Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have a 2018 Cr-V EX and just experienced a similar situation. Clear day, level road, no cars in sight, traveling about 45 mph when the "BRAKE" light came on without any "early warning" alert sounds, throwing myself and passenger forward, locking the seatbelts. Thankfully there was no one behind us.

A service call to the dealer resulted in no resolution, since there was no 'error code' stored. Even though there is a TSB 18-006 concerning the multipurpose camera which involves as software update, they could not perform this update since the designated code had not been stored. Needless to say, I no longer trust the ability of the Honda Sensing to ensure my safety, in fact, I am seriously considering returning to the dealer and downgrading to an LX just to get rid of it!!

A call to Honda directly resulted in a very disappointing conversation with a representative that stated "there are no TSBs for 2018 CR-Vs".......really????????????

Call me old school, but I don't NEED a car to "drive" for me....these "safety" features were not available on the 2005 Pilot that I just got rid of for the 2018 CR-V, and apparently this Honda Sensing might put me in my grave.
Per the Owner's Manual, pressing the gas pedal lightly will override cruise control braking. And CMBS braking can be overridden by deeply pressing the gas pedal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It must be illegal to sell a vehicle, which does not store a log of artificial intelligence feature activation. Contact your rep and demand that to be made into a law, as otherwise car manufacturers would be able to deny blame forever.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
It must be illegal to sell a vehicle, which does not store a log of artificial intelligence feature activation. Contact your rep and demand that to be made into a law, as otherwise car manufacturers would be able to deny blame forever.
I get that you are currently frustrated over your vibration issue with your 2014 you just purchased .. but this comment by you is completely out of context of the discussion about Honda Sensing, how it works, and what is tracked and logged.

And just so you know.. the modern Hondas DO log information on just about every abnormal event that takes place with a vehicle.. including HondaSensing. An owner may or may not be able to pull the event logs... as that may be dealer restricted on some things.. but the data is logged.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If this technology did log, then the dealer would have had no reasons to claim that they had to reproduce the issue to address it. Something does not add up. And please do not mix threads.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
If this technology did log, then the dealer would have had no reasons to claim that they had to reproduce the issue to address it. Something does not add up. And please do not mix threads.
The fact that the vehicle did not log an error or hazard specifically indicates that the system was working as intended.

What does not add up is that you did not take the time to actually read the discussion, nor take time to understand how HondaSensing works and does not work. If the system detects a hazard, it will respond to said hazard.. even if it is a false positive. The driver retains full control over the car, and could override the braking by simply applying some pedal on the gas.... as already noted. As such.. there is no error to log only a false positive and an owner not fully informed about how HondaSensing works and does not work. An owner can also modify or turn off many of the safety systems as well if they find them annoying... I personally would not.. I'd rather have an occasional false positive then miss something completely and end up in an accident as a result.

You clearly missed this post on this very page:

Per the Owner's Manual, pressing the gas pedal lightly will override cruise control braking. And CMBS braking can be overridden by deeply pressing the gas pedal.

Please do not lecture me on what I can or cannot post. Thanks. You are new here.. maybe settle in and get to know the forum a bit more before diving in and making demand statements like you did above (post #23). :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
The fact that the vehicle did not log an error or hazard specifically indicates that the system was working as intended.
That is patently false. The system malfunctioned but logged no information which the dealer could use to troubleshoot. That is clear from their requirement by the dealer to reproduce the issue before addressing it. Pay attention before replying.

What does not add up is that you did not take the time to actually read the discussion, nor take time to understand how HondaSensing works and does not work.
I do not have to understand how Honda's system works, as I did not intend to make and did not make any statements as regards to Honda. Pay attention before replying, as I did not mention Honda or any specific drive assist system.

The driver retains full control over the car, and could override the braking by simply applying some pedal on the gas
That is patently false, as emergency braking experienced by the victims of Honda's (yes, this time I am speaking of Honda specifically) brake assist do not have time to respond in the split second it takes the system to activate brakes. And the expectation that an unsuspecting driver who is on a road with little traffic in otherwise perfect driving conditions, would be able to react properly in a split second, is extremely unreasonable. Also, if the system is already malfunctioning, its overriding feature might be disabled by way of that malfunction. You are assuming that the override works where it might not be due to the malfunction which is already occurring. As of lately Honda started making highly unreasonable demands of drivers (yes, these are demands, according to you), such as to be able to instantly override the malfunctioning system, or to put up with 1 quart per 1000 miles oil consumption.

I totally get it that you might have to reply to me in a certain way due to your job's requirements or due to being emphatic to Honda vehicles which I happened to criticize, but you only remain credible if your replies are factual. They are not.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I've said it before.
All automated systems need 3 separate systems by different companies, with 2 of the 3 saying it is an emergency do something like steer or brake. One system is not a good idea - too many false hits.
We had 5 systems on the space shuttle and 3 of the five had to say do it.
3 on a car is not asking too much - the average car computer cost is less than $100 to the manufacturer.

Until Congress mandates better - we will have lots of falses. Some causing accidents - probably as many as it prevents. I know of 5 on Interstate 44 in my county, all false braking causing rear end accidents.

Drivers don't pay enough attention to the road - maybe disabling all cell phone in motion would prevent accidents, I know of geofencing software that could do that. It is rather easy to determine that the phone is moving faster than 5 miles per hour and have the cell towers ignore all but 911 calls.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts

I totally get it that you might have to reply to me in a certain way due to your job's requirements or due to being emphatic to Honda vehicles which I happened to criticize, but you only remain credible if your replies are factual. They are not.

I strongly urge you to NOT BUY any vehicle with driver safety systems in them then.. because you will be disappointed, bent, and attacking others when it does anything you do not like.

As for the ad hominem attack directed at me here.... Bye

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I've said it before.
All automated systems need 3 separate systems by different companies, with 2 of the 3 saying it is an emergency do something like steer or brake. One system is not a good idea - too many false hits.
We had 5 systems on the space shuttle and 3 of the five had to say do it.
3 on a car is not asking too much - the average car computer cost is less than $100 to the manufacturer.

Until Congress mandates better - we will have lots of falses. Some causing accidents - probably as many as it prevents. I know of 5 on Interstate 44 in my county, all false braking causing rear end accidents.

Drivers don't pay enough attention to the road - maybe disabling all cell phone in motion would prevent accidents, I know of geofencing software that could do that. It is rather easy to determine that the phone is moving faster than 5 miles per hour and have the cell towers ignore all but 911 calls.
I agree with you that cell phones need to be interdicted when the vehicle is in motion.. but that is unlikely to happen in a world where some people literally cannot breath multiple breaths without accessing their phone. Hence.. car manufacturers are focused on smart consoles, coupled controls to the steering wheel, etc. that are designed to keep drivers focused more on driving and less on phone-fiddling (Apple Carplay integrtion being one example). In addition.. a range of features and settings and buttons are not usable when the Honda is in motion (they are disabled, until the vehicle stops).

Context is important here. We are not talking about autonomous driving systems here... only safety sensing systems... and the one that scares some people is CMBS... and a driver paying attention has complete control to over ride CMBS.. as others have already stated. CMBS.. by the way uses multiple systems and sensors to control when and how it reacts... which somewhat undercuts your criticism of lack of redundancy.

There have a been a number of reports of surprised or scared drivers with respect to HondaSensing as well as other car makers driver safety packages.... but no actual accidents directly attributed to it as a result (note: I am not saying it could not happen... only that there are no open cases with NHTSA about it to date).

Even your alleged local cases.... absent actual specifics... mean nothing as the very same things happens regularly on freeways in large cities every day... with vehicles without safety systems in them. A driver sees something ahead, over reacts, slams on the breaks, and the driver behind them IS responsible for seeing and reacting to slammed brakes by a driver in front of them and avoiding collision. Sometimes... usually because cars are following too closely...things go badly for everyone and a collision results.. in the hand of drivers absent safety systems. Yet a Honda with HondaSensing and ACC active with safe distance intervals selected... would apply CMBS and react faster then some drivers and avoid an accident.

The biggest issues with systems like HondaSensing is 1) false sense of security in some drivers minds, thinking the car can and will do more then it actually can. 2) drivers who have all the features active, but do not actually know what they do, when, or how to over-ride them while being in control of a moving vehicle. 3) a driver freaking out over a false positive event, which in reality is no different then a driver freaking out over any unexpected event on the road while driving.

At the end of the day... every driver must remain in full control of their vehicle at all times, including when safety systems go active (falsely or accurately) which is why these systems can be immediately over-ridden by the driver if needed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I opened a case (incident report) with American Honda today. Explained my incident (above) and they say they will monitor for other incidents. Their number is 1-800-999-1009.
Good luck I wrote them a certified letter said they will do nothing even though the car keeps on breaking and nothing's in front of it.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts