Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this week I was going to but a new Nissan Murano SV because it was presented as having auto backup hazzard braking. The rpice was $27K out the door. That seemed like a really good deal considering it had that as well as other safety features.

For some reason the morning I was going to go buy it, I looked on Nissan's site to verify exactly what it came with. Turns out it did not come wit rear hazard braking. To actually get that required getting the top model and an option package. That drove the price $8-10K higher.The salesmen at the Nissan dealer had out and out lied to me that it was included.

I really wanted the auto reverse braking so I searched other brands that have that feature. It's the same for all of them as far as I can tell. You have to get the top trim package as well as an option package, driving the price way up.

The advertising for safety features for most/all manufacturers and dealers is a bit misleading, in that it's hard to tell exactly what is and isn't included in the safety packages.

So anyway, I'm back to my original choice before I became aware these was such a thing as hazard braking, a CR-V EX.I know it doesn't have hazard braking but Honda Sensing seems feature rich otherwise.I'm ready to buy one, but I want to verify what is and isn't included with Honda Sensing for the EX model. I don't trust the salespersons to give me an honest answer, so I thought I'd ask you guys.

TIA

·
Registered
192 Posts
That's what I would have said a week ago. Somehow I stumbled upon it. Here's Subaru.

Wait up, in the demo video this idiotic feature 'saves' the cars bumper from hitting a stationary VESPA? WTF? The driver isn't looking through their rear view window where this is clearly visible? Or using their mirrors? Or the backup camera? So, the cars computers save this dangerous idiot?

This is a terrible use of technology to cover for the kind of dangerously incompetent driver who clearly needs to be taken off the road entirely.

FWIW - no, the CRV doesn't have this. But it does have the similarly idiotic "Don't Broil Your Baby" alert for people who forget they have an infant in the backseat of a car on a hot day and leave them in the car to roast up.

·
Registered
116 Posts
To answer your question, Honda Sensing on the CR-V includes full-speed adaptive cruise control, road departure mitigation, lane keep assist, forward collision warning, and collision mitigation braking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
To answer your question, Honda Sensing on the CR-V includes full-speed adaptive cruise control, road departure mitigation, lane keep assist, forward collision warning, and collision mitigation braking.
And on the 19 I just recently bought, rear cross traffic alert. However, I’m not certain if it’s part of Honda Sensing but it’s there in the trim level along with blind spot monitoring alert.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,905 Posts
And on the 19 I just recently bought, rear cross traffic alert. However, I’m not certain if it’s part of Honda Sensing but it’s there in the trim level along with blind spot monitoring alert.
This is a very nice feature for the driver, and has saved me from a couple of possible parking lot fender benders, due to other drivers being aggressive or just plain wreckless (like texting while parking).

That said.. it also can fail to detect something..... particularly a pedestrian... and it could struggle with an eratic driver in another vehicle and not warn you soon enough.... so we as drivers still need to be aware of our surroundings and use our mirrors AND necks. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I ended up with a red EX. I like it quite a lot. Nice car for the money.

I've been learning what Honda Sensing will and will not do.
Haven't played with cruise control much because it's something I normally don't use. Pretty cool how it works though!
Sensing will steer you back in your lane, but not until after you're slightly in the next lane. That seems a bit late for it to activate.
I haven't been able to get the right turn signal warning to work. Left works great. Not sure what the deal is there.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Thanks. I ended up with a red EX. I like it quite a lot. Nice car for the money.

I've been learning what Honda Sensing will and will not do.
Haven't played with cruise control much because it's something I normally don't use. Pretty cool how it works though!
Sensing will steer you back in your lane, but not until after you're slightly in the next lane. That seems a bit late for it to activate.
I haven't been able to get the right turn signal warning to work. Left works great. Not sure what the deal is there.
Congrats on your choice. :)

The adaptive cruise control system is the best feature in Honda Sensing in my view. It makes long drives really easy and removes a lot of the tediousness of constantly having to be alert to traffic in front of you.

Lane Keeping Assist in Honda Sensing.. I don't use it, mainly because I feel it meanders around in the lane a bit too much (I want my vehicle centered in my lane, because sometimes other drivers are wandering to the edge of their lane).

For the turn signal traffic alerts.. check the settings via the infotainment system (your owners manual can instruct you how to do this). I found that my wifes Accord had it's right hand one turned off when we took delivery.. but that was simple to change.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. That must be the problem. I'll try to turn it on this evening.

Yes Lane Keeping Assist isn't very useful. I've had fun playing with it though. The drivers behind me must think I'm drunk.

And I'll have to try and remember to use adaptive cruise control.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
williamsji, I don't recall what it's called, but believe you're referring to the passenger side camera, which my car doesn't have. I was referring to the warning light in the mirror and the buzzer. That I learned is called Blind Spot Information System (BSI).

It was turned on. I watched this video and it appears it only works in a small envelope. I don't think I tried it when a car was in the envelope because I didn't want to alarm anyone by indicating I was about to turn into them.

Here's a video of it:

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
williamsji, I don't recall what it's called, but believe you're referring to the passenger side camera, which my car doesn't have. I was referring to the warning light in the mirror and the buzzer. That I learned is called Blind Spot Information System (BSI).

It was turned on. I watched this video and it appears it only works in a small envelope. I don't think I tried it when a car was in the envelope because I didn't want to alarm anyone by indicating I was about to turn into them.

Here's a video of it:

No, I was indeed refering to the BSI indicators. :)

In my experience, though the operating range is limited, it does in fact operate more conservatively then I typically drive, particularly right side lane changes..... so I think it is tuned about right. I do like it because it mitigates the issue of someone getting into your blind spot between where your rear view mirror and your side mirrors are set to. I find the adjustment range on the right side mirror to be just a bit too limited for my use.. so BSI is a definite plus.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I couldn't find any way to turn on/off the passenger side.The camera you dan, so that's why I thought you might be referring to it. I'm slowly figuring everything out on the car. I believe it's working correctly. It was just operator error. Although I've yet to hear it beep. The indicator in the mirror is working properly.

The lane departure is - I guess better than nothing. But not by much. The other day it was allowing my car to drift a good 2 feet over the line before it would correct and pull me back into my lane. I don't know why it would, but it seems it's getting worse. I don't think it was initially drifting that far.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts