Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Car companies are eternally focused on capturing the all important "youth-market", some even going as far as to create "youth brands", like Toyota and their Scion line-up. Honda appears to be taking the opposite track with the launch of their new CR-Z hybrid sports car, hoping to take advantage of the demographic that was in their late teens to late 20's between 1983 and 1991, when they CRX was, "the ultimate tuner vehicle", said John Mendel, Honda's Executive Vice-Preisdent for Automobile Sales. Mendel, who is 55 said that market research showed that the CR-Z was a hit with "young people and guys my age, because it's reminiscent of the CR-X."

Honda's discontinued products, such as previous generation Civics, Preludes Acura Integras and NSXs still command a huge following, even from consumers who weren't born when the products were introduced. Honda is hoping to reach the younger generation of automotive enthusiasts through online media and social networking sites. Mendel said that Honda was also looking into sponsoring concerts that had multi-generational appeal.

More: Honda Tries Novel Approach With CR-Z, Targeting Older Enthusiasts on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
431 Posts
So its basically a new version of the CRX but hybrid? I'm pretty sure the older crowd is going to want something a little nicer and will have the money to afford something nicer. This is a vehicle that should be targeted at 18 to about 26. And it should be RWD but that'll never happen.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Time will tell. I'm not in love with it. Saw one yesterday and it looked totally bloated (there's no way around putting in thicker steel these days for safety). But, at least in Japan it's selling like hotcakes.

I think the problem is this. Honda asked enthusiasts what they wanted, and of course they replied about what they didn't like about the S2000. "We want a fixed roof, better fuel economy" etc. They didn't ask them what the already loved: "Power, convertible top, RWD." And so now they have an underpowered FWD car with only two seats which doesn't get very good fuel economy anyway. Aw shucks.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Actually just saw a commercial for the CR-Z for the first time yesterday during to football games. No way in hell this is targeted at guys in their 30s/40s. That and just seeing it = no go for anyone with the money for something nicer. Most older guys with money who were into the whole import tuner thing when they were younger are probably going to go with the Nissan/Infiniti 370/G37. Or they'll get an older Civic and actually build it up right this time. Or they'll just buy a Corvette/Shelby and garage it 300 days a year because they realize that having something with 400+ factory WHP with a warranty that you don't have to do a damn thing to is pretty sweet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What was Honda thinking?

CR-Z can get 39/35 MPG at best with 122 HP.
The Fusion Hybrid makes 41/36 with 156 HP.
The (non-hybrid) Fiesta makes 40/29 with 120 HP. It has 4 doors.

The CR-Z is not sporty and has disappointing fuel economy for a Hybrid. It's also more expensive because of the hybrid powertrain.

·
Registered
15 Posts
They are also trying to get someone who really likes Iron Maiden to love a minivan. You know the 40 something dude whom has never been married nor has any kids and still follows Iron Maiden around.............LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
what a joke... i'm 54 yrs young and driving an 08 S2000 :)

I took the CRX out for a test ride and had a good laugh.. Honda your going in the wrong direction... bring out an S3000 and i'll be a happy camper !

·
Registered
431 Posts
Nope, Honda needs to do something like a Nissan 370Z. Rwd, 300+hp V6 or maybe even go all out with a Honda V8? Doubt that would ever happen and Honda isn't known as a performance brand but it isn't like they don't know how to make a holy $hit powerful motor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.