Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am sorta new to this forum.
Had a 2007 CR-V until 2014 went to the dark side for three years now back to a Honda with a 2017 CR-V.

My question is about needed maintenance VS high pressure service advisers trying to use scare tactics to sell what I deem as unnecessary service.
The Honda has around 21k mileage.
During my last oil change and tire rotation, I was getting pressure over the phone that my Honda needed to have the fuel injectors cleaned.

When i questioned the reasoning for the service the Tech stated that Honda engines don't do a good job at keeping the engines fuel injectors cleaned.

I was also told that I needed an alignment and that you should get your Honda aligned every oil change?

I did not buy into his advice and I am skeptical to what he was trying to sell me.
Has anyone else experienced this or is what the service adviser telling me true?
I cannot find the service items he suggested in my owners manual.
Thanks for all replies!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Go on the Honda website and you can find the Honda recommended maintenance and mileage at which they should be done. The dealership is full of crap about an alignment every oil change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Run a can of Techron or Sea Foam in your gas tank to 'clean' those injectors. Or, you could just give it an 'Italian tune-up' and run it up to red line a couple times, should do the trick too.

An alignment every oil change....sheesh, what a way to gain an ugly rep in the repair business.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,782 Posts
Here are my thoughts:

Honda has engineers with far better understanding of vehicles than any "service advisor " will ever have.
Trust your maintenance minder to tell you what your car needs and when.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you use tier 1 gas your fuel injector should be fine. Dump a can of Techron in the fuel tank every oil change as a precaution. You really don’t need an alignment unless you constantly hitting potholes or see some unusual wear in your tires.
Also since the newer Honda are direct injection, I would worry about carbon build up on the back side of the intake valves which will lead to engine misfire. 30-60k is the recommended interval to have the intake valve clean. If you do a lot of stop and go I would get the intake valve clean every 30k and mainly hwy 60k.
Walnut blast would be the ideal method of cleaning the back side of the valve or seafoam+mechanical method of scraping the carbon off the intake valve.

·
Not-a-Mechanic
2011 CR-V 4WD EX
483 Posts
Yes, they were putting on the hard sell. Hopefully you live in an area where there is more thane one dealer. The dealership is actually 2 completely different businesses under one roof (3 if you count financing), no reason to go where you bought it. The repair business generates more income than the sales department and they're far from equal.
This is why we love our Hondas, just do the recommended maintenance, your maintenance minder (mm) will let you know, and they last a real long time.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Stay with mainenance minder. I do change air and pollen filters about 15000 miles. That's earlier than the MM, but I feel is needed around here.
My dealer provides free oil and filter changes for as long as I own the car. They change the oil filter every oil change.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
The MM doesnt always mean things need to be changed, depending on where you live and conditions can last longer or shorter intervals.

Stuff like filters should be checked every oil change.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
The MM doesnt always mean things need to be changed, depending on where you live and conditions can last longer or shorter intervals.

Stuff like filters should be checked every oil change.
X2

Big difference between CHECKING and REPLACING filters.

For example, I inspect my cabin filter after pollen season is over in the spring. I vacuum out the big debris and reinstall.
On my daughter's Fit, I DO change the filter every year (she drives a lot more miles and has allergies).

Point being, that conditions can vary.

++++++

One difficulty is, if you 'pass' on a MM service then reset the reminders, you need to check those services the old fashioned way (by time or mileage). So, even though I feel that the MM works well for oil life, we don't go by it for other services.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies unfortunately we purchased a Maintenance pkg. that can only be used at that dealership.
I will just have to put up with there nonsense until the pkg expires or i use it up.
I am glad I rejoined this forum so I could get knowledge from people whom i have never met but trust more than a pushy service department!

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
...unfortunately we purchased a Maintenance pkg. that can only be used at that dealership.
I will just have to put up with there nonsense until the pkg expires or i use it up.
So your 'package' includes Maintenance Minder services at no extra charge?

Are the injector cleaning services and alignments covered?

If not, they are trying to 'pad' your bills by selling you those un-needed things. <CROOKED>

If they ARE included, perhaps they will be reimbursed by the warranty company if you authorize them. <ALSO CROOKED>

I wouldn't authorize anything that is in beyond what Honda recommends in the manual. (At least without asking here first, LOL)

·
Not-a-Mechanic
2011 CR-V 4WD EX
483 Posts
As usual Buff is right on point. Dealer is just another business trying to bring in cash, don't be distracted.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Agree with Carbuff2. I've overheard others accepting those Addtional Dealer Recommendation. Hundreds of dollars. I just say no, I'm staying with the MM and my prior dealer doesn't push it. I changed dealers because of the no-haggle prices. I like not having any addons and paying less than mfg suggested.
The only thing I do more frequently that the MM is changing filters. My current dealer changes filters and every oil change (oil and filter changes are free). I will change air and pollen filters every 15000 miles (recommended in owners manual for high contaminates areas, here it's pollen)

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
You absolutely do not have to put up with those kinds of extortion sales tactics. Next time you go, just tell the service writer up front, that you came for the maintenance included in the plan you paid for only, and there will be nothing else, and that you insist he not bother trying again. Personally I would never ever go to a dealership for anything other than warranty work or recalls. Where in Texas are you? If you're in Austin, I can hook you up with the best mechanic in town. He's honest, can do anything a dealership can (except the warranty/recall stuff), and is an actual real mechanic, as opposed to dealerships, which do not have mechanics, they have parts replacers. He maintains and repairs my vehicles nicely, and has for years. Not one mistake, or problem, ever. He always answers any questions thoroughly, gives me all possible options, and does exactly what is needed. He charges me less for an oil change than a dealer does, too. You might be able to get your money back on that package. Wherever you are, you'll be much better off finding a good mechanic/shop and avoiding dealerships like the plague.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
Next time you go, just tell the service writer up front, that you came for the maintenance included in the plan you paid for only, and there will be nothing else, and that you insist he not bother trying again.
Consider that often the dealer technicians are encouraged to 'find' needed maintenance. Things that owners often forget (like the brake fluid flush, recommended every three years). (You can't be too harsh on a tech that is only doing his job. :angel2: )

Besides, the dealer recommendations are also a good laugh for me. One time, they helpfully recommended that I replace my wiper blades...that I had renewed just three weeks before! :Darn: :snork:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts