/C and CD player.. I thought to myself WTF, my 89 corolla had more options installed... 4 vs 2 speakers, 3 speed auto vs 5 speed manual, both had ac, optional power steering vs standard power steering. optional intermittent wipers vs standard. Hard dash..

In 2003 they replace the other Saturn with an Elantra, which was nicer on the inside and had plenty of standard options, but it was automatic. 2011 they replace the 2002 accord with a Kia rio. The only thing I had to say about the rio is... slow as my 89 corolla... also for 2011 NO traction control or stability control wtf only anti lock brakes..

The reason why I hate new cars and held out for so long
1. Everything is plastic.. No bumper, don't even know why they even try. (I got rear ended twice in my corolla.. same spot 5-8 MPH and the only damage was a license plate indentation.. easy to buff out!..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVLIvf7rsBg <- Bumper system I had with my 89 Corolla
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrkA54shLhg <- Bumpers the next year for cars.... even the guy from Hyundai admits to fuel economy reasons..

2. No passenger keyhole

3. Need to use remote to unlock or if you have an alarm it will blare if you use the key...(if you have the alarm)

4. NO trunk keyhole.

5. UNEVEN GAPS.. The more I stare at my CRV the more cheaply placed together some parts are... I can't tell if it was designed for style or NOT GLUED properly, the rear door for example where the door handle is.. the left side is more narrower then the right side... The weather strip on one of the windows wasn't even cut properly.. By the way THIS GOES FOR ALL NEW CARS not just Honda's

6. It took me 8 years to actually find a car with decent trunk size as a corolla and head room.. that is reasonably priced wtf.. I had to go to a small CUV to get decent trunk space without feeling cramp.

7. I hate new car slope design. You can't see the road as clear as older cars.

It is the real reason why I went with LX instead of EX. less things to go wrong! No sunroof for leak. We keep our cars for at least 20 years before replacing.. in case with the RAV4 almost 10 years old so time for all fluid changes regardless of mileage.

Here is my theory on cars reliability. The average owner LEASES vehicles, so they keep it for 2-3 years, before it is sold off to auction for used car dealer lot. Then offer for sale to the next guy with a warranty. The options are the second guy will sell the car after X years so a third owner keeps it until the tires fall out, the second owner keeps it for X amount of years before its traded in because bored of style or getting to old(to old now to resell) and get another car, the car is given to a relative, Or third possibility driver totals cars somewhere along the 3 owners.

Since the average car ownership is about 10-12 years, that is what they were built to last before all these problems, or the average car accident in which its consider totaled. The problem is when they bump into people like us. We buy our cars and we keep them until the wheel falls off which is 20 + years. Most people get bored with style or cars after X amount of years so they built it for those X years. People want features and don't care how long the car last as long as it is enough for them to get their hands on the new ones that come out.

Cars back in the days were designed for 15 year ownership. Today only 10-12 years. Even Hyundai 10 year/100,000 miles is a joke because most people will pass the 100,00 mile mark at year 7-8 years or so. Don't even think the 10 year warranty transfer to the new owner.. Also that means the dealership holds you hostage for 100,000 miles because to be in "good standing" with the warranty the dealership must track everything from oil changes to maintenance.

/end rant
The secret is: The dollar has lost some value, a $18,000 car would be a $10,000 one in current money. And also, now every car has to come with 2 airbags, the normal cost for an airbag is about $500, most cars come with 6 of those airbags, or even 8, that's expensive!

You also get a lot of technology such as stability control, traction control, etc.

So they have to work with less money to build a car, so cheap materials and bad quality things, such as tyres are the norm these days.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have had good Honda experiences for the past 28 years... 5 Accords, ('85, '85, '98, '07, '08) with between 40k to 70k miles on them. Nothing wrong in any of them that we didn't cause ourselves.

I had a 2007 Camry V6 which had 2 bad transmissions each lasting 2k miles, before getting a refund and buying my 2007 Camry hybrid.

I just traded the Hybrid with 149k miles on it. It had no issues at all, I just did the recommended factory service every 5k miles and it hummed on and on. I got a bit tired of it after 7-1/2 years, and need more functional space, which the Camry Hybrid is lacking due to the NiMH battery pack in the trunk.

I really like my '14 CR-V, and hope it lives up to it's older brothers we have owned.
null_zpsbbf7ede8.jpg

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GREAT color vicdoc! ;>)

·
Registered
460 Posts
I actually like that color myself, I do hope you get a good year and mileage out of it.. We keep our cars for at least 15-20 before we get rid of them.. No lemon yet *knock on wood*

By the way let us know how your wiper blades are in the rain!

Good cars should last 150,000 miles before giving problems.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just love the color and the car. I've driven it once in the rain and the wipers did well, front and rear. The washer fluid could come out with more pressure, I think, it doesn't cover the upper glass well. But not a major issue at this time of the year since there aren't many bugs.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Take a look at all my Honda's below, and I've never had to go to the dealership for anything serious. Never blown and engine, transmission, rear-end or anything! Never had any seals leak~

Out of all the AWD systems, only thing I had to replace was a $300 drive shaft of a 9 year old CRV. That's it, that's all, and this is why I stick with Honda.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts