Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 511 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
It's interesting China customers were able to get Honda's attention. Maybe North Americans are once again too interested in football and social media to be aware or effective. Once again, there's something to be said for being aware of your vehicle and complaining when it's not working properly. Oil/fuel dilution has been a problem for DI turbo engines and nothing is different for the 1.5T in spite of the perma-deniers, uninformed, and Honda fan bois in this forum.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Yes, I would expect the same to happen in NA. By all account Honda was late to the DI turbo party, didn't do their homework, and rushed it to production possibly because Ford was doing so well selling DI turbo engines. It's all about profits. Shortened warranties only help them cut corners and lay the risk onto an unsuspecting, uninformed zombie customer base.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Annoying recall.
I've felt the Hondas and Toyotas of the 80's and 90's were much better built vehicles.
Cheaper and lighter imported parts,financial greed by company brass, quick rollouts of new design etc

·
Registered
964 Posts
Annoying recall.
I've felt the Hondas and Toyotas of the 80's and 90's were much better built vehicles.
Cheaper and lighter imported parts,financial greed by company brass, quick rollouts of new design etc
Yes. The days of quality for the sake of quality and customer satisfaction seem to be over. Today it's more about gaining marketshare and meeting government standards. And shades of VW with Honda's response to the China recall saying the engine oil issue had no harm to the engine or car performance. This isn't your daddy's Honda.

Gotta wonder how soon until we start hearing about carbon buildup issues.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I wonder if our engines and the ones in the CRVs in China are built in the same plant?
I doubt it and it could explain why the problem is more prevalent over there and prompted a recall.
Obviously the engines (1.5 T) share the same design but components could be sourced from different suppliers (with varying quality) and the foundries where the castings are made could use different alloys.

·
Registered
203 Posts
From above link

The issue in some cases caused a strong odor of gasoline inside the car and in other cases the car’s check-engine light came on. Honda and Dongfeng plan to resolve the issue by updating the engine’s gasoline injection control software.

Do you think a simple software update is a fix to this problem, seems way too simple to fix the problem.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Don't think so crv are built in Canada and the USA. Makes no sense to ship 350k to China might as well have a plant build it near by like Japan or in China

·
crv|oc Rank: Junior
668 Posts
Annoying recall.
Yeah, don't put Toyota in that category. They are much better than Honda.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Owned 3 Honda products (Civic, CRV, Acura), now 5 Toyota (Prius, Avalon, Sienna, Prius v, Prius v). Based on that small sample (all have 40k and some 160k+ miles) my experiences have been that the newer Toyotas beat the older Hondas in reliability and cost of ownership (excluding gas where the Prius skews the numbers). My 2 worst experiences were with Honda/Acura. One transmission failure and one every brake cylinder replacement before 18k miles. The older CRV was darn near perfect. We are seeing much more complex cars with lots more electronics and safety features than the simple cars of the 80s .

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Have any of you guys ever been to China? We have a running joke in our offices about a can opener we purchased over in China. It looked exactly like an expensive Farberware can opener but had only Chinese writing on it. We opened one can and it worked fine. We used it the next day to open a second can and the cutting wheel shaft snapped in half:eek: We bought it back with us and called it "The one use can opener". If you think the stuff made in China and sold in the USA is crap you have no idea how bad the stuff is they sell to their own people.

In the case of Honda all the vehicles sold in China are probably not built to nearly the same standards as the ones sold in the USA. Mainly because even for the upper middle class family in China a CR-V sold at US based prices would be hard if not impossible to buy.

Second issue is the Gas in China. I highly doubt it's gas is even 87 octane and the overall quality is probably very low and highly diluted.

Third issues is that the paper mentions that the owners with problems are in the Northern regions of China which are just about as cold as Canada. The only problem is that the roads are either super congested or they completely suck. Either way your driving at 5 MPH in Sub Zero temperatures. Yes I think a DI engine in those conditions, especially with crap gas is probably going to have an issue.

Look I have no skin in this. I am not a Honda Fan boy, this will be my first Honda purchase and it's still a week and a half away so I could back out now if I wanted. I just know a bit about China so it does not worry me. I also know they love to complain about everything made by the Japanese. I have no doubt that the problem is real, I just don't think the NA dilution problem is in the same category as the Chinese one.

Rob

·
crv|oc Rank: Junior
668 Posts
Owned 3 Honda products (Civic, CRV, Acura), now 5 Toyota (Prius, Avalon, Sienna, Prius v, Prius v). Based on that small sample (all have 40k and some 160k+ miles) my experiences have been that the newer Toyotas beat the older Hondas in reliability and cost of ownership (excluding gas where the Prius skews the numbers). My 2 worst experiences were with Honda/Acura. One transmission failure and one every brake cylinder replacement before 18k miles. The older CRV was darn near perfect. We are seeing much more complex cars with lots more electronics and safety features than the simple cars of the 80s .
CRV is about the only Honda car I dare to buy.And that's the LX model without the turbo engine. And a Canadian car.

1 - 20 of 511 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
510 Replies
89 Participants
rocky
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing