Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DETROIT (Reuters) - Honda Motor Co Ltd will recall 1.5 million cars and small SUVs in United States to repair the software that controls the automatic transmission, the automaker said on Friday.

Kyodo news agency in Japan reported that another 760,000 Honda models were recalled in China, and that worldwide, some 2.49 million vehicles have been recalled.

That global total includes 135,142 vehicles in Canada. Honda Canada reported that recall.

Without updating the software, the automatic transmission in these vehicles could be damaged if the driver quickly shifted between gears. That might cause the engine to stall or make it difficult to put the car into park.

The recall affects four-cylinder Accord cars for the model years 2005 to 2010. The recall also affects the CR-V crossover for the model years 2007 to 2010 and the small SUV Element for the model years 2005 to 2008.

Honda said that if the transmission were quickly shifted between the reverse, neutral and drive positions, the automatic transmission secondary shaft bearing could be damaged.

http://news.yahoo.com/honda-recalls-1-5-million-vehicles-united-states-131557897.html

·
Registered
601 Posts
Attached is the actual Press release from Honda. I found it on the ownerlink.

When I called my dealers service department they said they have been getting calls all morning about it and said it would have been nice if Honda notified the dealers about it before they did the public as they had to inquire to find out about it.

Anyway he looked up my 2010 CR-V and it is not showing as needing it yet but he did find a recall that does not show in the owner link for an oil consumption issue. Basicly he said the fuel injection timing can at times be too retarded and cause buldup of deposits on the oil rings leading to excessive oil consumption. I have an appointment for Monday to get the fuel injection timing software update done. I already had the 10-077 TSB update done and while it is way better than before the update just as others have noticed it does not seem it is as good as it can be so maybe this fuel injection timing software update will complete what 10-077 should have done. I think I still may end up qualifying for the transmission software update as it may be too early for it to be in their system. We will see.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2010 CRV comments and questions

interesting notes - thanks - I also have a 2010 CRV - is the 10-077 the new recall or was that the fuel injection timing software update
I travel a lot and have 40k on my CRV, at this point I am hearing a whine from the back end. All light highway miles - also a mild shake at times - overall I am very neutral on the vehicle but at least can get 30 mpg most of the time on highway. Do my own oil changes running valvoline full synthetic 5-20 and K&N air filter. Change oil every 4k miles.
Any thoughts comments out there?

·
Registered
406 Posts
interesting notes - thanks - I also have a 2010 CRV - is the 10-077 the new recall or was that the fuel injection timing software update
I travel a lot and have 40k on my CRV, at this point I am hearing a whine from the back end. All light highway miles - also a mild shake at times - overall I am very neutral on the vehicle but at least can get 30 mpg most of the time on highway. Do my own oil changes running valvoline full synthetic 5-20 and K&N air filter. Change oil every 4k miles.
I was told to expect a noisy rear end at around 40k due to the rear diff. fluid needing to be changed.

·
Registered
187 Posts
DETROIT (Reuters) - Honda Motor Co Ltd will recall 1.5 million cars and small SUVs in United States to repair the software that controls the automatic transmission, the automaker said on Friday.

Kyodo news agency in Japan reported that another 760,000 Honda models were recalled in China, and that worldwide, some 2.49 million vehicles have been recalled.

That global total includes 135,142 vehicles in Canada. Honda Canada reported that recall.

Without updating the software, the automatic transmission in these vehicles could be damaged if the driver quickly shifted between gears. That might cause the engine to stall or make it difficult to put the car into park.

The recall affects four-cylinder Accord cars for the model years 2005 to 2010. The recall also affects the CR-V crossover for the model years 2007 to 2010 and the small SUV Element for the model years 2005 to 2008.

Honda said that if the transmission were quickly shifted between the reverse, neutral and drive positions, the automatic transmission secondary shaft bearing could be damaged.

http://news.yahoo.com/honda-recalls-1-5-million-vehicles-united-states-131557897.html
Yes , I heard about this while watching the national news tonight (Aug 05) .

I am wondering about a couple things for mine .

How will this apply to a second owner . To my knowledge the used car dealer I bought from did not contact Honda because only power train warranty was left on it due to it being a 07.

Also ,.
I live in Canada and I know my CR-V was an import as an original dealer sale in USA . I am wondering if a Canadian dealer will do the warranty work or will it have to go to a USA dealer which is a LONG way from where I live.

·
Registered
601 Posts
The latest revision of 10-077 is attached. The recall is a different issue. The fuel injection timing software update is another different issue. I suspect they all may possibly have an effect on performance so if it applies to your CR-V you want all three. I will be getting more info on the
fuel injection timing software update on Monday.

As to the rear differential a change of fluid should fix the symtoms.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Yes , I heard about this while watching the national news tonight (Aug 05) .

I am wondering about a couple things for mine .

How will this apply to a second owner . To my knowledge the used car dealer I bought from did not contact Honda because only power train warranty was left on it due to it being a 07.

Also ,.
I live in Canada and I know my CR-V was an import as an original dealer sale in USA . I am wondering if a Canadian dealer will do the warranty work or will it have to go to a USA dealer which is a LONG way from where I live.
This is a voluntary recall including all of the mentioned vehicles in the USA and Canada as well as many other countries. Having a warranty in effect or not does not apply. You could proactively give Honda Canada a call and voice you concern they will probably tell you your situation is not a problem. While you have them on the phone see if you can be added to the database as an owner for future notifications.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was told the transmission software update recall is just for 2wd CRV's

Anyway he looked up my 2010 CR-V and it is not showing as needing it yet but he did find a recall that does not show in the owner link for an oil consumption issue. Basicly he said the fuel injection timing can at times be too retarded and cause buldup of deposits on the oil rings leading to excessive oil consumption. I have an appointment for Monday to get the fuel injection timing software update done. I already had the 10-077 TSB update done and while it is way better than before the update just as others have noticed it does not seem it is as good as it can be so maybe this fuel injection timing software update will complete what 10-077 should have done. I think I still may end up qualifying for the transmission software update as it may be too early for it to be in their system. We will see.
I too called my dealer about the transmission software update recall. He said to bring the car in. When I got there this morning, he said that I need recal 10-077 for the fule injection timing, and that the transmission software update recall was for 2wd CRV's. My V is running nicely. Will see over time, especially since it is not hot out today.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I too called my dealer about the transmission software update recall. He said to bring the car in. When I got there this morning, he said that I need recal 10-077 for the fule injection timing, and that the transmission software update recall was for 2wd CRV's. My V is running nicely. Will see over time, especially since it is not hot out today.
WOW ! !
1.5 million 2WD V's . ? That came as a surprise . So how many 4WD's are out there ? ? I thought most people bought them because of the 4WD feature and 2WD would be an option in the opposite direction.

Then again the dealer that told you that could be smoking something other than the ordinary :D
Will be interesting to see what the future holds and if it is only for 2WD or not.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
At this point in time the official recall,info has yet to be released to the dealers. From the info we currently have there has not been anything published that indicates the recall applies to FWD models only.

·
Registered
601 Posts
At this point in time the official recall,info has yet to be released to the dealers. From the info we currently have there has not been anything published that indicates the recall applies to FWD models only.
I posted this on 8/7:
http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=102951&postcount=11
It is a link to a document for USA vehicles from Honda to NHTSA. In the US the 6th digit of the VIN will identify whether it is 2WD or 4WD. 3 is 2WD and 4 is 4WD. You will see there are plenty of both. Most likely similar for Canada.

(Might be a good time to consider merging the threads. I think there were at least three started on this same subject.)

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
I posted this on 8/7:
http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=102951&postcount=11
It is a link to a document for USA vehicles from Honda to NHTSA. In the US the 6th digit of the VIN will identify whether it is 2WD or 4WD. 3 is 2WD and 4 is 4WD. You will see there are plenty of both. Most likely similar for Canada.
I missed seeing that...

(Might be a good time to consider merging the threads. I think there were at least three started on this same subject.)

I am waiting a few more days for the next 5-6 new threads on the subject to pop up.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
WOW ! !
1.5 million 2WD V's . ? That came as a surprise . So how many 4WD's are out there ? ? I thought most people bought them because of the 4WD feature and 2WD would be an option in the opposite direction.

Then again the dealer that told you that could be smoking something other than the ordinary :D
Will be interesting to see what the future holds and if it is only for 2WD or not.
It is 1.5 Million vehicles total. Not just CRV's.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I plugged in my VIN at recalls.honda.com and it says I don't have any current safety recalls on my 2wd 09 CRV... Guess I'll need to check back after Aug 31...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Recall service performed

I called my dealer right away and they got me in within 3 days with a loaner. The car was ready by lunch...no big deal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So how do I know if any damage has been done? will they just update the software or do they actually take a look to see if any damage has been done?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Honda Owners Link

I just checked the Honda Owner's Link website and my 2007 CRV EX AWD is affected by the "2007-2010 CR-V A/T control module software" safety recall. In it, it says do not contact dealer until I get hard copy in the mail. I'll be going to dealer once I get that in the mail. I do not drive the CRV harsh or anything, so I suspect no damage is done to the 2ndary shaft bearings...at least I hope not (cross fingers)

I attached the PDF file for all to see.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is the recall for all 2007-2010 CR-V's

My 08 CR-V EX 4WD just got the letter for the recall yesterday. I had looked on safecar.gov and found the letter that listed all the effected cars, and my vin 9th and 10th numbers were 28. These numbers looked like it was not going to make my CR-V need the recall. I called the dealership that sold me the CR-V and he said it was. Does this sound weird, and what difference in (if any) can you tell when driving the car is noticed after the computer is reflashed?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts