Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies to those who will be tweaked and tell me to search. I am doing that also but have limited time. I go at 10 in the morning to sign paperwork. I went to Hyannis Honda website and got an email saying the 8 year 100k miles coverage would be $860. They don't say what that covers or includes, at least that I found. On the Honda website they have a lot of information but it isn't clear which is which. So for $860 you get 5 years extra coverage beyond the basic amount and 64,000 extra miles. So, how do I know what's what so tomorrow when they want to sell me on things I can compare apples to apples.

·
Registered
453 Posts
This should help:

https://www.saccuccihondacare.com/coverage.php

FYI - you have 6000 miles to buy HondaCare. Don't let them pressure you into making a decision tomorrow. The only extended coverage accepted at all Honda dealers is HondaCare. I have a friend who owned a Ford dealership and he didn't accept a lot of the 3rd party insurance companies that people had. Also, 3rd party companies can go out of business and you may not have any coverage. I doubt Honda is going to go out of business.

If the dealer is worth anything - they will give you time to decide on the warranty. If they won't - you can buy HondaCare from any dealer with the first 6,000 miles and you can even buy it later but it will cost more and won't cover as much.

You will only compare apples to apples if they sell HondaCare. http://www.hondafinancialservices.com/leasing/extended-services

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. That's a great cheat sheet. I was looking at the C80 plan. Saccucci is $930 and Hyannis is $860. It's a gamble whether it would ever be used at all and if so how much. I may tell them tomorrow if they can do it for no more than $799 I'll add it and see what happens.

The service plan seems to max out at 4 years with 48k miles for $765. My current car is at 9950 miles in 15.75 months or about 32k over 4 years. It talks about (Oil changes, rotations, etc.) but I don't know how much more is in the etc. portion. I can get free tire rotations at Discount Tire and 8 oil changes over 4 years for less than half the $765. I'll have to see if I can find more detail on what they include on that one.

Thanks again for the link. It's very informative.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I would definitely ask for them to match HondaCare and not a 3rd party warranty.

They will be surprised you have that information and may try to say that it may not be real. It is for real.

I didn't buy the maintenance program (oil changes, tire rotation, etc..).

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The guy wanted to sell a 3rd party, I forget the name, because they pay out 12% better than HondaCare according to him. I said HC only and he said it would be $1831. I showed him the email I got saying $860 from Hyannis. After that it was about 4 minutes of mostly silence other than "sign here" and "initial here" 30-40 times. I know these things are weighted in their favor so I probably won't get anything and hope I'm not one of the few that Murphy picks on. As an aside, my insurance went down $10 a month with the vehicle change so lunch once a month is on State Farm.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The guy wanted to sell a 3rd party, I forget the name, because they pay out 12% better than HondaCare according to him. I said HC only and he said it would be $1831. I showed him the email I got saying $860 from Hyannis. After that it was about 4 minutes of mostly silence other than "sign here" and "initial here" 30-40 times. I know these things are weighted in their favor so I probably won't get anything and hope I'm not one of the few that Murphy picks on. As an aside, my insurance went down $10 a month with the vehicle change so lunch once a month is on State Farm.
Good for you!

I wonder what 12% better means. Does that mean the CVT that may need to be released will be 12% better :)

BTW - what was the cost of the 3rd party warranty. The one they tried to sell me was much higher than HondaCare. I want to say $1800 and then dropped to $1500. I don't remember exactly.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure but what the $1831 he quoted was the third party one. He told me he'd show me their cost and it would be $1 more. I never saw anything after I cut him off at the pass.

·
Super Moderator
3,204 Posts
Nobody including dealers ever complains about Hondacare.
People always complain about third party warranties.
Truth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, the big question is should I buy a 8yr/100k Honda Care Warranty (D80, $0 deductible) from Hyannis Honda on my new 16 CR-V EX FWD for $965? I would really like to here some input from folks. Usually I would never buy an extended warranty, but their is a lot of tech in these new hondas, i.e. engine computer, CVT controls, cameras, touchscreen, etc. I am leaning toward yes on this one. I had an 08 Pilot hat was great but did need a transmission computer update, and valve adjust that cost us about $800 at about 5yrs/62,000 miles. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why pay $965 for $0 deductible instead of $860 with $100 deductible? Yeah, if you use it more than once you paid more but since it's a fair bet to never use it it saves a bit and using it once you still come out a value meal ahead.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I went with the $0 deductible. I went with the 8/120K warranty.

It is per item repaired. A friend worked at a car dealer and people would come in with 5 things wrong and would think 1 deductible would cover all 5. Wrong.

I hope that I lose money on this deal and never need to use it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I figured it was per visit but hadn't researched to find out. I can't imagine having 5 things on the list to fix. I'd hate to have even one but could see that as a definite maybe and if it cost more than $960 total I'd come out ahead with the $860 cost and $100 deductible rather than the $961 or higher repair bill.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We went ahead and purchased a 8yr/100k, 0 deductible HondaCare plan for $965 from Hyannis. Dealer wanted $1800+ for a 3rd party plan w/deductible. My wife only drives about 10k-11k/year, so no need for the 120k plan. Probably won't ever need the warranty it but it's sure nice to know it there.

We received such a good deal on the CR-V with end of year rebates, incentives, and financing, it was still a great overall value. The engine/trans/etc will probably be fine with regular maintenance, but there is just too much tech in these new cars and that CVT makes me nervous long term. Money in our savings is only earning 1% APY, so not worried about financing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts