Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,

I need to hear opinions about what coolant to use in my 2nd Gen CRV.

The first option as per the information that I have read is to apply OEM Honda Type 2 Coolant, but it is difficult to get that here in Guatemala, and, if available, it is very expensive.
1620074934848.png

The second option is to use a non OEM coolant like Zerex Asian, but the Valvoline distributor just confirmed that they do not import the Zerex Asian Blue.

Do you have any advise on what coolant to use as an alternative?

We are able to get Prestone Blue over here, but personally I do not trust Prestone coolants and I will always prefer any Valvoline option over any other... Valvoline is the one that I have used for years in my previous vehicle with great results.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
5,015 Posts
This, in my view, is a case where Honda compliant or certified coolant is a "must have".

Bite the bullet and find and use Honda approved coolant only, would be my view on this. Honda approved coolant does not have to be Honda OEM.. but it does have to be Honda spec compliant or you risk issues in the future. So, regardless of brand, it needs to specifically state that it is formulated specifically for Hondas and Acuras.

I have no knowledge about the different brands, but I am sure others do and will comment when they see your thread.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sure thing!

I know I have to search for a P-HOAT silicate-free coolant, but the Zerex Asian Variant is a pink colored one

Its very difficult to take a decision when there are not so many choices...

I will keep searching the local market to see if there are any other options available...

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,932 Posts
I'm sure you looked at Valvoline's description of their Asian coolant (which in the USA, is available in 3 different 'colors').
Valvoline™ ZEREX™ Asian Vehicle has been designed to meet the requirements of Asian manufacturers, which specify a silicate free HOAT formula with a phosphate additive to protect their cooling systems from rust and corrosion. Available in both red and blue formulas to better match your Asian vehicle’s specific requirements.

I BOLDED the important characteristics.

Does a different dye mean you can't use it in your Honda? (Perhaps, inquire to Valvoline)

I'd think that worst case, you would be obligated to change it several times within a short period, and after that replace it at a shorter interval (which Honda recommends with their coolant, anyway).

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,820 Posts
Good grief.....I knew things were bad but all these different coolant types and sub variations is nuts. Plus mixing types isn't healthy for the engine or the radiator.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,932 Posts
.I knew things were bad but all these different coolant types and sub variations is nuts.
You would prefer changing coolant every fall, as we did in the 'Stone Age' (last century)?:cautious:

The OAT and HOAT types do a GREAT job in reducing buildup and blockages in the radiator cooling passages. This is especially important with all the aluminum (aluminium? :giggle: ) used on today's cars.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,725 Posts
You would prefer changing coolant every fall, as we did in the 'Stone Age' (last century)?:cautious:

The OAT and HOAT types do a GREAT job in reducing buildup and blockages in the radiator cooling passages. This is especially important with all the aluminum (aluminium? :giggle: ) used on today's cars.
Potato or Potato?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Locally the Zerex Blue is only a dollar or so less than what I can buy genuine Honda coolant for.

Reactions: agentl074

·
Registered
177 Posts
@Chito if you were able to buy the Honda CRV model down there - wouldn't there be a Honda dealer that would have it? Why would they sell a CRV down there if there wasn't a Honda dealer to sell the coolant? I would think at least if they sell CRV there someone would carry the coolant.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Chito if you were able to buy the Honda CRV model down there - wouldn't there be a Honda dealer that would have it? Why would they sell a CRV down there if there wasn't a Honda dealer to sell the coolant? I would think at least if they sell CRV there someone would carry the coolant.
That is in the ideal World... What happens is that sometimes the dealer does not have enough stock and they take forever to re-stock products, as it has just happened to me with 5w20 synthetic oil that was out if stock for around 2 or 3 months... And in the other hand, there are some items that the dealer has a very high price for items like in this case...

I think it will be better to wait and try to save money meanwhile

·
Registered
836 Posts
The US and UK are better at keeping things in stock, but even some things like filters are taking awhile to truck in right now. My service dealer charges the same service price for Honda fluids as the OEM equivalent, so it's no problem. A coolant service drain and refill (radiator and block) with Honda antifreeze cost me $50.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The US and UK are better at keeping things in stock, but even some things like filters are taking awhile to truck in right now. My service dealer charges the same service price for Honda fluids as the OEM equivalent, so it's no problem. A coolant service drain and refill (radiator and block) with Honda antifreeze cost me $50.
Dealer charges around $55.00 just for the two gallons of coolant that are needed. I have not asked for the labor price :(

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,932 Posts
Dealer charges around $55.00 just for the two gallons of coolant that are needed. I have not asked for the labor price :(
It's just a simple drain and fill.

There is a petcock underneath, just left of center.

Reactions: fishycomics

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,075 Posts
If you think its expensive now, wait a few more days to week , b/c gas, b/c the demand, just because, its going to go up big time.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,932 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Prices:

Pre-mixed Type II (2 containers) would be ~ $46 USD even in the USA. And that is a DISCOUNT dealer. MSRP would be ~ $53...so your dealer isn't THAT bad.

On Amazon its $56 for two jugs, with free shipping....(Prime).
Ooooooh, I see... I was under the impression that it was cheaper in the US... Actually the Zerex Asian that I posted before and Prestone Blue that I am able to find here, are priced for around the half, $13 to $15 each gallon container.

Then, I will get to wait for the dealer to re-stock and buy it...

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,075 Posts
Import/export just figure out where to get the best price, for you.

·
Registered
836 Posts

That's why I don't go to the dealership lol. I have an independent tire and service dealer ;)When I had mine changed, they just got in a case of Honda Long Life antifreeze, so I lucked out. They never charge the customer for OEM parts -- which is nice. In fact, there is a US law that says that if a manufacturer requires a part/fluid, and there is no equivalent, the OEM must provide that part to the service center free of charge.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ooooooh, I see... I was under the impression that it was cheaper in the US... Actually the Zerex Asian that I posted before and Prestone Blue that I am able to find here, are priced for around the half, $13 to $15 each gallon container.

Then, I will get to wait for the dealer to re-stock and buy it...

That's how much I pay for a gal of Honda Blue from my local retailer not dealer that would break a arm/leg for that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts