Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a long time Honda driver but was pretty taken aback yesterday when I was driving down a four lane road with no vehicles in sight going about 40 mph. Suddenly, the Honda sensing beeping started, the brake warning flashed and seconds later the car locked up the brakes, came to a screeching halt and shut down all power. The scary thing was that there wasn't a car around. In fact, nothing even close that would have tricked the system.

I took it to my dealer, they had it for two days and ultimately said that the computer saw nothing wrong, and that they drove it for 10 miles trying to replicate and nothing happened. They said it drove as designed. I don't know what to say except that my wife is going to be driving this car and I'm a little freaked out.

I feel like one of those early Audi sudden acceleration drivers who were told that they were crazy, although my dealer didn't act like that and was nothing but supportive.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Thank you.

·
Registered
335 Posts
There's another thread on here from a couple weeks ago basically outlining a similar problem. There might be a glitch in the system, one that could get somebody hurt or killed.

Hopefully Honda will take it seriously.

·
Registered
335 Posts
There's another thread on here from a couple weeks ago basically outlining a similar problem. There might be a glitch in the system, one that could get somebody hurt or killed.

Hopefully Honda will take it seriously.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, wlong01. Hopefully others will post as well. Can you repost the earlier one you came across?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mine is the opposite - it only works if I have ACC engaged. Otherwise, it will only light the "BRAKE" light, but never apply the brakes. I've almost had three really bad accidents so far - I have to stay alert.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Mine is the opposite - it only works if I have ACC engaged. Otherwise, it will only light the "BRAKE" light, but never apply the brakes. I've almost had three really bad accidents so far - I have to stay alert.

From what i have read if you are on the accelerator and it ‘senses’ something to brake it wont
You need to be off the pedals

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I opened a case (incident report) with American Honda today. Explained my incident (above) and they say they will monitor for other incidents. Their number is 1-800-999-1009.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Cedar56 - I had the EXACT SAME THING happen to me last night. I was driving approx. 30 mph and there was nothing at all in front of me and all of the sudden there was beeping and my 2017 CRV brakes locked. Luckily there was no one immediately behind me, because it would have caused an ugly accident otherwise. I wrote to the dealer where I purchased my car and they wrote back,

"The Collision Mitigation Breaking system is a Radar wave system. It can be affected by car counters, electronic gates or any system that sends our RFID (radio frequency) waves. Honda sent out an update to recalibrate the system to make it a little less sensitive. You may take your CRV to any Honda dealer to have them check your VIN to see if your vehicle can use this update."

Though I am also a long-time Honda driver, after my experience last night, I don't have much faith in the update. For now, I think will follow the advice from the sales person and turn off the Collision Mitigation Braking System by finding the symbol that looks like 2 cars crashing and you push and HOLD until it tells you it is OFF in the inforation display where your speedometer is.

Meanwhile, I have also called the number that you posted and opened an "incident report" with American Honda. Thank you for that. And please let me know if you learn anything more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a new 2018 CR-V EX-L w/4500 miles and the car did that braking thing on its own today, mid-day, clear sky, normal traffic. Scared her a lot. Thinking about 1) turning CMBS off, and 2) taking it to dealer.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Just my 2 cents but all of these collision mitigation systems and self driving tech are half baked technology that your beta testing. If it’s anything less than 100% perfect it’s half baked and your just rolling the dice every time you depend on it!

IMHO don’t ever become conplaicant with it because you never know when the system will let you down.

Rob

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Just my 2 cents but all of these collision mitigation systems and self driving tech are half baked technology that your beta testing. If it’s anything less than 100% perfect it’s half baked and your just rolling the dice every time you depend on it!
At least it is not totally unbaked like autonomous vehicles, a concept that can never work in real-life situations on roads that 99% of us drive. At least the "safety" features can help avoid accidents; autonomous vehicles will create them. Set one of those rolling killers on our notoriously bad Detroit roads and then tell us the outcome...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2018 Cr-V EX and just experienced a similar situation. Clear day, level road, no cars in sight, traveling about 45 mph when the "BRAKE" light came on without any "early warning" alert sounds, throwing myself and passenger forward, locking the seatbelts. Thankfully there was no one behind us.

A service call to the dealer resulted in no resolution, since there was no 'error code' stored. Even though there is a TSB 18-006 concerning the multipurpose camera which involves as software update, they could not perform this update since the designated code had not been stored. Needless to say, I no longer trust the ability of the Honda Sensing to ensure my safety, in fact, I am seriously considering returning to the dealer and downgrading to an LX just to get rid of it!!

A call to Honda directly resulted in a very disappointing conversation with a representative that stated "there are no TSBs for 2018 CR-Vs".......really????????????

Call me old school, but I don't NEED a car to "drive" for me....these "safety" features were not available on the 2005 Pilot that I just got rid of for the 2018 CR-V, and apparently this Honda Sensing might put me in my grave.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've also posted about a similar incident....here's the problem...with the 2018 CR-V, the system defaults to turning the CMBS (collision mitigation braking system) ON EVERY TIME the car is started, you can't turn it off permanently!! Only downgrading to the LX will do that (i.e. NO HONDA SENSING!!)

You'd better check to make sure it's REALLY off...and staying OFF!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cedar 56. Yes I have experienced this too. Happened with me going around a left hand curve, 4 lane road, dry, sunny day about 4pm with ambient temp of around 68F. No other vehicles behind, in front or on the other side of the oncoming four lane. Darn thing just freaking locked up the brakes as if the "Predator" with his light bending camoflage suit was in the road. However the engine did remain running. Never did turn off or quit. Dealer cheked it out and found zip, nada. This has not happened exactly like the above situation, however I haveexperienced some wierd automatic braking situations: Vehicle was ~1/4mile in front of me, turned to a secondary road on the right...Evidently my CRV sensed this somehow and started slowing down, rapidly from 50 mph to~20 mph, then disengaged. Guy behind me was kind of pissed. My cruise control senses (occasionally) parked cars in the "emergency" pull off area on the right hand side of the interstate. Sometimes it brakes and sometimes it does not. I just never know when this "ghost like" function will engage. Does not seem to matter how close I am to the right hand lane, or ambient temp, or rain or sun. I occasionally get into the same situation when cruising and I am overtaking a slower vehicle who is in the right hand lane on the interstate...no one else around but us, and the darn car just starts braking. I have asked the dealer to check this over and over. during the last 9 trips to the service department. They keep telling me everything checks out fine, cameras are positioned correctly, no apparent TSB's or recalls on this issue. So far during the first 18 month of ownership have had three cameras replaced, and entire instument cluster replaced, weatherstripping on the drivers door, back up sensor audio warning device and many more niggling problems. But I feel uncomfortable handing this vehicle over to my wife knowing this crazy braking problem exists.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rick, have similar issues with my '17EX-L. It gives me a brake warning for cars in their own lane approaching me, in cars in their own lane, on a straight stretch that are to my right or left. Hell I had it flash the brake warning for a car that was turning right from a side street to my left, into its on lane and no danger to me! I am pretty sure these issues are a result of defects in the head unit or its software. I have to take mine back to the dealer again, for the 3rd time due to problems centered in the head unit. First time Honda had no idea what was wrong, so they took a W.A.G. and told dealer to do a hard restart on the head unit, it worked, second time it was throwing all kind of error codes on things working perfectly normal. There was a soft ware up date that worked, but now there are new issues with it, the least of which is how slow it had gotten.All these silly nannies like the cameras, braking etc. ALL go through the head unit, so it has to be something there. Oh, and Honda cant figure it out either,i have complained enough to them that i think they know me by name.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Friends, I really need your help. I want to buy a car. More precisely not only myself. For the whole family. Family car for comfortable trips. Tell me, please, what better car to take. Thank you very much!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ive had my 2018 CRV LX flash the Brake warning once in a while, but it hasn't actually braked for no reason.

Maybe, it's just me, but I won't rely on the car to actually brake for me. The brake warning is there to warn you, and I see the automatic braking as a hail mary. I am still responsible for stopping the car. It shouldn't get to the point that I am relying on the car to break. Again, maybe it's just me. I'm not a technophobe... but braking is where I don't trust technology yet.

·
Registered
548 Posts

IMHO don’t ever become conplaicant with it because you never know when the system will let you down.

Rob
You are dead right (pun unintended) Rob, all these electronic gadgets are aids, you as the driver are still ultimately responsible for the lives of your passengers and other road users, so stay alert out there folk.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
IF ANYONE IS RELYING ON THIS NEW TECH WHEN THEY ARE DRIVING, GET OFF THE ROAD. Because you arent safe to be behind the wheel and going to get people killed plain and simple.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts