Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I posted in the Problems forum, my 2015 CR-V broke down with a flashing CEL, misfiring, and a loss of power on my way home from visiting my parents. Thankfully, I had HondaCare on my vehicle and had it towed back to my dad's dealer. They took about a week but returned it after replacing ignition coils and adjusting the valves (the latter at my expense since it is a "maintenance item"). Neither fixed the issue, as my dad immediately noticed my car was "bucking" and accelerating sluggishly.

He took it back to the dealer on December 18, who noticed the same conditions (despite nothing in the OBD indicating a problem). They determined misfiring was continuing and, after consulting with Honda, was told it was likely the cylinder head. They also noticed the fuel injectors in the same cylinder (and an adjacent one) had failed, and those would be replaced as well. We were told we would need to authorize $500 for teardown, as an inspector hired by Honda would have to approve the cylinder head replacement (the fee would only apply if the repair was rejected). To date, the car has sat at the dealership untouched.

We were told by the dealer that the inspector would come "next week" (but they did not know when). However, HondaCare tells me the dealer has not contacted them since December 21 and that they need the dealer to perform the teardown before they can dispatch an inspector. Meanwhile, the problem has persisted unresolved for over a month and my parents are on one car (I have my dad's car right now) and won't get a rental because HondaCare will only pay for up to 6 days once the repair has been approved.

Given this is my first use of HondaCare, is this experience typical? Is there anything else I should be doing to move this forward?

·
Registered
126 Posts
As I posted in the Problems forum, my 2015 CR-V broke down with a flashing CEL, misfiring, and a loss of power on my way home from visiting my parents. Thankfully, I had HondaCare on my vehicle and had it towed back to my dad's dealer. They took about a week but returned it after replacing ignition coils and adjusting the valves (the latter at my expense since it is a "maintenance item"). Neither fixed the issue, as my dad immediately noticed my car was "bucking" and accelerating sluggishly.

He took it back to the dealer on December 18, who noticed the same conditions (despite nothing in the OBD indicating a problem). They determined misfiring was continuing and, after consulting with Honda, was told it was likely the cylinder head. They also noticed the fuel injectors in the same cylinder (and an adjacent one) had failed, and those would be replaced as well. We were told we would need to authorize $500 for teardown, as an inspector hired by Honda would have to approve the cylinder head replacement (the fee would only apply if the repair was rejected). To date, the car has sat at the dealership untouched.

We were told by the dealer that the inspector would come "next week" (but they did not know when). However, HondaCare tells me the dealer has not contacted them since December 21 and that they need the dealer to perform the teardown before they can dispatch an inspector. Meanwhile, the problem has persisted unresolved for over a month and my parents are on one car (I have my dad's car right now) and won't get a rental because HondaCare will only pay for up to 6 days once the repair has been approved.

Given this is my first use of HondaCare, is this experience typical? Is there anything else I should be doing to move this forward?
It’s bad communication between the dealership and HondaCare. As a customer you really have to act as liaison between the dealership and HondaCare. The key is to be proactive. Keep calling them until they understood what each side need before they have proceed forward.

What CEL code did you get when the car was misfiring? How many miles in the car? I may be wrong, I though the newer 2.4l engine are maintenance free and doesn’t need valve adjustment as a maintenance requirement.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s bad communication between the dealership and HondaCare. As a customer you really have to act as liaison between the dealership and HondaCare. The key is to be proactive. Keep calling them until they understood what each side need before they have proceed forward.

What CEL code did you get when the car was misfiring? How many miles in the car? I may be wrong, I though the newer 2.4l engine are maintenance free and doesn’t need valve adjustment as a maintenance requirement.
I don't know what the specific CEL code was, but I was told it translated to a misfire in a specific cylinder. The car has 89,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't know what the specific CEL code was, but I was told it translated to a misfire in a specific cylinder. The car has 89,000 miles on it.
I would push for more information from them. You’re paying or HondaCare is paying for the work. They need to held accountable. I hated when shop do a hack job.
First thing they should have done with that mileage is replace all 4 spark plugs. Not sure if the plugs was ever replaced. Second, when you have a misfire specific to a certain cylinder, you would swap ignition coil from the misfire cylinder to the good cylinder (for ex...misfire at cylinder 1, swap ignition coil from cylinder 1 with cylinder 2). Reset the code, if the misfire moves to a different cylinder (for ex..misfire is now at cylinder 2). You have a bad ignition coil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts