Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my CRV (EX-L w/Nav) last Friday - without knowing anything about the oil dilution issue. Today I mentioned to my salesperson that had I known about the issue I would not have bought the CRV and am considering trading it in towards a Pilot or at a minimum purchasing an extended warranty (which I indicated I'd want deeply discounted).

My question is three-fold:
1) What do people here think about the HondaCare extended warranty?
2) What would be a good price for an extended warranty that would cover potential long-term issues arising from possible oil dilution engine wear?
3) In the unlikely event Honda decides to extend the warranty as part of the resolution - would a purchased extended warranty extend from the new expiration date - or run concurrently (and be redundant)?

All input appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just purchased my CRV (EX-L w/Nav) last Friday - without knowing anything about the oil dilution issue. Today I mentioned to my salesperson that had I known about the issue I would not have bought the CRV and am considering trading it in towards a Pilot or at a minimum purchasing an extended warranty (which I indicated I'd want deeply discounted).

My question is three-fold:
1) What do people here think about the HondaCare extended warranty?
2) What would be a good price for an extended warranty that would cover potential long-term issues arising from possible oil dilution engine wear?
3) In the unlikely event Honda decides to extend the warranty as part of the resolution - would a purchased extended warranty extend from the new expiration date - or run concurrently (and be redundant)?

All input appreciated.
I was in the same situation than you in last june.
I bought an extended warranty bumper to bumper for 8 years or 200 000km.
So I’m in peace. Trade the car is too expensive.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was in the same situation than you in last june.
I bought an extended warranty bumper to bumper for 8 years or 200 000km.
So I’m in peace. Trade the car is too expensive.
Thanks for the reply Lancelo! Did you buy a Honda extended warranty or a 3rd party? Also, do you mind me asking how much it was - and if the dealer gave you a discount due to the oil dilution issue? Based on your use of km versus miles I'm assuming you aren't in the U.S. - but the info still could be helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
541 Posts
You can get the Honda care 8 year 120,000 miles for around 1200 to 1300 dollars. Saccucci Honda and I believe College Hills Honda sell them online. I haven't heard of anyone getting a better deal because of the oil dilution issue yet but who knows. Do your research and try and get your dealer to match the price. Mine was almost twice as high until I showed them the comparison. Good question about any rebate if they offer an extended warranty at some point. Good luck.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can get the Honda care 8 year 120,000 miles for around 1200 to 1300 dollars. Saccucci Honda and I believe College Hills Honda sell them online. I haven't heard of anyone getting a better deal because of the oil dilution issue yet but who knows. Do your research and try and get your dealer to match the price. Mine was almost twice as high until I showed them the comparison. Good question about any rebate if they offer an extended warranty at some point. Good luck.
EXCELLENT! Thanks for the info! I just contacted Saccucci Honda and they directed me to their extended warranty website (www.saccuccihondacare.com). I completed the form and immediately received an email with all plan options and pricings. For my brand new 2018 CRV the $0 deductible, 96 month, 120,000 mile HondaCare plan is $1,170. This is substantially lower than what my local dealer tried to get me to pay during the purchase process. By the way the $100 deductible option was only $107 less.

I have also submitted a quote request with College Hills Honda - but haven't heard back yet.

Even without the oil dilution concerns, $1,170 for long-term coverage seems like a decent price for some peace of mind. Add in the oil dilution issue and for me this is definitely the best way to go. Of course, I realize that slow wear damage might not result in a mechanical failure until after 120,000 miles - but at least until then I am covered.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Even without the oil dilution concerns, $1,170 for long-term coverage seems like a decent price for some peace of mind. Add in the oil dilution issue and for me this is definitely the best way to go. Of course, I realize that slow wear damage might not result in a mechanical failure until after 120,000 miles - but at least until then I am covered.
I'm glad to hear that "The Problem" hasn't caused an increase in HondaCare rates.

The rate you were quoted $1,170.00 from Saccucci was the same back in early February 2017.
I should mention that:
Curry Honda was $1,155.00
Hyannis Honda was $1,100.00
College Hills Honda was $1,045.00[/SIZE]

·
Registered
8 Posts
I purchased my brand new 2018 Honda CRV AWD Touring from West Hills Honda in Bremerton, WA on the 16th October 2018 How long do you get to purchase the Honda extended warranty from the start or purchase date?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I purchased my brand new 2018 Honda CRV AWD Touring from West Hills Honda in Bremerton, WA on the 16th October 2018 How long do you get to purchase the Honda extended warranty from the start or purchase date?
I believe you have up to 5K before you can purchase the warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
963 Posts
There are 2 requirements:

1) Mileage must be less than 6,000 miles (this is self reported UNLESS you have had your CRV into a dealer and your mileage has been DOCUMENTED to be 6,000 or more)

2) You MUST purchase the warranty within six months and this WILL be verified by HondaCare (HC) via your car's VIN when HC looks up your sale date.

I purchased the extended warranty mostly for the head unit (HU) integration - had the recirculating air function get stuck on our '97 CRV after four years and the HondaCare warranty covered the $900 that it cost...I can't fathom how much a new HU would cost...

BTW I did purchase our HondaCare warranty on the last day of my six months, it took about 2 hours to receive the approval email. Purchased from Saccucci Honda. Excellent transaction.

Best of luck you you.

·
Registered
133 Posts
There are 2 requirements:

1) Mileage must be less than 6,000 miles (this is self reported UNLESS you have had your CRV into a dealer and your mileage has been DOCUMENTED to be 6,000 or more)

2) You MUST purchase the warranty within six months and this WILL be verified by HondaCare (HC) via your car's VIN when HC looks up your sale date.

I purchased the extended warranty mostly for the head unit (HU) integration - had the recirculating air function get stuck on our '97 CRV after four years and the HondaCare warranty covered the $900 that it cost...I can't fathom how much a new HU would cost...

BTW I did purchase our HondaCare warranty on the last day of my six months, it took about 2 hours to receive the approval email. Purchased from Saccucci Honda. Excellent transaction.

Best of luck you you.
Not sure about the 6 month thing. They added our Hondacare with probably 9 months on the clock but under 6,000 miles. Got the paperwork back and everything. Maybe the price goes up a smidge after 6 months, not sure. I think we paid $970 for 100,000 miles and max year timeframe 0 deductible.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No problem, I'll send my finders fee later...These forums are very helpful at times...
Yes, a big THANKS! By the way for those considering this, I just heard back from College Hills Honda and their price ($1,170) is now the same as Saccucci Honda.

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you buy an extended warranty from a Massachusetts dealer like Hyannis or Santucci you do not pay sales tax. Hyannis was $50 less than Santucci when I bought my extended warranty.

·
Registered
460 Posts
For Honda Care (manufacturer) extended warranties

'D' ($0 deductible) and 'C' ($100 deductible) plans are for new vehicles under 6000 miles
and start at original in-service date and 0 miles, maximum 96 months

'G' ($0 deductible) and 'F' ($100 deductible) plans are for vehicles over 6000 miles
and start at contract purchase date, maximum 60 months

I don't believe you can purchase a Honda Care plan after the original factory warranty has expired

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bumping this thread. I am looking to get the extended warranty on my CRV. I have that issue that is a no-no to talk about. I wanted to see what the prices people were getting on their extended warranty. I am adding mine a year into ownership. I went to honda website and said you can get extended warranty up to 36k miles.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Bumping this thread. I am looking to get the extended warranty on my CRV. I have that issue that is a no-no to talk about. I wanted to see what the prices people were getting on their extended warranty. I am adding mine a year into ownership. I went to honda website and said you can get extended warranty up to 36k miles.
As long as you don't live in FL, check Hyannis, or Saccucci. They will give you email quotes.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, as long as you haven't hit 36,000 miles you can still buy an HondaCare extended warranty - which is the only one I would (and did) buy. I bought my $0 deductible 8 year / 120,000 mile warranty online at Saccucci Honda (https://www.saccuccihondacare.com/). Very easy process. I'd never bought or believed in extended warranties before - but having it gave me the peace of mind I needed to deal with the OD issue. I also change my oil at 50% indicated life remaining - which so far is about every 4,500 miles.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Prices I was quoted in November 2017 for HondaCare.

College Hills Honda D82$1120,
Saccucci Honda D82 $1170, C82 $1065
Hyannis Honda D82 $1110, C82$1005
Curry Honda D82$1260, C82$1155

C82 $100 Deductible
D82 $0 Deductible

C/D= 120K miles, 8 years

1 - 20 of 62 Posts