Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,981 Posts
The way I figure it, since I do most of the work on our cars, the factory stuff is worth it. I never charge myself for labor.

And, our house-cat always is nearby, to monitor the quality of my work.. :giggle: .

Reactions: agentl074

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If you think its expensive now, wait a few more days to week , b/c gas, b/c the demand, just because, its going to go up big time.
Nooooooo!!! You´re going to make me cry!!!! :cry: Hopefully price does not rise when I finally purchase it.

Import/export just figure out where to get the best price, for you.
For some things like the FOB and the ATF inline filter, it goes better importing the items from the US. For the other stuff that I bought, it is better to purchase it locally.

That's why I don't go to the dealership lol. I have an independent tire and service dealer ;)When I had mine changed, they just got in a case of Honda Long Life antifreeze, so I lucked out. They never charge the customer for OEM parts -- which is nice. In fact, there is a US law that says that if a manufacturer requires a part/fluid, and there is no equivalent, the OEM must provide that part to the service center free of charge.
Good luck that you have that kind of laws over there... just gonna say that we don´t :cry:

On my previous car (2002 Protege), I always used Chevron Supreme 10w30 for the engine with Wix Filter and I have always used Valvoline regular DexIII ATF. I have also used Valvoline coolant as well... Long love story with Valvoline :LOL:

That's how much I pay for a gal of Honda Blue from my local retailer not dealer that would break a arm/leg for that.
Wow!!!! $15 or less for a gallon of Blue Honda???:eek:

The way I figure it, since I do most of the work on our cars, the factory stuff is worth it. I never charge myself for labor.

And, our house-cat always is nearby, to monitor the quality of my work.. :giggle: .
Cat is a secret auditor, but it doesn´t know that now you know, but shhhhhhh! I´ll keep the secret ;)

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,981 Posts
Why no Prestone if I may ask?
Prestone is a different formula (suitable for brass radiators). You could use it ("all makes - all models") but would require a total flush. Only THEN will it 'last 5 years' as it says on the bottle. Bigger hassle (and cost).

Look at the Fish's video in Post 14. The brown appearance of Honda Type II and Prestone is what you get when you mix.

When I realized that he showed the Prestone in his video, I deleted the link, but I was too late to stop the reference in the quote.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good info, thanks!
Prestone manufactures another type under a Label name called "prime guard" if I am not mistaken? I believe that one is suitable for various OEM applications.
I personally used Glysantine...

Sent from my BBD100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 EX-L with Navi.
52 Posts

·
Registered
08 CR-V EXL 334K and counting!
7 Posts
Dealer charges around $55.00 just for the two gallons of coolant that are needed. I have not asked for the labor price :(

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
Prices:

Pre-mixed Type II (2 containers) would be ~ $46 USD even in the USA. And that is a DISCOUNT dealer. MSRP would be ~ $53...so your dealer isn't THAT bad.

On Amazon its $56 for two jugs, with free shipping....(Prime).
Exactly what I was going to post, ~$20 a gallon is about the least you’ll get it for regardless, so $55 for 2 gal isn’t that bad.

·
Registered
855 Posts
My shop buys it by the case, so that's why they only charge $50 for the service. I'd say that's a pretty good deal based on what I've seen. I don't think most people would feel the need to buy a case -- just for the savings that would never justify the initial cost lol.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts