Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
My 08 CR-V EX 4WD just got the letter for the recall yesterday. I had looked on safecar.gov and found the letter that listed all the effected cars, and my vin 9th and 10th numbers were 28. These numbers looked like it was not going to make my CR-V need the recall. I called the dealership that sold me the CR-V and he said it was. Does this sound weird, and what difference in (if any) can you tell when driving the car is noticed after the computer is reflashed?
I don't quite understand.
Is it only ones with certain 9th and 10th numbers that require the recall ? my numbers are 67 .
Regardless , I will probably never take mine in for that modification because mine is an American car purchased in USA and brought into Canada to save big $$$ by the previous owner . Canada Honda dealers will not honor warranty or recalls on US vehicles so I would have to take it to a USA dealer. Closest one is about 3 hour drive each way.
My transmission works super smooth with sooner than recommended fluid changes and I drive sensibly and never do any gear jamming back and forth (which is apparently what the recall is for) so I don't expect to have any problems with it.

·
Premium Member
3,658 Posts
I don't quite understand.
Is it only ones with certain 9th and 10th numbers that require the recall ? my numbers are 67 .
Regardless , I will probably never take mine in for that modification because mine is an American car purchased in USA and brought into Canada to save big $$$ by the previous owner . Canada Honda dealers will not honor warranty or recalls on US vehicles so I would have to take it to a USA dealer. Closest one is about 3 hour drive each way.
My transmission works super smooth with sooner than recommended fluid changes and I drive sensibly and never do any gear jamming back and forth (which is apparently what the recall is for) so I don't expect to have any problems with it.
A Canadian dealer can do recalls on US vehicles. All it takes is a phone call or two and the get the needed authorization to do the work.

http://www.honda.ca/owners/faqs/vehicle-movement

I have a U.S. model Honda, and I am now living in Canada. I have learned that American Honda issued a recall on my vehicle. Can I have the recall repair done at a Canadian Honda dealership?

Yes. Although the same recall may not have been issued in Canada, any Canadian Honda dealership can obtain the parts to perform the recall. If the same recall was not announced in Canada, however, or if the recall parts for affected U.S. models are different, the Canadian dealer may have to request a special parts order, which could take some time if the parts have to be ordered in from the U.S.

·
Premium Member
3,658 Posts
My 08 CR-V EX 4WD just got the letter for the recall yesterday. I had looked on safecar.gov and found the letter that listed all the effected cars, and my vin 9th and 10th numbers were 28. These numbers looked like it was not going to make my CR-V need the recall. I called the dealership that sold me the CR-V and he said it was. Does this sound weird, and what difference in (if any) can you tell when driving the car is noticed after the computer is reflashed?
Enter your VIN here to check for outstanding recalls.

http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/SEO/HondaRecall.asp?recallStatus=NO VIN&recallId1=NO RECALL IDS

The update will not affect the way it drives. It only changes the way the transmission engages when rapidly ****ed between reverse and drive.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Enter your VIN here to check for outstanding recalls.

http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/SEO/HondaRecall.asp?recallStatus=NO VIN&recallId1=NO RECALL IDS

The update will not affect the way it drives. It only changes the way the transmission engages when rapidly ****ed between reverse and drive.

http://www.honda.ca/owners/faqs/vehicle-movement
Thanks.
I put my VIN # in there and got the documemt. Unfortunatley it would not print from there . I was thinking about taking a copy to my closet Honda dealer in Canada when I get to the city in a few weeks.
On the other hand , he probably knows all about it and does not need a copy from me.
Will be curious to see if he will honor it or tell me to go dowm to Idaho if and when I decide to do it. Not for me but for a future owner of the car that might turn into a gear jammer. :D

·
Registered
601 Posts
The VIN 9th and 10th numbers willl not tell you much about this recall. The 9th digit is is a check digit it's sole purpose is to help insure the VIN # is valid. It is derived from an algorithm using all the 17 digits in the VIN. Basicly when someone at a dealer, motor vehicle department, or police agency enters a VIN into a database the 9th digit helps catch typos. It also makes it more difficult for fraudsters to attempt to alter the VIN.

The 10th digit just tells the year in your case an 8 for 2008.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Thanks.
I put my VIN # in there and got the documemt. Unfortunatley it would not print from there . I was thinking about taking a copy to my closet Honda dealer in Canada when I get to the city in a few weeks.
On the other hand , he probably knows all about it and does not need a copy from me.
Will be curious to see if he will honor it or tell me to go dowm to Idaho if and when I decide to do it. Not for me but for a future owner of the car that might turn into a gear jammer. :D
Don't fool yourself into believing your driving style will protect the transmission. If your vehicle is due for this recall get it done. The quick shift from reverse to forward is just one of the reasons Honda says could cause the failure. The real reason for this recall is a supplier of a bearing in the transmission made the bearing out of spec. It is too hard and therefore more brittle and subject to fracture if subjected to high shock loads. Rather than replacing the bearing Honda engineers came up with a software solution which reprograms the transmission to eliminate the situations where the shock load can occur.

·
Registered
601 Posts
This recall is VIN specific because it matters where and when the transmission was built. Basicly if the bearing from supplier "A" was installed the vehicle is recalled. If the bearing was from supplier "B" it is not affected.
Supplier "A" produced a bearing that was too brittle for the application. The software update reprograms the transmission to soften the shock loads to the bearing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
This is a great and very helpfull site.

Thanks to Lizzurd for suggesting I could probably get the recall looked after in Canada . I was in the city yesterday (only 120 km away) and inquired at the Honda dealer in Cranbrook , BC.
They said they had never done one on a US CR-V so they called Honda Canada and gave the VIN number. Honda Canada referred them to Honda USA so another phone call got it fully authorized.

They put it in their computer and I will call ahead of time for an appointment to have it done probably within the next month when I take my summer wheels off and put the other ones with snow tires on them because they will need to re-set the TPMS so I can kill two birds with one stone.;)

They said the recall will take about and hour and the TPMS will take about another 15 minutes so it's a sit and wait thing and drink their coffee while they do it. :D
The whole thing will only cost $19.95 because over a period of just a few years they have gone from $59.00 to $35.00 to $19.95 for setting TPMS

·
Registered
42 Posts
is this the same as the hesitation issue?

Hi so there is the hesitation thread re: turning on AC and slowness of the vehicle response. For that, there was the software fix.

Anyways I just got the snail mail from Honda for the recall. Is this mail recall the same as the hesitation issue? I had done the earlier fix for the hesitation (thanks everyone! I printed the notice and just show it to the dealer). But is this different?

Or, is this yet ANOTHER software update for another new issue? There was a 049 and then 077 bulletin in the hesitation thread (I believe they were both the one and the same updates).

Thanks for helping me keep my CRV going'!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I got both recall notices today

I got a call yesterday, and, a snail mail notice today to get my 2010 to a dealer and get both problems fixed. The car's going in next week.

Regards:
Oldengineer

·
Registered
120 Posts
Two different though seemingly to be related things. See attached.
I agree they sound closely related. I just received a letter today regarding "Product Update: Software Update to Improve Fuel Injector and VTC Timing". It makes no mention of a recall or a TSB ID but it sounds like the 2nd one you attached. I already had the hesitation 077 TSB done early this year.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi All,
I need a little bit of advise.
My '10 CR-V doesn't seem to be on the recall list for anything (I should be grateful for that) because the owner-link wedsite said that there are no current safety recall for my 2010 cr-v. My dilemma is that 1: should I take it as it and trust the honda databse is up to date?
2: should I take my cr-v into a dealer and see what they say?
Hope that you'll give me some pointers.
thanks.

·
Premium Member
2018 Honda CRV EX-L
425 Posts
10-077

10-077 is not a recall. Just tell tell the dealer you have an intermittent lack of power. They will do this as the fix. I had it done on my 2010 and it made a big difference.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hi All,
I need a little bit of advise.
My '10 CR-V doesn't seem to be on the recall list for anything (I should be grateful for that) because the owner-link wedsite said that there are no current safety recall for my 2010 cr-v. My dilemma is that 1: should I take it as it and trust the honda databse is up to date?
2: should I take my cr-v into a dealer and see what they say?
Hope that you'll give me some pointers.
thanks.
If you're in line for the re-call 10-049 you will get a letter. Don't trust the website. I got the letter and took my 2010 in. The re-call won't improve performance it's meant to possibly improve oil consumption and something to do with the software. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Service done

I just checked the Honda Owner's Link website and my 2007 CRV EX AWD is affected by the "2007-2010 CR-V A/T control module software" safety recall. In it, it says do not contact dealer until I get hard copy in the mail. I'll be going to dealer once I get that in the mail. I do not drive the CRV harsh or anything, so I suspect no damage is done to the 2ndary shaft bearings...at least I hope not (cross fingers)

I attached the PDF file for all to see.
I just got this recall service performed at dealer. I don't feel a difference in the way it drives but as "Lizzurd" mentioned, it should not change its driving characteristics.

I was first in line at the dealer and was out of there in 40 minutes;). They also did some minor inspection (checked brake pad wear, battery check, tire wear check, oil, fluid checked) and it all passed. (probably trying to find ways to generate more work and money for them...If they did find something needing service, I would have declined any offers and would have just done them myself, lol :D )

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone that has had the transmission software recall done,seen any change in gas mileage.Two days after having the software changed,I took a 2000 mile trip(almost all interstate)and my gas mileage dropped almost 4miles per gallon.Is that possible?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Has anyone that has had the transmission software recall done,seen any change in gas mileage.Two days after having the software changed,I took a 2000 mile trip(almost all interstate)and my gas mileage dropped almost 4miles per gallon.Is that possible?
My mpg's stayed the same. That was a month ago. I do think the gas stations are now selling the winter mix gas now. I gassed up yesterday and got a few miles less on my last tank.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts