Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Honda has launched a recall for about 1.5 million vehicles in the United States to update the software that controls the automatic transmission. The recall will include the 2005-10 4 cylinder Accord, 2007-10 CR-V and 2005-08 Element models. The issue surrounds a bearing in the automatic transmission system that was not built with sufficient strength and as a result, may emit abnormal noise or cause the engine to stall during certain gear shifts. The secondary shaft bearing in affected vehicles can be damaged if the transmission is quickly shifted between each of the reverse, neutral and drive positions. This is most likely done in an attempt to free a car stuck in mud or snow. The software update will ease the transition between gears to reduce the possibility of damage.

Honda will begin notifying customers on August 31.
Read the whole story at AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
86 Posts
i checked with my local dealer and what the media does not tell you is that the recalls are vin specific i gave my local dealer my vin number and they said that i do not need the recall so make sure everyone checks . (2007 crv Lx 2wd)

·
Registered
601 Posts
i checked with my local dealer and what the media does not tell you is that the recalls are vin specific i gave my local dealer my vin number and they said that i do not need the recall so make sure everyone checks . (2007 crv Lx 2wd)
Correct except if you read the recall notice you can infer that the vehicles may not be entered into Hondas system until after 8/31. So check again in September.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Last year someone gave me a link to a site where I could register in and bring up the history of my car since new just by entering my VIN number . At that time I was able to find the original dealer and some other impertinent information.

Since my computer crash several months ago I have lost that site . Hopefully someone here is aware of what I am referring to because it might also inform me of recalls , etc .

·
Registered
103 Posts
Wyoung,
If you go to Honda's site you can go to owner's link site to register, but it sounds like that is what you are referring to.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i also went to hondas site in canada where i live and they have a link to enter your vin there i did and nothing was found for my vin i will check again in sept but as for now seems to be vin specific

·
Registered
187 Posts
Wyoung,
If you go to Honda's site you can go to owner's link site to register, but it sounds like that is what you are referring to.
Thanks .

What is the address to Honda's site ?

I found the address to owners link site and re-registerd in because I now have a different email address and had forgotten my previous log in info. . It is neat the way that site puts up the details of a vehicle as well as a picture in the right color just by entering the VIN

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys,
New to the site and I heard about the recall. I did a little research and found that if you go to the web site

Safecar.gov

this is the government website that tracks and handles recalls of various products including vehicles, tires, car seats, etc. There you select vehicle, then make, model, year, and it will bring up a table that has models, years, and vin #'s affected. Mine is a AWD, AT, 2008 and doesn't appear to be involved. I do not know if only FWD vehicles were (ie Accords, Civics, CRV) or what makes you lucky to be selected.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey guys,
New to the site and I heard about the recall. I did a little research and found that if you go to the web site

Safecar.gov

this is the government website that tracks and handles recalls of various products including vehicles, tires, car seats, etc. There you select vehicle, then make, model, year, and it will bring up a table that has models, years, and vin #'s affected. Mine is a AWD, AT, 2008 and doesn't appear to be involved. I do not know if only FWD vehicles were (ie Accords, Civics, CRV) or what makes you lucky to be selected.
I checked that out and unless I didn't know how to navigate the site properly, all I could enter was Honda and the year . That covers a lot of ground with all the various models that Honda has . Then it wanted my email address so I stopped short right there just in case it is a front for someone wanting email address's .
It is probably on the uppy up but I will wait for more results from others before persuing it farther.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Wyoung,
I go to Honda.com, then to their automotive division, then to owners link. I have an account set up with my vehicles and vins. Although someone from another site who is quite knowledgeable states that it may not be available to those in Canada. In any event, we'll all know by the 31st or so.

·
Premium Member
3,658 Posts
Wyoung,
I go to Honda.com, then to their automotive division, then to owners link. I have an account set up with my vehicles and vins. Although someone from another site who is quite knowledgeable states that it may not be available to those in Canada. In any event, we'll all know by the 31st or so.
The Canadian version is MyHonda.ca

It does not currently give recall info.

·
Premium Member
3,658 Posts
I checked that out and unless I didn't know how to navigate the site properly, all I could enter was Honda and the year . That covers a lot of ground with all the various models that Honda has . Then it wanted my email address so I stopped short right there just in case it is a front for someone wanting email address's .
It is probably on the uppy up but I will wait for more results from others before persuing it farther.
Give it a couple weeks and contact your dealers service department with your VIN. If you are affected it will show up when they do an owners enquiry. The other thing to keep in mind is that they have to get the update ready to send out to us dealers.

As long as HOnda has your current info on file you will get a notice in the mail.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Wyoung,

Yes , I actually got registerd into the owners link with my vin just yesterday.
Neat the way it shows your exact vehicle photo . . color and all .

I am in Canada but my V is actually an American one.

A lot of people in Canada have bought cars over the border because of the huge price difference in any make and model . I didn't but mine directly south of the border but the used car dealer that sold it to me did. Cost him $600.00 to have the instrument panel changed to metric which is one of the stipulations to import a US car into Canada.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone heard of any issues with this years models? I am always wary of recalls like this even from a company like Honda, who has such a good track record. I like to just ask as many car repair questions as I can and learn along the way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts