Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda CR-V EX-L Lunar Silver
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a not exemplary experience with my first Honda service "A-1". This is to be an oil change and a tire rotation and free inspection. This cost $86. I'm not use to the high cost, but I paid up thinking I was getting Honda service and products. When I got home I noticed that they put in Pennzoil full synthetic, not the Honda oil required by the owner's manual. I called and learned that they put in Pennzoil because Honda has "approved" Pennzoil full synthetic for use in Honda's.

Second, attached to my bill was their "standard maintenance" schedule. This is the schedule that my 2000 Honda Accord followed. The 2018 CRV has a much different maintenance schedule, per the owner's manual.
CRV Maintenance costs001.jpg

Next, please notice the price for the "pollen filter" replacement. $54.95 is a bit much for a 5-minute job.

One question...would it be in my best interest to change the oil again, this time using official Honda oil? Or is it true that Honda agrees that Pennzoil meets all of Honda's oil standards?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Your picture is too small to read, but I always refuse the filters. As you mentioned, it's a 5 minute job. Plus, the filters are cheap. As far as the oil goes, you'll be fine. As long as they use a quality synthetic. Most dealers use bulk oil.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,920 Posts
You’re fine using any API certified oil as per your manual. I use Valvoline full synthetic in my V. I refuse to go to Autonation Corpus Christi for any service because their prices are outrageous. I do all my own service. You should check out North Corpus Christi Honda and see if the prices are better. As for the maintenance schedule they gave you....well that’s them trying to make more money. Read your owners manual and it will tell you to just follow the MM. I do a lot of stuff early on my V, but again, I also do my own maintenance.

·
Registered
146 Posts
There are reasons they call them the "Stealer." Stealer prices and Stealer proceedures.

Did they at least give you a kiss?...how about some fore-play?

Start looking for a good mech in your area. Try Angies list or word of the mouth.

There is nothing wrong w/your oil. Honda only sells re-packaged oil...or oil packaged according to their specs (in "their" bottle). Pennzoil is considered to be good oil, if not in the top-5 of oils.

I'd say follow your manual...can't hardly go wrong. But, it is possible that they would change their recommendations based on experience...which a standard maintenance schedule is not. IT is just a close estimate. IMO...it doesn't matter. For example, if your manual says change the differential or trans oil at 25K and your new rec is 35K....who cares, you are driving a Honda (which is known for reliability). My gut-feeling is that the manual is correct.

·
Not-a-Mechanic
2011 CR-V 4WD EX
483 Posts
Each dealer is it's own little kingdom. The sales and service departments are totally separate. The service department makes most of the profit.
Bottom line is each dealership is different. There is no reason to go back where you bought it.
If you find yourself dancing with a bunch of clowns, try a different dealer.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,920 Posts
There is no reason to go back where you bought it.
If you find yourself dancing with a bunch of clowns, try a different dealer.
Where we live there has only been 1 Honda dealership within an 1.5 hour drive up until a couple months ago. We live in Ford/Chevy country.

·
Registered
154 Posts
All the previous posters are right. Honda specifies the API requirements and viscosity of the oil for you car, not the brand. Pennzoil is fine. At least your leader was honest enough to name the brand used. I would NOT follow the Maintenance Menu they gave you. All dealers have a similar document. I've seen the same sort of maintenance document from Nissan, Toyota, Ford and Chrysler. Not just Honda. It only has one purpose ... to generate more income for the dealership from doing more maintenance work above and beyond what manufacturers requires. Follow Honda's Maintenance Minder and you'll be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts