Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been on this website since I joined it right after we bought our new 2008 EXL CRV. Our 08 has given us 89k of trouble-free miles.
About last Dec. or Jan. I decided it was time to upgrade to a newer CRV. I was a little wary of this new CVT tranny, so I started to do a little research. Boy, was I surprised what I started to find and read. Many were unhappy, and worried -esp. those who had bought and noticed this low RPM rough idle. I decided to test for myself-went to my local Dealer in Jefferson City Mo (courteous, and friendly bunch). They were clueless about any of this idle issue-- sort of expected from dealer sales people.
Took a new (6miles) exl out for a test -- took about 5 minutes and complete stop on an empty road -car in gear and no AC --Car shook like a wet cold dog. The salesman with me agreed it was not good -- I said my used 08 -purred in comparison.
He said he would let management know of the "issue" --doubt he did!?
Checked in month or so later -- the sales and the service dept was still un-knowing of the issue. Called the Columbia Mo dealer and the sales dept there was just as clueless --the Svc. manager however said he had been told of the issue, and was hoping Honda would do "something soon.
2 months later same results -- move to now --Wife says -- no way to a new CRV -- with this problem.
We have had Hondas since 1990 -Acura integra --01 Accord EXL -- then our present 08 CRV. All of these have been my wifes (and our primary cars).

READ THIS HONDA-- YOU ARE LOSING A DEDICATED CUSTOMER OF 25 YEARS DUE TO THIS PROBLEM!!!

We are now shopping the alternatives.

Mark

·
Registered
381 Posts
That is very unfortunate. It seems that honda rushed out the new drivetrain in the15s. I suspect that's at least in part to the VTC rattle issue that my 14 (and older) crv accord and civics have that honda appears to not be able to fix.

To date honda has refused to address the vtc issue. In all likelihood I'm right there with you. This will be my last Honda. There response to both of these issues is deplorable. The vtc has been going on since 2008.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Find a good used '13 and you won't be disappointed!
Unless you live in a cold climate than chances are it will have the vtc issue many of us are having. With that said though, at the moment I'd rather have a vtc issue than a constant vibration. Although chances are higher the vibration issue would be fixed.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Unless you live in a cold climate than chances are it will have the vtc issue many of us are having. With that said though, at the moment I'd rather have a vtc issue than a constant vibration. Although chances are higher the vibration issue would be fixed.
So far I've been fortunate enough to only have that grinding noise happen twice and it was in the same day. Hopefully it doesn't come back.

·
Registered
381 Posts
For your sake i hope not. But i have the feeling that given enough time and mileage.... most will rattle. ...frequently i fear..... hope I'm wrong though.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
For your sake i hope not. But i have the feeling that given enough time and mileage.... most will rattle. ...frequently i fear..... hope I'm wrong though.
Yea I'm really hoping it doesn't come back. I've had the V since August of '13 and I'm fixing to hit 17,000 miles. I haven't had any issues with it at all except the 2 times it made the rattle noise. Are you having the VTC issue?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
It's looking better for you than for us with 17k so far and only rattled twice. I got mine in 8/13 also and it made the sound a couple of times that first winter so didn't think much of it. This past winter it was a daily event. We also have colder temps where I am so that may help you in terms of weather being a factor.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
It's looking better for you than for us with 17k so far and only rattled twice. I got mine in 8/13 also and it made the sound a couple of times that first winter so didn't think much of it. This past winter it was a daily event. We also have colder temps where I am so that may help you in terms of weather being a factor.
Where are you from? I bought mine in TX but last summer I got stationed in VA and it's a lot colder here than TX. I'm thinking that's probably why I finally experienced the problem. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that it goes away and when I'm due to transfer in 2017 hopefully I'll be heading back home to TX.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I'm in northern NJ and it was a very cold winter with many days/night in single digits to below zero so I expected it do it but not as much as it did since last winter was just as cold. Although we had a longer consecutive cold stretch this year.

Member Grumpypants who lives in Floridas has been getting it when it's been in the 50's so it's tough to gauge but normally when it's over 40 it would stop for me. I've since changed the oil to full synthetic and a better filter and that's helped quite a bit as it did for others here.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I guess I'm also lucky, my 12 has never made the noise. I am using the A01 filters and Honda ultimate full synthetic 0w-20 changed every 5K. A little under 17,000 miles now.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Let's take this (vtc rattle) discussion over to the thread on the vtc rattle so we don't hijack this thread worse than it already has been. Thanks guys.

PS your use of the a01 filter is a big reason your car has stayed quiet. Most dealers now use the a02 which is the Honeywell \fram junk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts