Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our CR-V showed the Honda Sensing failure twice during our last long drive and it made me think about the pattern of this occurrence. I have noticed that I got these warnings almost always during the day when it is very sunny. I checked with my wife who is the daily driver and she also confirmed that it was indeed very sunny whenever she got these warnings.

• Road Departure Mitigation System Problem
  • Collision Mitigation System Problem
  • Lane Keeping Assist Problem
  • Adaptive Cruise Control Problem

I am wondering whether the problem is due to the camera module failing due to lot of sunlight(exposure?). I don't think it is heat since it happened on days less than 80F.
Can others chime in on their experience please?

I read in one of the threads about someone getting their camera replaced under warranty, not sure whether it is the same issue?

Side note:
These warnings usually go away once the car is restarted. This usually takes a while(during which conditions may change) if you need to find an exit to stop you car and restart. However, once I was driving in the city and was able to restart the vehicle at a traffic stop once I got the warnings. The warnings re-appeared after I started driving again(same road, same conditions). :(

Update: 08/05/2017

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,044 Posts
There is reference in the owners manual about temperature limitations. It's not something I have experienced.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Try disconnecting the negative battery terminal fo a few minutes. This will reboot all the software. Worked for me. Zero problems going on 6000 miles since doing this.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,514 Posts
With the alarms you list it is probably a camera problem since lane assist doesn't use the radar..but the camera is used for all the alarms. If it was a camera overtemp there is an alarm for that event. The problem is that when you restart the vehicle the source of the cause is cleared so the Honda tech doesn't see anything. I was able to drive straight to the dealer when this problem reoccured and without shutting off the CRV the tech could see the fault which was the camera.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I have driven my Touring since January. Hot days, cold days, dark days, bright sun in my face days. No issues at all with this. I did do the battery disconnect reset early on however. Don't know if that made a difference as it was still cold out back when I did that.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the alarms you list it is probably a camera problem since lane assist doesn't use the radar..but the camera is used for all the alarms. If it was a camera overtemp there is an alarm for that event. The problem is that when you restart the vehicle the source of the cause is cleared so the Honda tech doesn't see anything. I was able to drive straight to the dealer when this problem reoccured and without shutting off the CRV the tech could see the fault which was the camera.
Thanks, did you get your camera replaced?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I've been waiting a couple of months for a camera. I had the dealer contact Honda Manufacturing for an ETA this week. They said there were 34 units in route to the US and should arrive by the end May. I am on the list for one of the 34. So should see it the first week of June ( we'll see ). The bad news for others is that they currently have back orders for over 140 units. Would seem that everything that Denso can make is going to new cars, supplies are tight.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Mine fails every morning to work and every evening home. Both are toward the sun. It also fails in snow rain fog etc. Truthfully, it's horrible when it works anyway and will have you swerving all over the road so I guess it's to our benefit that it can't work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have the same problem. It has happened about 15 times since I purchased it in mid-December and it seemed like it was always sunny days that would cause it to fail. Mine flashes 3 messages. Adaptive Cruise Control Problem, Collision Mitigation System Problem and Road Departure Mitigation System Problem. But regular cruise control also fails and the Blind Spot Monitoring does not work.

It has been to the dealer numerous times and I am always told there is nothing wrong even though I have used my phone to video the error messages on the display.

Every failure I ever had was early in the day and it seemed like it was when I was driving into the sun. Then it was at the dealer last week with no solution. At 9:30 pm that night it failed again. This time I noticed that when the speed went to zero it automatically reset. Two days ago I had another failure at 7:00 pm at night on a cloudy day. I pulled over and as soon as the speed reached zero it started working again.

The dealer says they can't find anything wrong. I can't believe Honda didn't build in some kind of error log on such a complicated system for troubleshooting purposes.

I have also called Honda and they tell me they have never had any reports of problems with this system. I just got rid of my 2015 CRV for this 2017 and I'm beginning to think I made a huge mistake.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have the same problem. It has happened about 15 times since I purchased it in mid-December and it seemed like it was always sunny days that would cause it to fail. Mine flashes 3 messages. Adaptive Cruise Control Problem, Collision Mitigation System Problem and Road Departure Mitigation System Problem. But regular cruise control also fails and the Blind Spot Monitoring does not work.

It has been to the dealer numerous times and I am always told there is nothing wrong even though I have used my phone to video the error messages on the display.

Every failure I ever had was early in the day and it seemed like it was when I was driving into the sun. Then it was at the dealer last week with no solution. At 9:30 pm that night it failed again. This time I noticed that when the speed went to zero it automatically reset. Two days ago I had another failure at 7:00 pm at night on a cloudy day. I pulled over and as soon as the speed reached zero it started working again.

The dealer says they can't find anything wrong. I can't believe Honda didn't build in some kind of error log on such a complicated system for troubleshooting purposes.

I have also called Honda and they tell me they have never had any reports of problems with this system. I just got rid of my 2015 CRV for this 2017 and I'm beginning to think I made a huge mistake.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
The lane keep assist and road departure are two functions that I turn off when normally driving around town or narrow winding roads. I only uses them on interstate hwys. Otherwise they will drive you crazy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I find it interesting that some here find LKAS unhelpful except on highways, and I fin it useful almost all the time. To each her/his own!

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Finally got the front camera replaced yesterday. Previously, Honda Sensing would fault out with all the alarms within 45 min. of driving. Glad to report that during an 8 hr trip today there were no problems. This is a first since purchasing the vehicle in January. Will be putting a lot of hours on the CRV over the next week, if no alarms faults occur then problem is solved.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Finally got the front camera replaced yesterday. Previously, Honda Sensing would fault out with all the alarms within 45 min. of driving. Glad to report that during an 8 hr trip today there were no problems. This is a first since purchasing the vehicle in January. Will be putting a lot of hours on the CRV over the next week, if no alarms faults occur then problem is solved.
Good news! Any machine can fail. I hope they have you all fixed up now. Mine has been working fine for the past five or so months and I hope it continues to do so.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Tsb 17-064

Hello all,

I showed this problem to my Honda dealer when I took it for oil change two weeks back. They read the codes and waited for Honda Tech for diagnosis. I was told that the camera unit would require replacement. They ordered the part and told to wait. Here is the extract from the initial diagnosis. I think the error codes are in there.

Text Font Line Document

Today I took the car to have the camera replaced. However, when I picked up the car, I was told that when they contacted the Honda Tech again today, they were asked to update the 'Millimeter Wave Radar Software' and not to replace the camera. I got the car back today evening and so far everything is good(It is a cloudy today, so cannot really test).
It seems like this is addressed in TSB 17-064 which seems recent(Aug 4, 2017).

Text Font Line Parallel

I hope this fixes the Honda Sensing failure on a hot sunny day issue. I will post if the problem resurfaces.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Mine fails every morning to work and every evening home. Both are toward the sun. It also fails in snow rain fog etc. Truthfully, it's horrible when it works anyway and will have you swerving all over the road so I guess it's to our benefit that it can't work.
It would seem from your posts that:
1) you are a troll, or 2) you have so many problems with your CR_V that you should file a lemon law case and get it bought back. or 3) You need to get a life and find something positive in it.

If you actually own a CR-V get rid of it! Clearly from your many posts you hate the CR-V and have no business owning it. As my mother would say, "If you have nothing good to say then say nothing. I have owned my '17 CR-V for nearly eight months, put thousands of miles on it and can not duplicate one problem with it that you swear your car has. Therefore...if you have a lemon the law is on your side and you can get it returned and get your money back. Do lots of us a favor and proceed with that process and save us all having to read your endless dribble about how bad these cars are.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello all,

I showed this problem to my Honda dealer when I took it for oil change two weeks back. They read the codes and waited for Honda Tech for diagnosis. I was told that the camera unit would require replacement. They ordered the part and told to wait. Here is the extract from the initial diagnosis. I think the error codes are in there.

View attachment 93978

Today I took the car to have the camera replaced. However, when I picked up the car, I was told that when they contacted the Honda Tech again today, they were asked to update the 'Millimeter Wave Radar Software' and not to replace the camera. I got the car back today evening and so far everything is good(It is a cloudy today, so cannot really test).
It seems like this is addressed in TSB 17-064 which seems recent(Aug 4, 2017).

View attachment 93986

I hope this fixes the Honda Sensing failure on a hot sunny day issue. I will post if the problem resurfaces.
Well, the RADAR software update(TSB 17-064) did not fix the issue. It happened again and my dealer asked to leave the car with them. It is with them since Tuesday. I was told that they are doing a software update on the camera and trying to see if that fixes the issue. Since it is raining and cloudy here, I am not expecting the error to show up. I am trying to get them replace the camera as it seems have to have fixed this issue for others. Dealership says that Honda is not approving the part replacement until they can duplicate the issue after the camera software update.

Note: The tech told me that the camera software update is not part of a TSB.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.