Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 EX AWD

CMB, ACC, RWD and brake amber warning displayed. Main switch was off for LKAS and ACC. All warnings extinguished when I stopped and shifted to Park with the engine still running.

Conditions: Daytime, sky clear, temperature 47F. Temp set to low, fan low, Android Auto in use. Occurred after driving one hour on a mountain road. I keep the radar sensor cover and sensor clean.

On the return drive I enabled and used ACC and LKAS. Both functioned normally.

TSB 18-006 camera firmware update was applied on March 10, 2020 (thanks, CR-V Owners Club) for a previous nuisance warning issue January 2019 with similar conditions; daytime, sky clear, moderate temperature, long drive on country roads. I pulled over, shifted to park, then shut off the engine (soft reboot) and restarted. That cleared the messages, at that time. I was holding my breath as I didn't know if I would get a restart or normal operation.

There were no codes available as the windshield (Honda official Plinkington, thanks again, Club) was subsequently replace due to a rock crack by a third party that calibrated the camera and cleared all codes.

Took the CR-V to our local dealer. Results are a code for the Integrated Driver Support System: B2A00-92 Temporary stop of Integrated Drivers Support System (Detected Abnormal Signals). Battery tests good today, just to rule this out.

Failure rate is once every 16 months, based on two data points. Seems like a CAN bus error. If I ever get bold, I may de-sert and re-insert connectors. I'm really expecting to have to live with the problem as the vehicle is going to be out of its 36 month warranty.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,572 Posts
Probably a latent software bug, which only pops when some obscure set of conditions the software chimps did not predict and plan for. In my experience, the software engineers can be pretty sloppy about addressing odd corner case circumstances. In my career in electrical engineering, it was always a perpetual conflict between hardware engineers and software engineers as to what was causing an error during testing. Software engineers like to pretend they write perfect code so they are never at fault. More often than not, those of us on the hardware side had to actually dig into the code our self, find the bug, and then grab the software engineer by the scruff of the neck and stick their nose right on the display screen showing the bad code. :p

I have had a few and various spurious glitches in the three years of owning my 2017 Touring. They never repeat and appear randomly. With all the sensors and the control circuits and software that interface with said sensors... this is to be expected and nothing to worry about unless you get a chronic repeating one. Honda engineers are very innovative and have incorporated more and more sensors, integrity checks, etc over time and I expect it will continue. The more you add, the more opportunity for random glitches.

I tend to agree with you that many of these are simply a glitch of some sort on the CAN bus. Could be a noise glitch, a sensor glitch, or a latent software bug, or all three. And I'm sure all the code is written with a set of expectations as to normal events from different systems on the bus. You get one event that the software is not prepared for (coding shortfall) and all kinds of strange responses can occur. There is a lot going on inside these modern vehicles, so I am honestly surprised that there are not more issues with glitches and sensor issues.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts