Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Very interesting find... :)

Could be because if one googles "Honda 1.5 Turbo" the first hit is "Troubles Plague Honda CR-V 1.5-Liter Turbocharged Engine".
Other than Honda's own sites the rest of the first page is full of "issues" with the engine. Real or not that is what shows up and IMO Honda needs to address this public relations concern far better than it has.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I found it interesting. 2018 on the top, 2019 on the bottom.
View attachment 126971

View attachment 126969
When your lawyers and marketing department are making the decisions you know that you are in BIG, BIG trouble. It's time for Honda to start treating their customers with the respect they deserve before they start losing them forever… including me.

·
Registered
240 Posts
This would seem to be an unfortunate insight into their mindset. Deny. Deny. Deny. Much like everyone else in the public eye nowadays.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Bet next, Honda will call the engine the 91 CID rather than the 1.5L or 190 HP (hint - the engine really is 91 Cubic Inch Displacement)

I wonder how many would buy it if it were marketed at a 91 CID engine - most of us older folks want 350/351 CID (5.7L) engines in our cars.

The 1972 Ford 250 CID (4.1L for comparison) only had 88 HP (Yes, I owned a brand new 1974 Ford Maverick with that same engine averaged 13 MPG in town 19 MPG on the highway - my numbers not EPA)

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,070 Posts
Proving once again that Americans cannot be trusted (tongue in cheek ) to use the internet wisely, the Canadians do get a 1.5turbo engine.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I doubt that you could find .01% of possible new CRV buyers that walk into a dealership even have a clue about the 1.5T engine. What you will more likely find are people that just know that the new CR-V has had engine issue complaints.

My thinking is the same as it was on day one when the salesman told me that the vehicle had a 1.5L engine in it. I laughed and was ready to walk away. When he said it had 190HP I then started to pay attention.

My theory is that Honda's thinking going into 2019 is geared towards going up against a RAV4 that can actually compete. They would rather emphasize the HP so that it looks very close to the RAV4's HP. Most SUV buyers do not go around looking up the details of vehicles on the internet but if they are doing research then changing the Website or Brochure is not going to hide anything either way.

If you walk in to a dealership you either know about the dilution complaints with some of the vehicles or you don't. Either way stating the engine size does nothing but Hurt Honda if people are shopping around. Stating the HP helps Honda and makes the CR-V more competitive.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,070 Posts
Most people don't know about CVT. It's just an automatic to them...

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
There is something I don't see mentioned here. Honda doesn't hold back on horsepower? Really? The previous model's 2.4L was rated at 185hp. Based on that, it appears to me like they are hyping the heck out of 5hp. I'm sorry, but 5hp is barely even worth mentioning. Not only that, but a huge risk factor is incorporated to achieve it, namely the turbo. This is a poor engineering choice, period. Not once has any mass-produced production engine that is not naturally aspirated ever been shown to go the distance. It might be fun in a rice racer, but in a production car sold to the general public? Nope. Bad idea all the way around.

By not only using a turbo, but also including such unproven and still experimental-to-date new things like direct injection (which is proving to be a mistake in every iteration by every carmaker so far), and the CVT (same issue), they are throwing their best thing completely out the window - reliability. It is already costing them big time in market share, and unless they do something pretty drastic, pretty soon, they are putting their top models in jeopardy in a way that is going to be hard to come back from.

The truth is, no one with any common sense or any mechanical aptitude would be suckered into such snake oil schemes. So it makes me worry just that much more that the drop in common sense in recent years is much more drastic than I thought. That is a very sad thing, and does not speak well for the future. You can call that an opinion if you want to, but I just call it an observation. Why? Because it is proving itself right now, as we speak. Other carmakers who have gone down this road have already pretty much fallen by the wayside. I'd hate to see this happen to Honda, but I very much fear it will if they continue choosing to be in denial about it, and keep expecting refinement to fix things with fundamental flaws. I might could see this happening with the CVT, but not the turbo and absolutely not with direct injection, which seriously needs to be scrapped. It might work on paper, but it is not working at all in the field, at all, anywhere, for any carmaker. IMO they are playing with fire, and the consequences are going to be high.

That may seem to some of you like an extremist view. Maybe it is. But you won't catch me buying any of this tripe. AFAIAC Honda is drilling more holes in the bottom of their boat every day, and a storm is coming. I love my '07 CR-V and am very happy with it. But if you offered to trade me a new one free, I'd pass. I'm not calling anybody names, though, so please don't take offense if you are the owner of a new one. I just have my own ideas about it all, and since I don't drive a new one, I can afford that luxury, while you cannot. I know there are plenty who are having no issues, and plenty who are. I wish only the best possible outcome for all. But I will stay right where I'm at, thank you very much.

·
Registered
139 Posts
There is something I don't see mentioned here. Honda doesn't hold back on horsepower? Really? The previous model's 2.4L was rated at 185hp. Based on that, it appears to me like they are hyping the heck out of 5hp. I'm sorry, but 5hp is barely even worth mentioning. Not only that, but a huge risk factor is incorporated to achieve it, namely the turbo. This is a poor engineering choice, period. Not once has any mass-produced production engine that is not naturally aspirated ever been shown to go the distance. It might be fun in a rice racer, but in a production car sold to the general public? Nope. Bad idea all the way around.

By not only using a turbo, but also including such unproven and still experimental-to-date new things like direct injection (which is proving to be a mistake in every iteration by every carmaker so far), and the CVT (same issue), they are throwing their best thing completely out the window - reliability. It is already costing them big time in market share, and unless they do something pretty drastic, pretty soon, they are putting their top models in jeopardy in a way that is going to be hard to come back from.

The truth is, no one with any common sense or any mechanical aptitude would be suckered into such snake oil schemes. So it makes me worry just that much more that the drop in common sense in recent years is much more drastic than I thought. That is a very sad thing, and does not speak well for the future. You can call that an opinion if you want to, but I just call it an observation. Why? Because it is proving itself right now, as we speak. Other carmakers who have gone down this road have already pretty much fallen by the wayside. I'd hate to see this happen to Honda, but I very much fear it will if they continue choosing to be in denial about it, and keep expecting refinement to fix things with fundamental flaws. I might could see this happening with the CVT, but not the turbo and absolutely not with direct injection, which seriously needs to be scrapped. It might work on paper, but it is not working at all in the field, at all, anywhere, for any carmaker. IMO they are playing with fire, and the consequences are going to be high.

That may seem to some of you like an extremist view. Maybe it is. But you won't catch me buying any of this tripe. AFAIAC Honda is drilling more holes in the bottom of their boat every day, and a storm is coming. I love my '07 CR-V and am very happy with it. But if you offered to trade me a new one free, I'd pass. I'm not calling anybody names, though, so please don't take offense if you are the owner of a new one. I just have my own ideas about it all, and since I don't drive a new one, I can afford that luxury, while you cannot. I know there are plenty who are having no issues, and plenty who are. I wish only the best possible outcome for all. But I will stay right where I'm at, thank you very much.
You can thank President Obama for mandating ridiculous fuel economy guidelines that manufacturers have to abide by. Ridiculous "pie in the sky" numbers that are based on election polling numbers rather than science.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.